This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for a mobile computing device. Gaming laptop or convertible/tablet?

#1TehPwnzererPosted 6/30/2014 10:01:18 PM
Here's the thing. I'm about to drop a grand+ on something I can store in my backpack and take with me wherever I go. My job allows me to screw the pooch providing I get the job done.

On the one hand, I'm really eyeing up the surface pro 3. Lightweight, thin, easily stashable, can pull it out with ease whenever I want to catch up on tv or read a book.

On the other hand, part of me is saying if you're going to get a surface pro, why not just get a convertible laptop such as the Lenovo Yoga or Sony Flip? That way you have that tablet form factor you want, but with a much more capable device that can act as a full PC wherever you go?

But then this third part of me is saying dude, if it's more horsepower you want out of your device, why not get a gaming laptop (inb4pharoh) so that the possibility of playing games at work is there for you to enjoy?

I'm at a crossroads. Every device I'm looking at is at most, 1200 dollars. I love the lightweight factor of a tablet, but for 1200, I could get an entire computer to take with me. If you had the money to spend on a mobile computing device, what would it be?
#2TimePharaohPosted 6/30/2014 10:04:15 PM(edited)
Stupid question? The **** do we know what you want it for? A smart person would reason if you want to play games, probably wouldn't go for a tablet, but if you want to "catch up on TV or read a book", a similarly smart person would reason a tablet would make more sense.

But then a smart person also wouldn't think gaming laptops are a thing, so...
#3TehPwnzerer(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2014 10:06:55 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Stupid question? The **** do we know what you want it for? A smart person would reason if you want to play games, probably wouldn't go for a tablet, but if you want to "catch up on TV or read a book", a similarly smart person would reason a tablet would make more sense.

I wouldn't feel complete if I didn't get a response from you.
#4SleepComaPosted 6/30/2014 10:08:35 PM
TimePharaoh posted...

Haha
---
http://gfycat.com/FoolishThinIslandwhistler
#5Snagg57Posted 7/1/2014 6:48:23 AM(edited)
I currently have the Surface Pro 1, and from what I've been keeping track of with the Surface Pro 3 in addition to playing with a friend's SP3, is that while the SP3 is a really good product, its only good if yours is not messed up. The SP3 is having many minor bugs that may or may not annoy you, such as:

-Not Sleeping correctly and waking up in your bookbag.
-WiFi randomly not working
-Performance Throttling
-The Rear camera having worse than "acceptable" picture quality.
-WiFi Speed on battery is capped to 6-10Mbps.

Of course all of these save for the camera quality can be fixed with firmware updates. Seeing as the SP3 has only been out for around 2 weeks, Microsoft should have a patch in a week or two. (MS sends firmware updates every month)

Also something to note about the SP3 is that it has a 3:2 Aspect Ratio, so there will be some letter boxing if you watch videos.

Otherwise if all of the previous sounds reasonable for you the SP3 is a really good device for its size, being only 9mm thick it is nearly as thin as an iPad with the power of a full PC.

Then the Pros of the SP3 are:

-Extremely light device
-"8" hour battery life (Realistically expect 5-6 w/ normal workloads)
-N-Trig Digitizer pen (Some people see this as a con, but it makes no difference to me IMO)
-Intel i3, i5, or i7 ($799, $999, $1599 respectively)
-USB 3.0 port
- Micro SDXC slot (Supports up to 128GB cards)
-12in 2160x1440 display (213ppi)
-Monthly driver updates (I've never had a product that got device specific updates monthly before)

Also conveniently for you a recent comparison video between Lenovo Yoga and Surface Pro 3 has been posted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6v5T5WLWjs
#6PhilOnDezPosted 7/1/2014 6:53:38 AM
I haven't watched any formal reviews of it but after having seen Linus of Linus Tech Tips talk about the Pro 3 it's definitely not something I'd consider for personal use. Between the odd resolution/aspect ratio, limited expandability (single microSD slot), and just all around flimsiness (not a matter of build quality as that seems solid, it's just a combination of the design choices they made to make it as Tablet-y as possible) it just doesn't really offer anything I want.

I would pick up a random ultrabook/convertible for personal use but I wouldn't likely use it for gaming aside from minecraft which would run well enough on pretty much anything so long as the CPU held up.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez