This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Master of Orion

#1darkmaian23Posted 7/1/2014 10:10:36 AM
I'm trying to play through the original Master of Orion game, and I feel like I just don't get it. I've played other strategy games before and I read the manual. I don't feel I really understand how the game is supposed to flow. Can a seasoned player offer some advice? I know the game is ancient, but it is famous enough that I was hoping someone here would have played it.
#2KillerTrufflePosted 7/1/2014 10:15:01 AM
I played it some, but I always liked MOO2 much better than the original. Gameplay-wise, both are fairly similar tho... what are you having problems with? Basically it boils down to expanding (but not so fast you can't keep up with supporting all the new colonies/planets while they grow), researching tech upgrades, and eventually building up a fleet, while dealing with diplomacy and stuff. Good idea to try not to piss any of the other races off until you have a fleet with a halfway decent chance of defending yourself...
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#3solosnakePosted 7/1/2014 10:31:48 AM
Play MOO2 if you havent already. One of the greatest games of all time imo. I still havent found a space 4X I like more.
---
"We would have no NBA possibly if they got rid of all the flopping." ~ Dwyane Wade
http://thankyouchrishansen.com/
#4KillerTrufflePosted 7/1/2014 10:33:25 AM
^ I do like Galactic Civilizations II a whole lot - especially with the ship customization options visually in addition to loadouts - but yeah, MOO2 still holds a special place in my heart. heh
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#5darkmaian23(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2014 2:06:44 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
I played it some, but I always liked MOO2 much better than the original. Gameplay-wise, both are fairly similar tho... what are you having problems with? Basically it boils down to expanding (but not so fast you can't keep up with supporting all the new colonies/planets while they grow), researching tech upgrades, and eventually building up a fleet, while dealing with diplomacy and stuff. Good idea to try not to piss any of the other races off until you have a fleet with a halfway decent chance of defending yourself...

Thank you for the tips!
#6TanonPosted 7/1/2014 3:19:27 PM
solosnake posted...
Play MOO2 if you havent already. One of the greatest games of all time imo. I still havent found a space 4X I like more.

Agreed completely.
---
GT- Renarka.
TaCoS - All the gas. None of the TexMex
#7kelemvorPosted 7/1/2014 5:46:21 PM(edited)
MoO2 is one of my favorite strategy games of all time. For a first time gamer, I would recommend making a custom race and making sure you have the 'creative' and 'democracy' traits so you can get all the techs and learn about all the base improvements.

To get both of those traits (they are expensive), take a negative modifier in ground attack, spying, or maybe ship defence. (You'll get all the nice ship armor anyway by out-teching the AI).

After playing with a God tier custom race, you can go back and learn how to play with the various shortcomings and strengths of the regular races.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#8DC07301981Posted 7/1/2014 5:44:04 PM
I've never played Master of Orion or it's sequels but isn't the Space Empires series similar to Master of Orion?

I bought the Space Empires IV and V bundle off Steam a few months ago and started playing them but am lost as to how to attain victory in that game. I tried to play it after doing the tutorial and then crashing and burning through the game to learn it but I still don't fully understand it.

Have to re-install it to the HD and try it again when I have time.
#9kelemvorPosted 7/1/2014 5:53:58 PM(edited)
DC07301981 posted...
I've never played Master of Orion or it's sequels but isn't the Space Empires series similar to Master of Orion?

I bought the Space Empires IV and V bundle off Steam a few months ago and started playing them but am lost as to how to attain victory in that game. I tried to play it after doing the tutorial and then crashing and burning through the game to learn it but I still don't fully understand it.

Have to re-install it to the HD and try it again when I have time.

MoO2 is like chess where the mechanics are simple but the strategy and tactics are very deep. The game is very unlike chess though in how random it can be. Sometimes it can be totally unfair but the AI can be exploited.

Other 4x games are either too complex or boring as the game goes on and the micromanagement gets out of hand. Also, MoO2 has turn based ship battles that are fast paced and exciting. They run a little *too* fast on modern PC'S though, unless there is a mod to fix the scroll speed.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane