This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Nvidia Shield, is it worth it?

#1MyloManePosted 6/29/2014 7:01:33 AM
It's only $199 right now, and there's a guy who's willing to sell his for 125 so I am wanting to get some feedback about this device.

Is it a nice piece of equipment to own?

The new feature that let's you connect to TV's is okay but I already do that with my PC.

I have a 680GTX graphics card so I can stream. Is the streaming really cool?

Can it not handle any ps2 games for emulation?

Any reasons why you think this device is worth mentioning please mention.
---
Add me Steam & Origin: MyloMane (BF4, Payday 2, Borderlands 2, Titanfall, much more)
My portrait website: yourvisionportrayed.com
#2SteamsterPosted 6/29/2014 7:50:28 AM
MyloMane posted...
Any reasons why you think this device is worth mentioning please mention.

I've seen other users mention using theirs, and they seemed to have really liked them. That's all I can really say.
#3ThePCElitistPosted 6/29/2014 7:54:01 AM
Worth it for half-life 2 on a mobile device.
---
When I'm Miq'ote
http://youtu.be/h3LGf9SSWrU
#4KURRUPTORPosted 6/29/2014 7:56:54 AM
Most people just have no need or desire for such a device. You seem to know what it is and what it can do, if you think you actually want a device that can do said things then get one.

Personally I feel like most people would just tinker around with it for a couple days saying "oh that's neat" then never touch the thing again because it's not a very practical device for doing much of anything...which is probably why the dude is trying to sell his.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#5WilIDearbornPosted 6/29/2014 8:02:41 AM
The Shield seems to be one of those "better in theory" devices. I like the idea of playing my PC games on a handheld, but everything I've read says that the actual experience is just not that great. It's rather heavy, the gamepad's quality is not very good and it only has a 720p screen. There are rumors of a Shield 2 being in development so I'll probably just wait and see how that turns out if it does.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#6farigontiPosted 6/29/2014 8:43:34 AM
It's fantastic but wait for the next one.
---
FC= 3265-4867-8550
#7SUPER3METROIDXPosted 6/29/2014 8:58:37 AM
Its okay I suppose
Streaming is rather overrated to me, it streams locally on a 720p screen, so why do that when you could just play at home with any control option on a big screen at full HD? Plus there are some annoying parts where if a game crashes or something, the thing fails to connect so you have to go back to your PC to fix it.

Mobile games only machine is awful and even worse on the shield due to how the screen is positioned. Movies or any apps are the same.

Emulation is an option, the shield can handle everything up to Dreamcast fine, no ps2 or GameCube though. Hardware is solid, controls are great, battery is amazing, and speakers are good. Unfortunately it just kind of is pointless since you could just buy a nexus 7 and use any controller with that and it'll handle emulation just as well while also having a bigger better screen and being more useful for other media and apps as well. The shield is somewhat of a flawed concept that's cooler in theory.