This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My fun time with a Cox "Tech" tonight.

#11Treason686(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2014 8:28:42 PM
Sedated posted...
Treason686 posted...
Sedated posted...
I used to do technical support and people calling in complaining about slow speeds was the worst.

There was zero we could do, we didn't even have any way to see what speeds they were currently getting. Replace the modem or send a tech. but you get ****ed at if you just send a modem, or a tech with out having them do a bunch of worthless trouble shooting that clearly isn't going to fix anything.

Sometimes if we were lucky we could see a generic problem w/ the signal or with the modem, but for slow speed it usually checked out fine.

Point being: Don't hold it against the tech support rep, hold it against your ISP.

I hold it against the tech rep, definitely. She kicked me out of the chat without even giving me a chance to say anything by copying and pasting responses, and then she can't even freaking spell. I don't even know what "loosing package" means.

Now the online chat is currently unavailable. She was in a rush to get me off the chat so she didn't have to deal with it.

From what you've said, there IS something you can do. You can call a tech.

You can call a tech and probably get yelled at for doing so. You're right, she didn't want to deal with it, because your ISP makes it insanely frustrating for your issue to be dealt with since they want to save as much money as possible by not sending out modems or techs.

Do you really expect people to risk their job just so your slow internet speeds can get properly looked into? I used to do it because I didn't give any craps, but you can't expect most people to.

Also, idk what would possess you to use the live chat when you're having internet related issues. Did you seriously not figure they'd tell you to reset the modem? Did you not figure if there was anything they can do from their end it would require them to reset your connection? Next time call.

How is calling and chatting any different? I was working on something when she abruptly cut off my internet.

How is this now MY FAULT? What in the hell is wrong with you? This is why you "used" to work support.
---
I <3 segfault
#12SedatedPosted 6/30/2014 8:33:05 PM
Treason686 posted...
Sedated posted...
Treason686 posted...
Sedated posted...
I used to do technical support and people calling in complaining about slow speeds was the worst.

There was zero we could do, we didn't even have any way to see what speeds they were currently getting. Replace the modem or send a tech. but you get ****ed at if you just send a modem, or a tech with out having them do a bunch of worthless trouble shooting that clearly isn't going to fix anything.

Sometimes if we were lucky we could see a generic problem w/ the signal or with the modem, but for slow speed it usually checked out fine.

Point being: Don't hold it against the tech support rep, hold it against your ISP.

I hold it against the tech rep, definitely. She kicked me out of the chat without even giving me a chance to say anything by copying and pasting responses, and then she can't even freaking spell. I don't even know what "loosing package" means.

Now the online chat is currently unavailable. She was in a rush to get me off the chat so she didn't have to deal with it.

From what you've said, there IS something you can do. You can call a tech.

You can call a tech and probably get yelled at for doing so. You're right, she didn't want to deal with it, because your ISP makes it insanely frustrating for your issue to be dealt with since they want to save as much money as possible by not sending out modems or techs.

Do you really expect people to risk their job just so your slow internet speeds can get properly looked into? I used to do it because I didn't give any craps, but you can't expect most people to.

Also, idk what would possess you to use the live chat when you're having internet related issues. Did you seriously not figure they'd tell you to reset the modem? Did you not figure if there was anything they can do from their end it would require them to reset your connection? Next time call.

How is calling and chatting any different? I was working on something when she abruptly cut off my internet.

How is this now MY FAULT? What in the hell is wrong with you? This is why you "used" to work support.

I used to work tech. support because I found a better paying job and quit.

She may have been rude and unprofessional but you don't appear to be the brightest bulb.

You honestly can't understand why it would have been a better idea for you to call to do troubleshooting as opposed to connecting through a chat using the service you're trying to do troubleshooting on? Seriously? This is probably why she disconnected the chat with you.

Lastly, it's late, which means it's -probably- the best time to call and you'll get someone on the phone quickly. Not a lot of people call this late at night (generally speaking)
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#13Treason686(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2014 8:40:05 PM
Oy. You support terrible service.

I'm not convinced you weren't fired. Good luck in your endeavors.

I'm a couple semesters from a Comp Sci degree, by the way.
---
I <3 segfault
#14MortalDangerPosted 6/30/2014 8:41:44 PM
You gotta get on the phone. Nothing beats it. Talking to someone directly always, always, always trumps text. Also be sure to list everything you know right away and always disagree with what they say and why. You'll be connected to someone who is actually competent before you know it. Then get the guys direct number. Viola, no issue with this again :)
---
God Bless America.
#15TimePharaohPosted 6/30/2014 8:42:16 PM
"Hey guys I'm having internet problems let me talk to someone over the internet"

"wtf I lost connection to the person while working on my internet connection. garbage!!1#!#!34!!!!"

You sound like you belong in a garage with all the hammers and wrenches.
#16ChaapPosted 6/30/2014 8:43:28 PM
i don't study comp sci yet somehow i understand that troubleshooting your internet connection with a service that requires an uninterrupted connection is silly
---
"Some people are just dumb"
#17Fade2black001Posted 6/30/2014 8:43:41 PM
Sedated posted...

Oh really? I gathered from talking to tech support with my ISP. Its only in like 4 states so not hugely big or anything. Anyways... From what they said they can see and monitor anyones speed they are currently getting. They can also increase or decrease your speed with a few mouse clicks as well. Or something. I know that they can pretty much do it in less than 30 secs.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#18SleepComaPosted 6/30/2014 8:45:52 PM
I can't take my eyes off you.
---
http://gfycat.com/FoolishThinIslandwhistler
#19SedatedPosted 6/30/2014 8:46:11 PM
Treason686 posted...

Please do us all a favor and just go see if Wendy's is hiring.
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#20mrtywerPosted 6/30/2014 8:49:41 PM(edited)
Treason686 posted...

Maybe spend your money on a different degree? I kind of agree with Sedated - Chat support is the worst. THE. WORST. way to get an issue resolved, especially if you are chatting on the service that you're having an issue with. I used to work tech support too, on mobile phones. When someone calls, saying they're having problems calling, but they're on their cell phone? That's you, right now.

Secondly, on the support agent's side of things - Her spelling could easily be a result of her hurrying to type, with a clearly irate customer. Speaking over the phone, I've made my share of blunders because someone was pissed. Also, environments like a mass-contact center are really, really hostile, and if you don't follow the company's instructions to the letter you are generally disciplined. Doesn't matter what your problem is, there are basic troubleshooting steps that need to be taken so that the company isn't liable for someone skipping a step that could have fixed it.

Thirdly, and most importantly - internet speeds quoted by companies are not a guarantee of that specific speed, all the time. Each company has a specific amount of bandwidth that they can move information through, and if someone else (or someone elses, if it's more than one person) happens to be using more than usual, you are probably going to see a speed degradation of your service because they don't have the overhead to back up your shady internet dealings anymore. You are not their only customer, and they do not have to cater to your every world wide whim.

I can't say I wouldn't have restarted your modem, were I in her shoes. You sound like a terrible person to try to help.
---
MSI H87-G43 | Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8G Gskill Ripjaws X @ 1600 | Sapphire Radeon R7 260x