This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do I fix "limited access" to my Internet which is Comcast

#1zerooo0Posted 6/30/2014 11:33:56 AM
This is happening a lot more than it should be, and I turned off my router for a minute turned it back on and I still get limited access. I think it's a problem on Comcast, so before I call them I thought about coming here to see if anyone else had this problem before and if they know a fix.

I hate our ISP's as I'm pretty sure it's a Comcast problem mainly because our phones won't work now also.

I wish we could get Google Fiber:(
---
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.--General Patton
#2KillerTrufflePosted 6/30/2014 11:35:50 AM
What do you mean "limited access?"
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#3Worknofun370Posted 6/30/2014 11:36:58 AM
KillerTruffle posted...

I'm assuming he means in Windows where it will pop up with the limited access icon on the network adapter. From my experience it's just that the intranet works but the internet is down/unreachable.

I would call comcast.
#4zerooo0(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2014 11:39:18 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

I'm assuming he means in Windows where it will pop up with the limited access icon on the network adapter. From my experience it's just that the intranet works but the internet is down/unreachable.

I would call comcast.

Exactly what I mean. And I was afraid if that, I really hate calling Comcast with their terrible customer service with some other person that I normally can't understand.

Again I hate our ISP's
---
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.--General Patton
#5KillerTrufflePosted 6/30/2014 11:40:07 AM
Ah. My own problem with Comcast is that internet browsing sucks - and I've done everything I can to fix it, including flushing the DNS, trying different DNS servers, restarting everything, and more. What's weird is I still download files just fine - max speed - and all the "tests" I run (speedtest, pings, etc.) typically do fine, but when it comes to streaming videos, loading web pages, etc., I get horrible delays. I can't even stream a 360p Youtube video any more 9 times out of 10.

I just haven't had a chance to call Comcast to complain yet.
---
#6KillerTrufflePosted 6/30/2014 11:41:11 AM
zerooo0 posted...
Exactly what I mean. And I was afraid if that, I really hate calling Comcast with their terrible customer service with some other person that I normally can't understand.

Again I hate our ISP's

Try asking to be transferred to a level 2 tech - those are *usually* native English speakers at least, and if that doesn't work, ask to speak to a native speaker.
---
#7ein311Posted 6/30/2014 11:42:12 AM
zerooo0 posted...
I'm pretty sure it's a Comcast problem mainly because our phones won't work now also.

If you have Comcast Digital Voice, the service relies on a functioning internet connection. Whenever I had that service and my internet connection went down, I'd immediately check my phone and if I had no dial tone, I knew the connection was down.

For me, it turned out that I was on a crappy connection and there was a ton of interference. The irritating thing was the techs that came out never checked anything beyond my connection to the house and replaced a few modems.
Comcast only checked on this matter when I moved my service to business class and had a business technician come out and do some connection readings, which resulted in a network trouble ticket being created. The connection is a whole lot better now than it used to be.

The only thing you can really do is contact Comcast whenever you have an outage and keep hounding them every time your internet goes down. Be polite in expressing your disappointment with the service but be relentless in telling them about your ongoing service problems. Keep a log that you can reference.
WIth Comcast's home internet packages, it is considered to be an "entertainment" service so you don't really have any sort of guaranteed availability, but if you continuously express how bad it is and have the information to back it up, you can usually get at least some sort of service credit.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#8Worknofun370Posted 6/30/2014 11:43:45 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Try asking to be transferred to a level 2 tech - those are *usually* native English speakers at least, and if that doesn't work, ask to speak to a native speaker.

This.

Of done this with more companies than just comcast and only once has my request been rejected. (A do get resistance at some locations though) So worth it when compared to asking someone to repeat what they just said 15 times.
#9zerooo0(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2014 11:44:17 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Ah. My own problem with Comcast is that internet browsing sucks - and I've done everything I can to fix it, including flushing the DNS, trying different DNS servers, restarting everything, and more. What's weird is I still download files just fine - max speed - and all the "tests" I run (speedtest, pings, etc.) typically do fine, but when it comes to streaming videos, loading web pages, etc., I get horrible delays. I can't even stream a 360p Youtube video any more 9 times out of 10.

I just haven't had a chance to call Comcast to complain yet.

I wish I could do the calling and complaining myself, but it's under my parents name so they won't even listen to my request unless I get my dad to call. I can't wait to move out of this house into where I'm staying at for college. The other house at least has a solid Internet, and that's between 7 other guys using it regularly.
---
#10pothocketPosted 6/30/2014 11:48:59 AM(edited)
Unplug the cable connection to your router along with the power. Plug in the power without the cable connection. Let your router reset on your end while comcast resets on their end. When your router is blinking the "cable" light and nothing else, you're ready to plug that back in.

Good luck
---
http://i.imgur.com/aBZ2Gww.gif http://i.imgur.com/HnzWmt3.gif