This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Creating a Contra style Action Game, Destruction Paper, demo available

#1masschamberPosted 7/2/2014 3:02:59 AM
I'm creating a contra style action game, I have a demo available and I would love feedback.
check it out at my kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1692357484/destruction-paper
positive comments are appreciated, constructive criticism even more so, hate mail will be laughed at no matter how profoundly and inexplicably angry
I'd love to know if xbox controller support works correctly and I will incorporate feedback into the demo, a new demo with destructible backgrounds will be up in a few days.
#2TimePharaohPosted 7/2/2014 4:14:58 AM
Uh, no.
#3Atrix65Posted 7/2/2014 4:16:40 AM
Nice work, man. tbh I enjoyed it. One thing though - Shotgun is too OP IMHO.
---
A big fan of stealth yet suck at it since 2009.
#4Ikari GendoPosted 7/2/2014 4:48:38 AM
Tag, I'll check it out after work. Contra is still one of my top 5 games of all time.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#5masschamber(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2014 5:10:32 AM
First time I've been told the shotgun is OP, usually people say the laser is, but I'm still looking into different balance options. I could probably decrease the size of shotgun bullets to help balance them, or maybe reduce the rate of fire. I'm going to add destructible backgrounds which will give the currently weak flame thrower some use, thanks for the feedback.
I'll have a new demo out on friday.
#6Ikari GendoPosted 7/2/2014 8:32:51 PM
So I saw this topic as tagged (totally forgot about this from this morning), so I tried it out. Before going on, I'll say that it would take a stupidly large amount of convincing for me to throw money on kickstarter for anything. My biggest question is what art style you're going for. I would really love a contra clone that was in the style of Contra 1 and Super C, but this seems quite far away. I can understand if this is just a proof of concept or something, but unfortunately, proof of concept of a game that came out when I was a wee child doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I would like more information from you about this, but I still wish you luck in you endeavors.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#7pwnater777Posted 7/2/2014 8:45:27 PM
It looks awesome and reminds me of South Park, which is a fairly big draw to it for me. Though I would like to say a few things.

- It looks like the main menu was done in Paint. That's the first thing players see, so it should be pretty nice and polished.

- The guns shouldn't be able to just spray out that many bullets at a time. It seems like it dumbs down the game and makes it less challenging. I love the Contra feel, though! But just slow down the rate of fire slightly.

- The backgrounds of the levels look good and match the design well, but they shouldn't be so static. Put in a little bit of time to actually make a background that scrolls with the level (if possible, of course).

- Put in some more time for developing the different enemy types, because it seems like you've got a good idea going there. Also, maybe different kinds of turrets? Just a suggestion.

- Please, don't make the game early access. It devalues the game and really makes the release date have less of an impact. Maybe 2 or 3 more demos as development progresses just to show how much has been changed, but keep that demonstration limited and keep plenty of features stowed away in the full game for people to be surprised by.

The game looks awesome so far, might put some money towards the Kickstarter! Good Luck!
---
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#8masschamber(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2014 11:02:34 PM
pwnater777 posted...
It looks awesome and reminds me of South Park, which is a fairly big draw to it for me. Though I would like to say a few things.

- It looks like the main menu was done in Paint. That's the first thing players see, so it should be pretty nice and polished.

- The guns shouldn't be able to just spray out that many bullets at a time. It seems like it dumbs down the game and makes it less challenging. I love the Contra feel, though! But just slow down the rate of fire slightly.

- The backgrounds of the levels look good and match the design well, but they shouldn't be so static. Put in a little bit of time to actually make a background that scrolls with the level (if possible, of course).

- Put in some more time for developing the different enemy types, because it seems like you've got a good idea going there. Also, maybe different kinds of turrets? Just a suggestion.

- Please, don't make the game early access. It devalues the game and really makes the release date have less of an impact. Maybe 2 or 3 more demos as development progresses just to show how much has been changed, but keep that demonstration limited and keep plenty of features stowed away in the full game for people to be surprised by.

The game looks awesome so far, might put some money towards the Kickstarter! Good Luck!

Constructive criticism for the win. Yeah the title screen is literally an MS paint place holder, it is going soon.
Enemy types, don't worry about, that's taken care of, Backgrounds I'm going to add in destructible stuff and probably add a more tiles to the background
As far as shot speed, good point, I'm going to delay the next demo to put an option for it on the main menu
anyway I really appreciate the feedback.
#9StormKMDPosted 7/2/2014 11:10:19 PM
The music needs some work, imo.
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K Phantek PH-TC14PE_BK | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | 1500GBs HDD | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/StormKMD
#10masschamber(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 1:52:25 AM
StormKMD posted...
The music needs some work, imo.

Don't worry about that, I have a composer doing a paper themed soundtrack. My compositions were absolutely terrible to put it kindly.