This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Creating a Contra style Action Game, Destruction Paper, demo available

#31GoldninjaPosted 7/3/2014 12:00:37 PM
I'm going to be brutally honest here. I'd much rather play Contra. I've been retro gaming a bit lately and every retro game I've played looks and sounds better than this. It's a WiP, yes, but you need to polish this up (way up) before you start asking people for money. It looks, sounds, and plays like a poor flash game and doesn't make me look forward to a finished product. The guy above is right. Don't try to imitate Contra too much. It will likely just make people want to play Contra.

What is it with many modern "retro" games that try to look so unique, they often look odd? I miss the days of classic Nes games.

But yeah, good luck with it. I hope it turns out well.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#32JKatarnPosted 7/3/2014 12:03:55 PM
Goldninja posted...
I'm going to be brutally honest here. I'd much rather play Contra. I've been retro gaming a bit lately and every retro game I've played looks and sounds better than this. It's a WiP, yes, but you need to polish this up (way up) before you start asking people for money. It looks, sounds, and plays like a poor flash game and doesn't make me look forward to a finished product. The guy above is right. Don't try to imitate Contra too much. It will likely just make people want to play Contra.

What is it with many modern "retro" games that try to look so unique, they often look odd? I miss the days of classic Nes games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7_77vc074w - I feel like this game is a good example, it pays tribute to contra/other older shooters but has enough unique touches to make it feel like its own game. It's certainly not a groundbreaking title like "Braid" etc. but it's a solid shooter.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#33andy12handyPosted 7/3/2014 1:22:16 PM
Goldninja posted...

Have you by any chance played Shovel Knight yet?
#34Jprime666Posted 7/3/2014 1:30:45 PM
On one hand I'm glad you went with a more classic control scheme and not the more modern "dual stick" aiming that let's aim literally anywhere.

On the other hand, you didn't sell the game well at all, and I'm not really interested.
---
Fragrance of Dark Coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMnrl0tmd3k
#35masschamber(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 1:57:46 PM
Feedback here has given me some ideas to differentiate it . I'm goiing to put the demo off a week or so to implement some paper themed ideas.
#36sonicteam2k1Posted 7/3/2014 7:42:26 PM
TC actually doesn't look bad. It obviously needs some polish and such. But it's coming along it seems. slow down that fire rate. but not too slow, add more enemy variety and AI routines and more enemies in general and slow your character's movement down.

Those are just a few suggestions. I wish I could help you design it because I have a ton of ideas but I'm afraid I know nothing about game design and my ideas might be crap.
---
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games
#37masschamber(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 7:52:52 PM
Goldninja posted...

Honesty is the best policy, only way I can make the game better.
the intention is to polish it way up,
though for gameplay, did you try the demo? if you haven't wait for the next update, I'm implementing some substantial changes.
regardless I don't think it plays like a flash game, unfortunately I don't have access to any wired 360 pads so I don't know about the xinput controls but keyboard controls are responsive, the jump isn't floaty, and collision is canted in the players favor but responsive. But I'm listening to how to make them feel better.
I'm going to implement some paper themed gameplay abilities to help differentiate it from contra.
#38masschamber(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2014 8:22:57 PM
New Demo in a day or 2, added new paper themed abilities and 2 more enemies on the first. Rewrote the weapons so a shot gun and flame thrower will be a shot gun and a flame thrower and the current ones will be renamed.
#39masschamber(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 3:18:29 AM
Alright the new Demo is up and available,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/npfvyl2lin6kv50/publicDemo2.zip
adds above features