This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Holy crap FTL....

#21it_r_over9000Posted 7/2/2014 11:08:39 AM
All I can say is that I hate the Advanced Edition version of the final boss in FTL. It's so much harder than the previous version.
---
i7 4770k| Asus Z87 Plus| EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC| Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2x4)1866| EVGA Nex 650G| Kingston Hyperx 3k 120gb| Seagate 1 TB HDD
PSN- ponmbr [R3D]
#22Damaged7Posted 7/2/2014 11:09:04 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
Ikari Gendo posted...
The two other roguelikes I play are Binding of Isaac and Rogue Legacy, but from a gameplay standpoint, they aren't quite like FTL.

Those aren't roguelikes. FTL isn't either.

Well aren't we all glad that this fine gentlemen has come along to correct us all.
---
Bold Text
#23lord_rye(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2014 11:47:30 AM
it_r_over9000 posted...
All I can say is that I hate the Advanced Edition version of the final boss in FTL. It's so much harder than the previous version.

I purposely haven't started advanced edition until i can beat him on the previous version on easy. I can't even get to him most of the time and i already have 15 hours in. I have a long journey ahead, I can tell.
---
Last game played in 2007 was Halo3.
#24Tyranius2Posted 7/2/2014 11:51:36 AM
Roguelikes have to be turn-based
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#25LvthnPosted 7/2/2014 12:43:32 PM
lord_rye posted...
it_r_over9000 posted...

I purposely haven't started advanced edition until i can beat him on the previous version on easy. I can't even get to him most of the time and i already have 15 hours in. I have a long journey ahead, I can tell.

Check out the wiki, it can help you understand some of the mechanics and strategies, especially of coordinating attacks. Also, upgrade engines. I overlooked how important % based evade is, since I figured it's luck, but with hundreds of shots being fired at you, mathematically it WILL pay off, big time.

I played without AE content for the first four ships. Really, I think the AE content adds a lot and now I use it full time; some things are harder but some of the new stuff is OP to compensate (vulcan chain wut?). I'd recommend turning it on basically as soon as you feel like you understand the game well. Also don't feel bad, I didn't beat the flagship until I got the federation cruiser via quest unlock. I had easily 25+ failed engi cruiser attempts.

That's the last thing - if you find yourself getting frustrated with the engi ship, look up the ship unlock quests. Some of them aren't hard to come by but it's easy to screw yourself over on them if you don't know, like the Zoltan one for example.

Tyranius2 posted...

It might as well be turn based, it's real time with pause, and 90% of game time will be spent paused, issuing orders. Basically you just pick when you want to take your "turn," nobody plays this real time.
#26it_r_over9000Posted 7/2/2014 1:30:30 PM
lord_rye posted...
it_r_over9000 posted...

I've murdered it without the AE but the last few times I've fought it with AE on I've gotten destroyed. He spams bording drones that breach your hull, and had a defense drone 2 to shoot down projectiles on top of having a high evade.
---
i7 4770k| Asus Z87 Plus| EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC| Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2x4)1866| EVGA Nex 650G| Kingston Hyperx 3k 120gb| Seagate 1 TB HDD
PSN- ponmbr [R3D]
#270cu_87Posted 7/2/2014 11:20:16 PM
Tyranius2 posted...

Basically everything is calculated in ticks, which you could call turns.
Where's the problem? FTL is more a roguelike than anything else.
#28SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/2/2014 11:41:43 PM(edited)
http://www.curious-expedition.com/

That's the one I'm looking for.

This burgeoning genre with only procedural generation and permadeath is called "roguelites".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike#The_Berlin_Interpretation
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#29SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/2/2014 11:42:32 PM(edited)
0cu_87 posted...
Tyranius2 posted...

Basically everything is calculated in ticks, which you could call turns.
Where's the problem? FTL is more a roguelike than anything else.

I'd say it's more an RTS than roguelike honestly.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#30LvthnPosted 7/2/2014 11:52:36 PM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
http://www.curious-expedition.com/

That's the one I'm looking for.

This burgeoning genre with only procedural generation and permadeath is called "roguelites".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike#The_Berlin_Interpretation

That looks like an alright game. The one under development, I mean.