This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My fun time with a Cox "Tech" tonight.

#1Treason686Posted 6/30/2014 8:04:49 PM(edited)
Thank you for choosing Cox Communications. A representative will be with you shortly.

You are now chatting with 'Allie B.'.

Allie B.: Welcome to Cox Online Technical Support. I will be assisting you throughout this chat session.

Chris: Hi!

Allie B.: I understand that you are having difficulties regarding your Cox Internet Service speed. Is that correct?

Chris: Yes. I said my upload was good. It is also fluctuating quite a bit. It was right initially, but now it's around 7Mbps

Chris: Download is reporting 5Mbps

Allie B.: I do apologize for this inconvenience.

Allie B.: To better assist you, I will need the following information: 1. 10-Digit Phone Number as it is listed on the account. 2. Your full name as it is listed on the account. 3. Your complete home address where the service is located. 4. The four-digit Cox PIN. 5. The Preferred contact email address.

Chris: : Redacted

Allie B.: Thank you.

Chris: A lot of info considering I'm logged into my account and talking to you via the Cox connection. Not your fault, but it's kinda silly.

Allie B.: Give me a moment, please.

Allie B.: I have verified that your modem has good signal levels.

Allie B.: To check the connectivity to your modem or router, follow these steps to run a "ping" test from your computer. Then we'll look at the data from the test.

1. Click the Start button located in the bottom left of your screen.
2. Click the Run option.
3. Enter cmd in the box and then press Enter on the keyboard. Result: A black window displays on the screen.
4. At the cursor, enter ipconfig and then press Enter.

Result: IP (Internet protocol) data displays. Note: You can use the scroll bar to move from the top to the bottom of the data.

5. Near the top of the data is a string of numbers labeled Default Gateway. The string of numbers may start with either 192.xx.xx.xx or 72.xx.xx.xx. Please write down the string of numbers including the 3 periods.

6. Scroll down to the bottom of the data. At the cursor, enter the word ping followed by the number you just wrote down. It will look something like this: ping 72.00.18.22. Press Enter.
If successful, you'll see the data from the ping test display. If you get an error, let me know.

Chris: I cannot ping the address.

Allie B.: . Here are a few suggestions to help troubleshoot slow speed difficulties with your Cox High Speed Internet service.

First, restart your computer and then clear the cache in the browser. When you have corrupted files or large number of files in your cache, Web pages may hang or not fully load. Browser programs will automatically regenerate these files as required. Performance will be increased if you disable the use of proxy servers, as none are used on the Cox network.

A. I will suggest you delete your Internet browser cookies and temporary files. To clear the cookies in Internet Explorer, please do the following:

1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. Click [Tools], then click [Internet Options].

3. Under "Temporary Internet files", click [Delete Cookies...]. The Delete cookies window will appear, Click [OK].

4. On the Internet Options window, Click [OK].

B. After performing the above procedure, please reset the cable modem by following these steps:

1. Turn off your computer.

2. Turn off the cable modem.

3. Wait 30 seconds.

4. Turn on the cable modem.

5. Turn on the computer.
---
I <3 segfault
#2Treason686(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2014 8:02:47 PM
Allie B.: I am going to reset your modem but that will finish this chat session. If the issue continues turn off the computer, connect the computer directly to the modem and turn on the computer again, then contact us in order to continue with other procedures.

Chris: Hold on a second.

Chris: Before you continue with the scripted response.

Chris: I've restarted the modem.

Chris: The cache has nothing to do with being able to ping the IP. What IP is that supposed to be?

Chris: This issue has been across several of my devices.

Allie B.: Need to do the ping test.

Allie B.: To make sure you are not loosing package.

You are not currently in a chat session.
---
I <3 segfault
#3Treason686(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2014 8:03:45 PM
And... Immediately disconnected. Of course, my internet is still not working correctly, and Allie did nothing to actually address any problem I was having. Ugh!
---
I <3 segfault
#4TimePharaohPosted 6/30/2014 8:04:34 PM
Did you download more ram
#5KingDFizzlePosted 6/30/2014 8:10:27 PM
Allie sounds hot though, you should have asked for her four digit pin IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.
#6LordSeiferPosted 6/30/2014 8:13:04 PM(edited)
how did you manage to mess up pinging your router?

but yeah deleting your cookies probably not gonna help with that
---
^ this
#7SedatedPosted 6/30/2014 8:14:05 PM
I used to do technical support and people calling in complaining about slow speeds was the worst.

There was zero we could do, we didn't even have any way to see what speeds they were currently getting. Replace the modem or send a tech. but you get ****ed at if you just send a modem, or a tech with out having them do a bunch of worthless trouble shooting that clearly isn't going to fix anything.

Sometimes if we were lucky we could see a generic problem w/ the signal or with the modem, but for slow speed it usually checked out fine.

Point being: Don't hold it against the tech support rep, hold it against your ISP.
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#8Treason686(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2014 8:17:24 PM
Sedated posted...
I used to do technical support and people calling in complaining about slow speeds was the worst.

There was zero we could do, we didn't even have any way to see what speeds they were currently getting. Replace the modem or send a tech. but you get ****ed at if you just send a modem, or a tech with out having them do a bunch of worthless trouble shooting that clearly isn't going to fix anything.

Sometimes if we were lucky we could see a generic problem w/ the signal or with the modem, but for slow speed it usually checked out fine.

Point being: Don't hold it against the tech support rep, hold it against your ISP.

I hold it against the tech rep, definitely. She kicked me out of the chat without even giving me a chance to say anything by copying and pasting responses, and then she can't even freaking spell. I don't even know what "loosing package" means.

Now the online chat is currently unavailable. She was in a rush to get me off the chat so she didn't have to deal with it.

From what you've said, there IS something you can do. You can call a tech.
---
I <3 segfault
#9SedatedPosted 6/30/2014 8:24:31 PM
Treason686 posted...
Sedated posted...

I hold it against the tech rep, definitely. She kicked me out of the chat without even giving me a chance to say anything by copying and pasting responses, and then she can't even freaking spell. I don't even know what "loosing package" means.

Now the online chat is currently unavailable. She was in a rush to get me off the chat so she didn't have to deal with it.

From what you've said, there IS something you can do. You can call a tech.

You can call a tech and probably get yelled at for doing so. You're right, she didn't want to deal with it, because your ISP makes it insanely frustrating for your issue to be dealt with since they want to save as much money as possible by not sending out modems or techs.

Do you really expect people to risk their job just so your slow internet speeds can get properly looked into? I used to do it because I didn't give any craps, but you can't expect most people to.

Also, idk what would possess you to use the live chat when you're having internet related issues. Did you seriously not figure they'd tell you to reset the modem? Did you not figure if there was anything they can do from their end it would require them to reset your connection? Next time call.
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#10Treason686(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2014 8:27:20 PM
A tracert pinging from the Florida Panhandle to New Orleans takes this route:
Florida -> Phoenix -> San Diego -> Virginia -> Colorado -> Texas -> New Orleans

Obviously some issues with the routes packets are going as well. Too late to call now, since I'll have to wait on hold forever. Needed a big download to finish tonight, but now it's lost work.
---
I <3 segfault