This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would a Windows 8 key work on 8.1 disc?

#1CremaciousPosted 6/30/2014 2:43:20 PM
I bought Windows 8 shortly after its release when Microsoft was selling them cheap. I recently built my brother a computer and used a newer 8.1 disc. I was wondering if I could make a personal copy of his disc and use my product key from Windows 8. That way next time I do a fresh install I can skip having to download the 8.1update.
#2foodeater4Posted 6/30/2014 2:56:15 PM
Should be fine, windows 8.1 is just an upgrade to windows 8. If you had vanilla windows 8, its just a free upgrade like a service pack and what not
#3LvthnPosted 6/30/2014 3:07:28 PM
foodeater4 posted...
Should be fine, windows 8.1 is just an upgrade to windows 8. If you had vanilla windows 8, its just a free upgrade like a service pack and what not

Yes, but you can't install Windows 8.1 from disk/USB/.iso with a Windows 8 key without converting the key, so there actually is not straight up crossover between keys despite the fact that the upgrade is free.

TC, I think someone once posted a key converter but I'll have to look for it. Otherwise you cannot install 8.1 directly from an 8 key, though you can install 8 and immediately update/upgrade for free after install.