This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Developers really have to stop pandering to these idiots.

#61JuliafanAMPosted 7/3/2014 12:44:13 PM
Loshadt posted...
I don't care about the number of minorities increasing, I care about them thinking that the number of minorities increasing is something worth announcing as some sort of feature or a reason to buy the game. The reason it's announced is to appease the slavering mass of Twitter nuts who rip into games for having a woman who's too pretty or not enough black people, as if these things even matter.

And as far as creating their own games go, I'm talking about the Tumblr crusaders who whine about how oppressed they are because something isn't in a video game, the people who care more about bringing other games down than bringing their own games into the picture.

Who cares what marketing does, tho? It's not that important. If executives want to pat themselves on the back, let them. What's important is getting the characters in the game and if they're really good characters or not. If they're not, then rail on them. If they are, it's fine.

I don't see it any different from any other complaining gamers do. People complain and don't do anything about what their complaining about for lots of things.
#62LoshadtPosted 7/3/2014 12:49:02 PM
JuliafanAM posted...
Who cares what marketing does, tho? It's not that important. If executives want to pat themselves on the back, let them. What's important is getting the characters in the game and if they're really good characters or not. If they're not, then rail on them. If they are, it's fine.

I don't see it any different from any other complaining gamers do. People complain and don't do anything about what their complaining about for lots of things.

I care what marketing does, and you should to, because how they market the game can tell you a lot about what to expect from it. I can tell you I wasn't expecting much out of Battlefield 3 when their whole marketing campaign revolved around "we're better than CoD, guys!"

Marketing Dorian as a gay character is worthy of derision, because it sends the message that gay people care more about having representation than they do about having positive representation.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#63JuliafanAMPosted 7/3/2014 12:50:52 PM
Loshadt posted...
JuliafanAM posted...
Any well written female driven movie or tv show doesn't ignore this aspect, why should a game? Unless they're extremely marginalized character that hardly have speaking roles (like the Portal girl).

I care because it is different and it deserves to acknowledged.

Think of my argument like this: A lot of people complain about X game not having a female protagonist. Let's use Deus Ex as an example (just because). What would J.C. Denton being a woman do to change the game? Well how does him being a man affect the game? When he walks into the woman's bathroom, that's pretty much it. You could exchange "he" with "she" through the entire game and almost nothing would change.

THAT is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I have nothing against a game starring a woman, and have no issues welcoming more into the mix, what I take umbrage to is people complaining about CERTAIN games not starring a woman, as if it contributes to that game in any meaningful way.

Well the biggest thing is the romance options. It's nice seeing guys in supporting roles sometimes. Relationship with characters are also different and how they respond to situations can be different, since developers seem to pigeon hole male personalities into the "must be badass and never shown emotion" trope (especially in western media), which is easier to break with women.

Then you have the underestimating women factor. It's part of why the horror genre love the "last woman" standing trope so much.
#64JuliafanAMPosted 7/3/2014 12:54:38 PM
Loshadt posted...
JuliafanAM posted...

I care what marketing does, and you should to, because how they market the game can tell you a lot about what to expect from it. I can tell you I wasn't expecting much out of Battlefield 3 when their whole marketing campaign revolved around "we're better than CoD, guys!"

Marketing Dorian as a gay character is worthy of derision, because it sends the message that gay people care more about having representation than they do about having positive representation.

Marketing doesn't tell anything significant about games. At most, I pay attention to what features they highlight, the combat and maybe the atmosphere of the game. It's not going to tell you much about the quality (plot or otherwise). Those are more discernible from the developers track record of games.

If I recall, Bioware isn't marketing him as such. The interviewer did, the developer being asked those questions made an off-note comment on it which was blown up.
#65LoshadtPosted 7/3/2014 1:00:23 PM
JuliafanAM posted...
If I recall, Bioware isn't marketing him as such. The interviewer did, the developer being asked those questions made an off-note comment on it which was blown up.

Interviews are still marketing to a certain extent, it just isn't as overt. And if you aren't taking anything from how something is being marketed, then to be honest you just aren't looking hard enough. They marketed Dark Souls 2 as "the mostest hardcore game evar", and boy it sure is tough, but that's pretty much all it is. It isn't fun.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#66monkmithPosted 7/3/2014 1:03:53 PM
Padraigo52 posted...
Steamster posted...
Padraigo52 posted...
Just saw in the news feed today "Farcry 4 is packed to the gills with women"

Stopped reading here

Please God let this be true or my preorder is about to be cancelled

Yeh just like you canceled your Tomodachi Life preorder because it didnt have same sex relationships, rite?

Keep walking, buddy.

wasn't the whole blow up about tomadachi the fact that it had same sex relationships but they patched it out?

anyway, i don't really care about any of this ****. i just wish they would stop making such a big deal about it. i'd much rather hear a game reviewer pointing out the amazing amount of PC'ness when he first plays the game then to have to see stupid pr statements about game companies including 'realistic gay npc' or 'diverse genders and races'.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
#67JuliafanAMPosted 7/3/2014 1:09:15 PM(edited)
Loshadt posted...
JuliafanAM posted...

Interviews are still marketing to a certain extent, it just isn't as overt. And if you aren't taking anything from how something is being marketed, then to be honest you just aren't looking hard enough. They marketed Dark Souls 2 as "the mostest hardcore game evar", and boy it sure is tough, but that's pretty much all it is. It isn't fun.

It is, but context is important. He was asked that question, he didn't advertise it.

It's more that I don't take it seriously. ofc a game is going to market itself out to be the best thing since slice bread, it's trying to make money. It's the same thing in advertisement in other mediums. For more reliable judgements, you look to customer reviews, various research sources or sampling.
#68ShadowThaReaperPosted 7/3/2014 1:33:40 PM
It's funny because most often, it's white guys who get offended over lack of diversity. Pathetic.

https://i.imgur.com/SA37j8P.jpg
#69SecretTryhardPosted 7/6/2014 12:08:31 AM
I hate political correctness. If someone doesn't like something about a certain product, then they should not use it. If they want something that suits their own taste, they should just make it themselves. I believe we have bigger and more urgent issues on the planet than how people are represented in video games. Some people are just way too spoiled.
---
"Is this 911? Yeah, hi, I'd like to report a BAKA weeaboo!"
#70daniel79Posted 7/6/2014 12:31:22 AM
MGS_GZ2014 posted...
Now we need disabled people in games.

The best character in GTA V was! ;)