This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Creating a Contra style Action Game, Destruction Paper, demo available

#21masschamber(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 8:07:15 AM
kingoffps posted...
Actually thinking about it. I'm guessing it's a deliberate art-style choice, but the enemies and collectibles don't really stand out enough. When watching the video through again. I was having to double-take at the turrets to even realise they were there. Grey enemies + grey environment makes for a squinty experience. Also the collectibles aren't even obvious that they're collectibles. Make them spin or flash or something?

none of the art is final, except maybe the the fore ground, and 2 background layers, its all placeholder stuff I made while my artist works on the actual sets. Though for the sake of playability of the demo I'll do something to make the turrets really stand out.
#22masschamber(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 8:10:26 AM
Chaos_Missile posted...
Music need work
SE needs work
And why do you call it a "shotgun"(which generall CQC weapons) when it acts like a: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76ley2v2s9w&t=17s

Yep, I've got a composer on board and he will completely replace the sound track, sound effect will be replace by a combination better public domain sounds and licensed sound effects as I decide on the final sounds I want.
and personally I think the machine gun acting as a barrier is more egregious than the shotgun nonsense.
#23TheNazzaroPosted 7/3/2014 8:16:19 AM
I hope your artist is a magician.

Other than that, gameplay looks solid. You need to get a screen captured recording though. Nothing about this looks professional enough to get the kind of money you want.
---
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheNazzaro
#24masschamber(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 8:25:14 AM
TheNazzaro posted...
I hope your artist is a magician.

Other than that, gameplay looks solid. You need to get a screen captured recording though. Nothing about this looks professional enough to get the kind of money you want.

The final art will make a world of difference, plus I'm going to be adding in additional background layers and adding more backgrounds so the scrolling layers are different through the entire level instead of repeating ,

What's the best capture program because all of the one's I've tried recorded at like 10 frames per second, I'm fairly reticent to get a paid one unless I've spoken to someone that has used it personally and knows it will record at 60fps on low end hardware.
#25StopthinkPosted 7/3/2014 8:40:25 AM
While what you're doing is impressive, I don't think I could ever give a handout to a project that is basically a clone of another game.
#26TimePharaohPosted 7/3/2014 9:31:08 AM
You're trying to kickstarter a finished game to fund physicals copies that no one actually wants?

lolwot
#27smelly_boobPosted 7/3/2014 11:22:42 AM
the mountain background also reminded me of south park, good luck to you
#28HighOnPhazonPosted 7/3/2014 11:26:03 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
You're trying to kickstarter a finished game to fund physicals copies that no one actually wants?

lolwot

Stay classy buddy
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#29sonicteam2k1Posted 7/3/2014 12:00:24 PM
kingoffps posted...
Chaos_Missile posted...

And why do you call it a "shotgun"(which generall CQC weapons) when it acts like a: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76ley2v2s9w&t=17s

Recent video games from the last 10 years have been lying to you. Shotguns are not CQC weapons which are useless after 4 feet.

this. It kills me when you use a shotgun in a shooter and you can only hit a guy that's less than 10 yards. Shotguns have amazing rang for what they do. Also depending on what barrel and choke you're using, you can shoot even further. And if you're firing slugs.
---
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games
#30JKatarnPosted 7/3/2014 12:06:50 PM
masschamber posted...
Ikari Gendo posted...
So I saw this topic as tagged (totally forgot about this from this morning), so I tried it out. Before going on, I'll say that it would take a stupidly large amount of convincing for me to throw money on kickstarter for anything. My biggest question is what art style you're going for. I would really love a contra clone that was in the style of Contra 1 and Super C, but this seems quite far away. I can understand if this is just a proof of concept or something, but unfortunately, proof of concept of a game that came out when I was a wee child doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I would like more information from you about this, but I still wish you luck in you endeavors.

Hey That's cool if you need a lot of convincing, my job is to make something compelling. I know it might be a bit to nebulous, but how would you change it to make it more like the original contra?

I would try not to ape the Contra series too much, if this is going to be pretty much a carbon copy of contra with a different art style/destructive elements it would be pretty stale. It's OK to be inspired by a game/game series, but the best games I've played take that inspiration and add their own unique gameplay elements/additions that make the game something else entirely vs. a "me too" game. Good luck.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES