This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Creating a Contra style Action Game, Destruction Paper, demo available

#11masschamber(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 12:57:34 AM
Ikari Gendo posted...
So I saw this topic as tagged (totally forgot about this from this morning), so I tried it out. Before going on, I'll say that it would take a stupidly large amount of convincing for me to throw money on kickstarter for anything. My biggest question is what art style you're going for. I would really love a contra clone that was in the style of Contra 1 and Super C, but this seems quite far away. I can understand if this is just a proof of concept or something, but unfortunately, proof of concept of a game that came out when I was a wee child doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I would like more information from you about this, but I still wish you luck in you endeavors.

Hey That's cool if you need a lot of convincing, my job is to make something compelling. I know it might be a bit to nebulous, but how would you change it to make it more like the original contra?
#12Lonestar2000Posted 7/3/2014 4:15:58 AM
Wow, this looks like crap.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#13SpazH3dPosted 7/3/2014 4:21:35 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but why do you need the money? You say the game is mostly done, so you obviously don't need it for food or because you quit your job to make this. Will it be a game to buy or will it be free?

Also, you recorded your screen with a camera. :-/
---
- My vision is augmented
#14sonicteam2k1Posted 7/3/2014 4:22:12 AM
tag
---
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games
#15masschamber(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 5:56:45 AM
SpazH3d posted...
Excuse my ignorance, but why do you need the money? You say the game is mostly done, so you obviously don't need it for food or because you quit your job to make this. Will it be a game to buy or will it be free?

The kick starter would mainly be to cover the cost of physical copies if it succeeds and a first paycheck for the composer. Yes I do plan on selling it, but I really don't think it will be overpriced at the whopping 5 dollars or less I'd charge for a digital copy. As far as the video I'm not in a situation were I could capture it at anything above an appalling frame rate, so given the situation I made due with what I had.
Anyway if you don't think it's worth anything, that's fine, but if they're is anything you think that will make it a better game I'm listening.
#16kingoffpsPosted 7/3/2014 6:36:32 AM
masschamber posted...
SpazH3d posted...

The kick starter would mainly be to cover the cost of physical copies if it succeeds and a first paycheck for the composer. Yes I do plan on selling it, but I really don't think it will be overpriced at the whopping 5 dollars or less I'd charge for a digital copy. As far as the video I'm not in a situation were I could capture it at anything above an appalling frame rate, so given the situation I made due with what I had.
Anyway if you don't think it's worth anything, that's fine, but if they're is anything you think that will make it a better game I'm listening.

You seem like quite a reasonable dude who is willing to acknowledge "yep not everyone will like it" and accept the consequences of that.

Too many developers these days get into a hissy fit if anyone criticises anything about their game. They need to grow up and realise that not liking something is not the same as being a mindless hater.

Anyway this looks quite good for something in the early stages. I've been looking for a contra style bullet hell game to play recently.

I also agree that you should not make the game early access. Doing so indeed ruins the impact of the "real" release and also removes some incentive to work hard and finish the game.

Steam greenlight but NOT early access.
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...
#17kingoffpsPosted 7/3/2014 6:44:03 AM
Actually thinking about it. I'm guessing it's a deliberate art-style choice, but the enemies and collectibles don't really stand out enough. When watching the video through again. I was having to double-take at the turrets to even realise they were there. Grey enemies + grey environment makes for a squinty experience. Also the collectibles aren't even obvious that they're collectibles. Make them spin or flash or something?
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
#18Chaos_MissilePosted 7/3/2014 6:58:54 AM
Music need work
SE needs work
And why do you call it a "shotgun"(which generall CQC weapons) when it acts like a: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76ley2v2s9w&t=17s
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#19masschamber(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 7:03:27 AM
kingoffps posted...
masschamber posted...
SpazH3d posted...

You seem like quite a reasonable dude who is willing to acknowledge "yep not everyone will like it" and accept the consequences of that.

Too many developers these days get into a hissy fit if anyone criticises anything about their game. They need to grow up and realise that not liking something is not the same as being a mindless hater.

Anyway this looks quite good for something in the early stages. I've been looking for a contra style bullet hell game to play recently.

I also agree that you should not make the game early access. Doing so indeed ruins the impact of the "real" release and also removes some incentive to work hard and finish the game.

Steam greenlight but NOT early access.

Thanks, yeah I don't mind people disliking it, I'd just like to make a game some people do enjoy. If I can make a game 100 people think is a great game I'd be thrilled. Though I absolutely love constructive criticism, because I'd love to make a game thousands of people enjoy.

right now it isn't bullet hell, but I probably could do dual mode, classic style and then a bullet hell variation. Granted that would require carefully placing every encounter and taking much more control of enemy ai, but at the same time making everything really aggressive. Plus it would need a ton of play testing to get every aspect of the game placed perfectly. I'll start looking into a bullet hell mode. Plus I still have plenty of time even on my kickstarter timeline, I've been working on the game since mid-March and I think it will be finished by the end of December, so another 6 months of development is a lot of time and I can experiment with plenty of things. Though even after that I still plan on supporting the game, I have lots of little things I want to do that are completely superfluous and would extend the core development time, but would probably be a whole lot of fun if they just suddenly showed up after an update
#20kingoffpsPosted 7/3/2014 7:03:30 AM
Chaos_Missile posted...

And why do you call it a "shotgun"(which generall CQC weapons) when it acts like a: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76ley2v2s9w&t=17s

Recent video games from the last 10 years have been lying to you. Shotguns are not CQC weapons which are useless after 4 feet.
---