This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the AMD FX 6300 bad for gaming?

#41KURRUPTORPosted 7/2/2014 5:15:51 PM
Perform like they are on old sockets? Wtf does that even mean?
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#42ShebeskiiPosted 7/2/2014 5:17:01 PM
KURRUPTOR posted...
Perform like they are on old sockets? Wtf does that even mean?

Considering AMD has per core performance from like 5 years ago, some aspects of their CPU performance is in line with a CPU that hasn't had a socket change in years.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#43ShebeskiiPosted 7/2/2014 5:29:33 PM(edited)
If your goal is to make a mid range PC to play games like Grid, Trine 2, BF, Dark souls, Max Payne, Tomb Raider etc. an AMD CPU is a decent choice. No one will doubt that. It's a better multitasker too for the price point, usually.

If your goal is to make a mid range PC to play games like Guild Wars, WoW, Planet Side 2, SC2, Rome 2, Civ 5, Anno, ARMA, Skyrim, Ubi titles and odd balls like Crysis 1 and Next Car Game, an AMD CPU is not a good choice. Not whatsoever.

The Intel CPU gives you the ability to maximize your GPU usage in almost every title mentioned or conceivable at all.

The AMD CPU has you floating 70% GPU usage (if you're lucky in the worse scenarios) across a wide range of PC centered titles.

People don't like a CPU that falters in PC centered titles.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#44PhilOnDezPosted 7/2/2014 5:26:16 PM
There's also all the missing/gimped chipset features. No M.2, there's like one mobo with msata, no sata express, no decent mATX boards with front panel USB 3 support, no APU support (nearly every mainstream intel CPU is actually an APU), none that offer built-in wifi, and no mITX options.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#45KURRUPTORPosted 7/2/2014 5:29:04 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#46WyzeGyePosted 7/2/2014 5:29:30 PM
Lol @ the fanboy responding to every post in the thread
---
http://puu.sh/8IK8Q/8e25ebacb7.jpg [My Rig + Specs] - - - - http://youtu.be/cfh4MK6kW3w
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.
#47ShebeskiiPosted 7/2/2014 5:30:19 PM
WyzeGye posted...
Lol @ the fanboy responding to every post in the thread

Cretinous.
---
#48PhilOnDezPosted 7/2/2014 5:36:05 PM
KURRUPTOR posted...
Lmao, you have no clue what you are talking about do you?

Also to tc just go look up some benchmarks of the 6300 and see for yourself that there are very few situations where it is going to hold you back from 60fps. Ignore the random links that team Intel is putting up about apus and other random cpus that aren't a 6300.

Feel free to examine the chipset features yourself. You can also compare the performance of the current FX parts to the Phenom IIs that preceded them. They're pretty much exactly the same with the Phenom ii actually having better performance in some situations. They're on a 5 year old socket, they have features and performance like they're on a 5 year old socket.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#49ShebeskiiPosted 7/2/2014 5:40:25 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
KURRUPTOR posted...
Lmao, you have no clue what you are talking about do you?

Also to tc just go look up some benchmarks of the 6300 and see for yourself that there are very few situations where it is going to hold you back from 60fps. Ignore the random links that team Intel is putting up about apus and other random cpus that aren't a 6300.

Feel free to examine the chipset features yourself. You can also compare the performance of the current FX parts to the Phenom IIs that preceded them. They're pretty much exactly the same with the Phenom ii actually having better performance in some situations. They're on a 5 year old socket, they have features and performance like they're on a 5 year old socket.

Pretty much.

You get what you pay for. CPUs do not break this rule.

Let me reiterate:

If all you need is a decent CPU to play a decent range of popular titles, an FX 6300 will do the trick. But don't act like it's just as good or such a good deal over an i5 or even i3 in many situations. It's not true and the evidence doesn't back you up.

That's all there is to it. Case closed, let's all go home.
---
#50WyzeGyePosted 7/2/2014 5:55:18 PM
I enjoy civ 5 thoroughly with my 6300.

Come at me bro
---
http://puu.sh/8IK8Q/8e25ebacb7.jpg [My Rig + Specs] - - - - http://youtu.be/cfh4MK6kW3w
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.