This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Holy crap FTL....

#41SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/3/2014 12:15:43 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Sinfullyvannila posted...
Well, there's also the obvious fact that it's real-time, and that succeeding is based far more on managing your time, and maneuvering multiple units and managing resources than it is learning tricks to beat individual enemies, preparation, identifying items and risk/reward gameplay.

Part of the reason that it's unlike rogue is that the enemies are so wildly randomized, you can't really prepare for anything. You just kinda pick an overall build strategy and adjust it as the game allows.

You know, like an RTS.

In Resident Evil 4 you control multiple units while managing your resources

Resident Evil 4=Starcraft 1.5

Yeah, you can tell Ashley to hide in a garbage can for about 10% of the game.

I never made an absolute statement. Just a relative one. Settle down.

This game is kind of like Dark Souls where shoehorning it into one genre does it a disservice that devalues the uniqueness of the game.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#42LvthnPosted 7/3/2014 12:23:58 PM
Well, there's also the obvious fact that it's real-time, and that succeeding is based far more on managing your time, and maneuvering multiple units and managing resources than it is learning tricks to beat individual enemies, preparation, identifying items and risk/reward gameplay.

Part of the reason that it's unlike rogue is that the enemies are so wildly randomized, you can't really prepare for anything. You just kinda pick an overall build strategy and adjust it as the game allows.

You know, like an RTS.

What? Are we even talking about the same game?

"Managing your time" in FTL takes no more than learning to mash space bar often.

Maneuvering multiple units is no harder than doing a single thing in this game, you have unlimited pause with action.

Resources yes, but this is in common with lots of roguelikes. Seems most roguelikes require you to put some thought into how and when to deploy your inventory, this merely makes it ship equipment instead.

As for tricks to beating enemies...yes, that's pretty much the key to actually getting good at FTL, learning to properly combine what you have available to maximize effectiveness? Preparation is pretty much the entire goal of the game, from beginning until the last battle, and risk/reward is found in virtually every random event, which could do anything from grant you a new ship or unique, OP augment, or deprive you of crew, damage your ship (ending the game, potentially), or deprive you of turns.

I'll grant it's not a pure roguelike, but RTS is probably the silliest designation I've ever heard for it. Starting with the fact that having a pause with action immediately disqualifies it from being real time.
#43TimePharaohPosted 7/3/2014 12:24:52 PM
TimePharaoh posted...

You know, like an RTS.

In Resident Evil 4 you control multiple units while managing your resources

Resident Evil 4=Starcraft 1.5

Yeah, you can tell Ashley to hide in a garbage can for about 10% of the game.

I never made an absolute statement. Just a relative one. Settle down.

This game is kind of like Dark Souls where shoehorning it into one genre does it a disservice that devalues the uniqueness of the game.

For about 80% of the game.

And you can tell your crew mate to walk into that other room for about the 10% of the game you'd do so.
#44ShadowThaReaperPosted 7/3/2014 12:26:10 PM
Lvthn posted...
I'll grant it's not a pure roguelike, but RTS is probably the silliest designation I've ever heard for it. Starting with the fact that having a pause with action immediately disqualifies it from being real time.

Does being able to pause Sins of a Solar Empire make it not an RTS?

FTL is not a Roguelike at all.
#45SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/3/2014 12:37:16 PM(edited)

Pretty much every RTS has a pause function in single-player. And I'm not saying it's an RTS either. I'm just saying the manner of play is more akin to an RTS than it is to a roguelike.

As for tricks to beating enemies...yes, that's pretty much the key to actually getting good at FTL, learning to properly combine what you have available to maximize effectiveness? Preparation is pretty much the entire goal of the game, from beginning until the last battle, and risk/reward is found in virtually every random event, which could do anything from grant you a new ship or unique, OP augment, or deprive you of crew, damage your ship (ending the game, potentially), or deprive you of turns.

Ehh, the random events are nearly always detrimental, and the preparation we're talking about here has more in common with a build strategy than the manners you prepare in a "pure" roguelike which involve elaborate "rituals" to identify, enchant and bless your character.
---
#46SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/3/2014 12:35:59 PM
For about 80% of the game.

And you can tell your crew mate to walk into that other room for about the 10% of the game you'd do so.

Really getting off topic here, but Ashley is constantly getting kidnapped in RE4. I think you may be thinking of 5.
---
#47LvthnPosted 7/3/2014 12:36:32 PM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
Lvthn posted...

Does being able to pause Sins of a Solar Empire make it not an RTS?

FTL is not a Roguelike at all.

I haven't played it, can you issue orders while it's paused? If so, then no, it's not RTS. If not, then it doesn't matter - SC2 lets matches be paused as well, though nothing can be done while it's paused and either party can unpause without warning, so it's honor system only.

FTL isn't a strategy game at all, so RTS, TBS, all irrelevant, it doesn't have the "S" in either.

And regardless of your assertion, it very obviously has roguelike-derived elements. You can put it in whichever excessively-specific subcategory you like, it's still a descendant of that game style.
#48SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/3/2014 12:39:33 PM

---
#49The cranky hermitPosted 7/3/2014 7:05:46 PM
I haven't played it, can you issue orders while it's paused? If so, then no, it's not RTS.

So Age of Empires II isn't an RTS now? That's funny, because I am pretty sure it is one.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#50ZalteraPosted 7/3/2014 8:06:07 PM
Ehh, the random events are nearly always detrimental,

I find a large majority of these to be either positive or neutral overall. During my most recent run I made it to the beginning of sector five with just one detrimental random event. It did five hull damage and would have cost a crew member if I didn't have the clone bay active to save him. The cost of repairs amounted to only 15 scrap when I had earned hundreds through random events up to that point.
---
Why is it that he can hit a 3rd baseman on a frozen rope from 300 feet away, but he can't hit a 12 foot tall catcher from 60 feet 6 inches away?
-Awesomeo_4000