This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Baldur's gate modded vs. enhanced edition

#31Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 6/29/2014 5:50:50 PM
Pretty good deal, definitely consider jumping on that if people don't own them yet. I can't see if the prices scale since I own them all, but if they do, be aware that a lot of those are stinkers and can be passed up unless it's cheaper just to add everything.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#32NingishzidaPosted 6/29/2014 5:54:09 PM
The only stinkers are:
Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone

Temple of Elemental Evil is awesome with the Co8 community patch.
#33Sir_Meowcat_EsqPosted 6/29/2014 6:37:51 PM
Ningishzida posted...
Sir_Meowcat_Esq posted...
EE has a much better looking modern resolution interface than the originals+widescreen/ui mods ... and that's about it for the positives.

Which if you maintain 4:3 aspect ratio on a widescreen display using hardware scaling of driver, isn't a positive at all, in fact, its unnecessary nonsense.

"Oh no, I have black borders!!" well, you used to play it with beige plastic borders of a CRT monitor, didn't you. So what's the problem..

final word is this: If you're playing BG1 in Tutu, BGT, EE or BWP, you're simply not playing BG1. See my quote above that details the fundamental changes playing BG1 in the BG2 engine causes.

Mmm, I don't know what you're trying to say there... why would you want to still use 4:3 when the option to go 16:9/10 is there and looks mostly fine (smaller menus being the only unwanted change in the modded version, which as I said is the one thing EE fixes and does better).

Maybe I'm misreading, but it seems you don't know there's a widescreen mod that doesn't use the BG2 engine transplant mods... it's nothing but nicer to look at, it doesn't change the game in any other way. Or are you just an extreme die-hard purist and even that is bad in your book... in which case, nvm!
#34chandl34Posted 6/29/2014 7:54:57 PM
Why would you want to run a 640x480 or 800x600 game at 1920x1080? Large monitors are good for watching TV from across the room, but not so great for games, especially since the characters are now less than half their original dimensions. I don't know about you, but when I'm sitting in front of my 1920x1080 monitor, I can't focus on the entire screen at once. I have to tilt my head and look both ways, like I'm turning into a busy intersection-- something I never had to do in the old days with 1024x768 monitors. So, I guess I don't really see the advantage.

Would you like to play a version of StarCraft at 1920x1080 where the units are smaller than the size of your mouse pointer and you can see almost a quarter of the map at once? Sounds like a nightmare.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#35CatToyPosted 6/29/2014 8:05:21 PM
chandl34 posted...
Would you like to play a version of StarCraft at 1920x1080 where the units are smaller than the size of your mouse pointer and you can see almost a quarter of the map at once? Sounds like a nightmare.

And this is why I prefer the EE versions. No scaling issues.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#36Sir_Meowcat_EsqPosted 6/29/2014 9:18:53 PM(edited)
chandl34 posted...
Why would you want to run a 640x480 or 800x600 game at 1920x1080? Large monitors are good for watching TV from across the room, but not so great for games, especially since the characters are now less than half their original dimensions. I don't know about you, but when I'm sitting in front of my 1920x1080 monitor, I can't focus on the entire screen at once. I have to tilt my head and look both ways, like I'm turning into a busy intersection-- something I never had to do in the old days with 1024x768 monitors. So, I guess I don't really see the advantage.

So, are you saying you want to play BG at 640x480 on a 29" monitor? I tried it for about 10 minutes before my eyes started bleeding from unreadable pixelated text. Upressing makes it look more in line with how it had always appeared before on my 13" CRT, the widescreen part is just bonus (and completely optional too! it's called the widescreen mod, but it does higher 4:3 resolutions just as well.). Sure, you can go too far... 1080 does make for tiny graphics, so a simple fix for that is don't go for such high resolution! 720 (800 as the mod mistakenly labels it) looks just about perfect to me, except again those smaller menus/movies (that one thing the EE version does do better again), but they're not too bad to me.

Whatever! All I'm saying is I would recommend the originals over the EE's for most people. The only reasonable case I'd recommend the EE's over the originals+mods is what that guy said:

CatToy posted...

Though I'd still try to point out other advantages the originals have (like more content mods)
#37NingishzidaPosted 6/29/2014 10:55:19 PM
CatToy posted...
chandl34 posted...

There are no scaling issues if you have common sense and use driver hardware scaling to maintain 4:3 aspect ratio, you're CREATING issues out of thin air by stupidly trying to play a game designed for 640*480 and 800*600 in 1920*1080.

As the above poster said, if you really must have widescreen cuz you're some kinda hipster who thinks its cool, then use 1280*720. The fonts are NOT too small, all that's stretched is the UI and if you can't deal with that, yet can deal with the GAME-PLAY flaws of playing BG1 in the BG2 engine, then "hypocrisy" is a word that immediately comes to my mind.

You can see when you play these games, that fog of war represents the field of play. there is no game-play/tactical reason for having a larger than 640*480 screen size, cuz, guess what, that's the LIMIT OF THE FOG OF WAR. Outside of the fog of war is GHOSTED. therefore, crying for "1920*1080 OR NO PLAY!!!1" is just acting like a petulant little current gen hipster who just doesn't get it.