This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can a computer be too cold?

#1lost_withinPosted 6/30/2014 12:34:00 PM
So my computer runs about 25-27C, which is okay during the winter, because I keep the house at about 68F, but during the winter, I am a bit concerned that it might be too cold during the summer months and that condensation may for inside my computer, thus exposing components to water, essentially making clouds and rain in my computer... this is how science works right?

There is no way I can afford to keep the AC any cooler, any ideas?
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#2youngfossilPosted 6/30/2014 12:35:29 PM
not really
---
While I may not agree with your opinion, I will defend to the death your right to have it.
#3SinisterSlayPosted 6/30/2014 12:36:18 PM
Hard drives can be too cold.
That's about it though.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4KillerTrufflePosted 6/30/2014 12:38:50 PM
If your computer somehow ends up colder than the ambient air, yes. It will collect condensation, and moisture doesn't typically play well with electronics.

Since the only way to accomplish that is through phase cooling of some sort tho, chances are it should be no problem.

27C is roughly 80F, and I guarantee your temps will be higher than that if your ambient room temp ends up higher. And if the ambient room temp is colder, well, you won't have to worry about condensation in the computer anyway since it has to be *colder* than the surrounding air to cause a problem.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#5ShubPosted 6/30/2014 12:39:26 PM
Condensation is your enemy here, not the temperature. Extreme overclockers work with liquid nitrogen, sometimes even liquid helium, and the computer still works fine. As a general guideline, look up the standard operating temperature for your various components and go from there.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#62Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 6/30/2014 12:40:26 PM
I've heard CPUs shut down at around -100 C from liquid nitrogen cooling
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922