This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Baldur's gate modded vs. enhanced edition

#1giglamesh99Posted 6/29/2014 2:48:28 PM
Which are the superior versions? The enhanced edition of both games (1 & 2), or the base copies modded?

Particularly the first game running the graphics of the 2nd.
#2Cool_Dude667Posted 6/29/2014 2:49:50 PM(edited)
From what I heard the EE has a few stuff that can't be modded in(new companions and a arena or something), I have no idea how accurate this statement is though since I could never get into the games, even 10 years ago
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#3MaKhaosPosted 6/29/2014 2:49:33 PM
The masterset on gog right now is a great deal.
---
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day[9]
#4CatToyPosted 6/29/2014 2:51:34 PM(edited)
Why not both? At this point nearly every mod has been updated to run on the EE versions, with the remaining few still making the transition.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#5giglamesh99(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2014 2:54:23 PM
I guess it's more of a which is better scenario... Baldurs gate 1 EE or the base edition modded.

Also, I never played the series before so would it be better to play the first game as is, or use the base copy modded with neverwinter nights 2?
#6CatToyPosted 6/29/2014 2:58:59 PM
I'm not sure what you're asking.

I would get the EE versions just because they aren't a pain in the ass to get running and they solve problems that even mods can't fix.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#7NingishzidaPosted 6/29/2014 3:57:00 PM
CatToy posted...
I'm not sure what you're asking.

I would get the EE versions just because they aren't a pain in the ass to get running and they solve problems that even mods can't fix.

And what are those? Yes, I'm calling you out. I've been playing BG series for 15 years straight, so I know when you're talking BS.
#8NingishzidaPosted 6/29/2014 3:59:36 PM
giglamesh99 posted...
Which are the superior versions? The enhanced edition of both games (1 & 2), or the base copies modded?

Particularly the first game running the graphics of the 2nd.

You're not playing the first game if you run it in the second's engine. And that's that.

If you can't double-click a gog installer and play the game without issues, you simply don't have the aptitude to play these games. It really is that ****ing simple.
#9NingishzidaPosted 6/29/2014 4:11:27 PM
More topics about BG original vs EE, with me having a laugh at the "reasons" they choose EE:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/69507039
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/69539105

And this one, where I explain how playing BG1 in the BG2 engine, in general (EastTutu, BGT, BWP, EE), makes BG1 a very different, much easier game:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/75251-baldurs-gate/69352841

Ningishzida posted...
The underlying problem, though, is using the BG2 engine for BG1 (via Tutu, BGT or EE), it simply makes the game a cakewalk, I can't state that any clearer or conclusively, being as intimate as I am with the original game, since it came out.

The kits, the weapon styles, the "Rest Until Healed", Half-orcs, utterly nerfed waylays, nerfed rest respawns, 4 pips in a weapon at chargen, the larger ammo stacks (for quiver and shop storage), game pausing in inventory mode, double-speed walking, the difficulty slider for an easy max HPs cheat (and to control spawn size, I might add), and so on and so forth on and on it goes...

Even dual-wielding is OP, many people think its un-viable in BG1: Tutu, yet I soloed SCS with a dual-wielding Berserker...
#10snesmaster40Posted 6/29/2014 4:15:21 PM
Enhanced Edition's intro is pretty bad compared to the original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUmHRGyW8qQ
---
Are we not men?