This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My fun time with a Cox "Tech" tonight.

#21HydroCannabinolPosted 6/30/2014 7:49:09 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#22SedatedPosted 6/30/2014 7:50:13 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
Sedated posted...
I used to do technical support and people calling in complaining about slow speeds was the worst.

There was zero we could do, we didn't even have any way to see what speeds they were currently getting. Replace the modem or send a tech. but you get ****ed at if you just send a modem, or a tech with out having them do a bunch of worthless trouble shooting that clearly isn't going to fix anything.

Sometimes if we were lucky we could see a generic problem w/ the signal or with the modem, but for slow speed it usually checked out fine.

Point being: Don't hold it against the tech support rep, hold it against your ISP.

Oh really? I gathered from talking to tech support with my ISP. Its only in like 4 states so not hugely big or anything. Anyways... From what they said they can see and monitor anyones speed they are currently getting. They can also increase or decrease your speed with a few mouse clicks as well. Or something. I know that they can pretty much do it in less than 30 secs.

It differs from ISP to ISP, some are certainly set up a lot better than others in terms of what their tech support departments are able to do.

Even if they can change the provisioned speed that's only a fix if the customer somehow ended up at a lower speed than they should be provisioned for (Which does happen sometimes.)
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#23Fade2black001Posted 6/30/2014 7:51:25 PM
HydroCannabinol posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Sedated posted...
I used to do technical support and people calling in complaining about slow speeds was the worst.

There was zero we could do, we didn't even have any way to see what speeds they were currently getting. Replace the modem or send a tech. but you get ****ed at if you just send a modem, or a tech with out having them do a bunch of worthless trouble shooting that clearly isn't going to fix anything.

Sometimes if we were lucky we could see a generic problem w/ the signal or with the modem, but for slow speed it usually checked out fine.

Point being: Don't hold it against the tech support rep, hold it against your ISP.

Oh really? I gathered from talking to tech support with my ISP. Its only in like 4 states so not hugely big or anything. Anyways... From what they said they can see and monitor anyones speed they are currently getting. They can also increase or decrease your speed with a few mouse clicks as well. Or something. I know that they can pretty much do it in less than 30 secs.

Do you make statements like this on purpose as a gimmick or are you just that stupid in general?

What?
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#24mrtywerPosted 6/30/2014 7:53:26 PM(edited)
Sedated posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Sedated posted...

It differs from ISP to ISP, some are certainly set up a lot better than others in terms of what their tech support departments are able to do.

Even if they can change the provisioned speed that's only a fix if the customer somehow ended up at a lower speed than they should be provisioned for (Which does happen sometimes.)

Yeah, support companies don't have the ability to monitor any sort of speed on a specific device/network 'in only a few clicks', only whether that endpoint is connected or not. Beyond that, it's sort of a crapshoot on the tech support side. In order to change the speed of a service network, the plan that is set up with that location has to be changed, to a different speed tier. It's kind of a long process.
---
MSI H87-G43 | Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8G Gskill Ripjaws X @ 1600 | Sapphire Radeon R7 260x
#25Fade2black001Posted 6/30/2014 7:52:02 PM
Sedated posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Sedated posted...

Makes sense.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#26SedatedPosted 6/30/2014 8:03:02 PM
Who wants to bet everything the OP is running speed tests on is connecting through wireless.
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
#27mrtywerPosted 6/30/2014 8:07:25 PM
Sedated posted...
Who wants to bet everything the OP is running speed tests on is connecting through wireless.

From outside, in the backyard.
---
MSI H87-G43 | Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8G Gskill Ripjaws X @ 1600 | Sapphire Radeon R7 260x
#28SedatedPosted 6/30/2014 8:13:02 PM
mrtywer posted...
Sedated posted...

With an I-phone 3 he wrapped in aluminum foil to better protect.
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
#29mrtywerPosted 6/30/2014 8:17:47 PM
Sedated posted...
mrtywer posted...
Sedated posted...

With an I-phone 3 he wrapped in aluminum foil to better protect.

In the deep end of the pool.
---
#30Canas_RenvallPosted 6/30/2014 8:25:04 PM
Did TC just complain about trying to use chat on the internet to try to fix issues with the internet? Not only is using chat dumber than straight up calling, but... using the internet to fix the internet is... ugh... XD
---
I don't see Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony. I see Mario, Zelda, Uncharted, Resident Evil, Gears of War, Alan Wake, Heavy Rain, etc. Play games, not companies.