This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Developers really have to stop pandering to these idiots.

#51jernasPosted 7/3/2014 10:59:32 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#52SonyHoundDawgPosted 7/3/2014 11:18:25 AM
Games packed with woman but I probably can't play as one right ubisoft? As usual your games are complete sausagefests besides the one lackluster handheld AC title. To scarced to make a female main the one of the main games of the series?
#53ZeroRaiderPosted 7/3/2014 1:18:19 PM
Loshadt posted...
ZeroRaider posted...
Whether you neckbeards like it or not, it's a valid complaint.

The fact that you can easily remember every game with a female protagonist and type them all up in seconds in a single post is a testament to this fact.

See how many years it takes you to type up every game with a male protagonist.

It's not a valid complaint in most cases. Why the f*** does it matter who the protagonist is

Because it's time.

I'm tired of every protagonist being male. It is boring.

At this point a male protagonist is a hindrance to a game and not a help because it is so overdone.

And this will never change until people start complaining. And they are. Which is good.
#54JuliafanAMPosted 7/3/2014 1:29:08 PM
Loshadt posted...
ZeroRaider posted...

The fact that you can easily remember every game with a female protagonist and type them all up in seconds in a single post is a testament to this fact.

It's not a valid complaint in most cases. Why the f*** does it matter who the protagonist is as long as it fits thematically? Keep this in mind: I don't care if I play as a dude or a woman, or a black man or a black woman, or a gay femme-dimensional Reptoid from the planet Kleep, as long as it makes sense. What I do care about is people making a big deal about games being diverse, it's cancer.

What statements like Ubisoft's tell me is that they're more concerned with filling a quota and satiating a histrionic minority than they are with making a good game. This massive influx of internet crusaders is out to make everyone else as miserable as they are, because the intelligent solution of going out and making their own damn games would involve them getting off their fat gender-neutral asses and actually accomplishing something worthwhile rather than b****ing endlessly on Twitter about a woman being too attractive in a video game.

People do care who the protagonist is. It forms a connection to the person and allows them to relate to characters. It's why most fictional characters are humans and why we anthropomorphize characters that are not.

We form those connections based on how similar they are to us. Just being human is one thing, gender is another, also race, and sexuality. Among a number of other things, including personality and the like.

As for the number of minorities increasing, maybe their increasing not just because of social justice warriors, but because there's a viable market for them now and they're not as much racism/homophobia/sexism? Try marketing games like that even twenty years ago and that reception would be horrible. Still is in some cases...

We're just getting off the ground with these things and I think people ARE starting to create their own games. And you're aware development teams can be multi-racial, be both sexes and have numerous sexualities right? It's not just straight white males creating games anymore and maybe the team themselves wanted to be inclusive.
#55LoshadtPosted 7/3/2014 1:36:00 PM(edited)
ZeroRaider posted...

At this point a male protagonist is a hindrance to a game and not a help because it is so overdone.

And this will never change until people start complaining. And they are. Which is good.

What would the character being a woman do to change the story of games in any meaningful way? If the character's gender, sexuality, or race have no meaningful impact on the story or gameplay then it's safe to say those factors do not matter.

I don't care whether I play as a woman or a man, or someone of a different race (except Prototype 2, which was a goddamn crime against god) because I'm not a shallow petty individual. And that's exactly the type of person who would be upset by a character's gender or race on EITHER side, a shallow and petty individual.

JuliafanAM posted...
As for the number of minorities increasing, maybe their increasing not just because of social justice warriors, but because there's a viable market for them now and they're not as much racism/homophobia/sexism? Try marketing games like that even twenty years ago and that reception would be horrible. Still is in some cases...

We're just getting off the ground with these things and I think people ARE starting to create their own games. And you're aware development teams can be multi-racial, be both sexes and have numerous sexualities right? It's not just straight white males creating games anymore and maybe the team themselves wanted to be inclusive.

I don't care about the number of minorities increasing, I care about them thinking that the number of minorities increasing is something worth announcing as some sort of feature or a reason to buy the game. The reason it's announced is to appease the slavering mass of Twitter nuts who rip into games for having a woman who's too pretty or not enough black people, as if these things even matter.

And as far as creating their own games go, I'm talking about the Tumblr crusaders who whine about how oppressed they are because something isn't in a video game, the people who care more about bringing other games down than bringing their own games into the picture.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#56steveboblarryPosted 7/3/2014 1:31:46 PM
ZeroRaider posted...
Loshadt posted...
ZeroRaider posted...

It's not a valid complaint in most cases. Why the f*** does it matter who the protagonist is

Because it's time.

you sir sound insane. "At this point a male protagonist is a hindrance to a game"

What the frak. I really had no idea there were so many beta/ white knights on gaming message boards
---
IceJFish is the next drake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_d8VSM0nw
#57JuliafanAMPosted 7/3/2014 1:33:03 PM
Loshadt posted...
ZeroRaider posted...

What would the character being a woman do to change the story of games in any meaningful way? If the character's gender, sexuality, or race have no meaningful impact on the story or gameplay then it's safe to say those factors do not matter.

I don't care whether I play as a woman or a man, or someone of a different race (except Prototype 2, which was a goddamn crime against god) because I'm not a shallow petty individual. And that's exactly the type of person who would be upset by a character's gender or race on EITHER side, a shallow and petty individual.

Gender influences a lot of interactions. Just like it does in irl. Any well written female driven movie or tv show doesn't ignore this aspect, why should a game? Unless they're extremely marginalized character that hardly have speaking roles (like the Portal girl).

I care because it is different and it deserves to acknowledged.
#58ZeroRaiderPosted 7/3/2014 1:37:47 PM
Loshadt posted...
ZeroRaider posted...

Beyond Good & Evil, Perfect Dark, and Mirror's Edge all would be irreparably damaged if their protagonists were male.
#59LoshadtPosted 7/3/2014 1:39:04 PM
JuliafanAM posted...
Any well written female driven movie or tv show doesn't ignore this aspect, why should a game? Unless they're extremely marginalized character that hardly have speaking roles (like the Portal girl).

I care because it is different and it deserves to acknowledged.

Think of my argument like this: A lot of people complain about X game not having a female protagonist. Let's use Deus Ex as an example (just because). What would J.C. Denton being a woman do to change the game? Well how does him being a man affect the game? When he walks into the woman's bathroom, that's pretty much it. You could exchange "he" with "she" through the entire game and almost nothing would change.

THAT is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I have nothing against a game starring a woman, and have no issues welcoming more into the mix, what I take umbrage to is people complaining about CERTAIN games not starring a woman, as if it contributes to that game in any meaningful way.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#60JKatarnPosted 7/3/2014 1:39:36 PM
They're going after that oh so tricky 14-21 market, I think more boobs and guns just might do the trick.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES