This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Holy crap FTL....

#31NintendoFan81Posted 7/3/2014 2:49:05 AM
Sunless Sea (just released on Steam in early access) seems to play somewhat like FTL. Reviews so far are decent.. I havent tried it yet though.
#32SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/3/2014 9:39:38 AM
I just picked that up but I also have not played it yet. Just made up a character.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#33TimePharaohPosted 7/3/2014 10:03:07 AM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
0cu_87 posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
Roguelikes have to be turn-based

Basically everything is calculated in ticks, which you could call turns.
Where's the problem? FTL is more a roguelike than anything else.

I'd say it's more an RTS than roguelike honestly.

wot

ITP: FTL=Warcraft
#34ThamauturgePosted 7/3/2014 10:11:09 AM
Can someone please explain how Fruit of the Loom is connected to gaming PCs?

xD
---
Favorite games: FFXII International, FF Tactics WOTL, Super Smash Bros Melee, Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Silent Hill 2
PSN: Thamauturge
#35SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/3/2014 12:42:38 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
0cu_87 posted...
Tyranius2 posted...

wot

Closer than it is to Rogue.
---
#36xanthan1Posted 7/3/2014 12:50:44 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
0cu_87 posted...
Tyranius2 posted...

wot

Closer than it is to Rogue.

No, I'd say it's definitely closer to rogue. You know, what with the heavily randomized elements just for the most obvious bit.
#37JKatarnPosted 7/3/2014 12:55:10 PM
akuma634 posted...
It was a cool game. I remember it got a lot of attention on Kickstarter, but I didn't really get it. Once it was on Steam, I bought it, and was hooked from the start. The game can really dick you over, but it's always fun, and you never know what to expect from the next encounter.

Lol, that's an understatement, one of the most frustrating yet compelling games I've played in my 25 years of gaming. I haven't gotten terribly far in my handful of playthroughs but I've already learned that sending crew members down to planets/to other ships to assist early on is usually a bad idea....nothing like sending a single crew member scrambling back and forth as your ship burns around you.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#38SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/3/2014 1:06:47 PM(edited)
Well, there's also the obvious fact that it's real-time, and that succeeding is based far more on managing your time, and maneuvering multiple units and managing resources than it is learning tricks to beat individual enemies, preparation, identifying items and risk/reward gameplay.

Part of the reason that it's unlike rogue is that the enemies are so wildly randomized, you can't really prepare for anything. You just kinda pick an overall build strategy and adjust it as the game allows.

You know, like an RTS.
---
#39The cranky hermitPosted 7/3/2014 1:05:52 PM
"Roguelike" has somehow gotten misinterpreted in recent years to mean "any game with randomness and permadeath." These are useless qualities for determining a game's genre - it tells you almost nothing about the game mechanics or structure, it certainly doesn't promise that the game will be similar to Rogue, and nearly any game genre could incorporate these things without dramatically affecting things at the core.

Warcraft III campaigns can have random encounters to a limited extent. If you promise not to load save games, does that make it a Roguelike? Soldier of Fortune II has a random mission generator, and you can disable saves. Does that make it a Roguelike?

And the FTL devs don't actually call their game a Roguelike.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#40TimePharaohPosted 7/3/2014 1:08:19 PM
Well, there's also the obvious fact that it's real-time, and that succeeding is based far more on managing your time, and maneuvering multiple units and managing resources than it is learning tricks to beat individual enemies, preparation, identifying items and risk/reward gameplay.

Part of the reason that it's unlike rogue is that the enemies are so wildly randomized, you can't really prepare for anything. You just kinda pick an overall build strategy and adjust it as the game allows.

You know, like an RTS.

In Resident Evil 4 you control multiple units while managing your resources

Resident Evil 4=Starcraft 1.5