This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have you personally ever had any problems with AMD Drivers?

#1Knighted DragonPosted 7/2/2014 5:37:20 AM(edited)
Topic - Results (242 votes)
Yes but it was not recent (years ago)
13.64% (33 votes)
Yes and it was in the last two or three generations but was an easy fix
9.92% (24 votes)
Yes and it was in the last two or three generations but was a pain in the butt
22.31% (54 votes)
No but I've had problems with NVidia Drivers
15.29% (37 votes)
No I've had no problems with GPU drivers at all
32.23% (78 votes)
No but I wanted to vote yes to skew the results of the poll
6.61% (16 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I keep seeing this stereotype thrown around on the board but I've been using AMD cards for the last 5 years or so and have never once had a driver issue out of them. The only driver issues I've ever had GPU wise were from my Nvidia cards before I switched to AMD, but that was a fair amount of time ago, so they've probably improved them by now
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#2SinisterSlayPosted 7/2/2014 5:37:58 AM
Hmmm, I've had lots of nvidia trouble, but I haven't gone back to AMD since they were called ATI.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3MaxCHEATER64Posted 7/2/2014 5:40:20 AM
The only problem I've ever had with an AMD driver is that I couldn't get the icon on the taskbar to hide on an APU build.
---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
#4Hi CPosted 7/2/2014 5:43:47 AM
I've never had performance issues with AMD drivers just uninstallation issues where they wouldn't fully uninstall so you could update unless you manually went in and deleted some hidden registry stuff. They fixed that about a year ago with the official AMD driver cleaner software.
#5godplaysSNESPosted 7/2/2014 5:44:37 AM
The only clear problem I can remember having was with Rage (with an HD 5770)

AMD also doesn't support its older GPUs for as long as Nvidia does. It's quite terrible that AMD only supports Win8.1 on the HD 5000 series and later, whereas Nvidia supports it all the way back to the Geforce 8 series
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#6MaxCHEATER64Posted 7/2/2014 5:45:15 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
The only clear problem I can remember having was with Rage (with an HD 5770)

AMD also doesn't support its older GPUs for as long as Nvidia does. It's quite terrible that AMD only supports Win8.1 on the HD 5000 series and later, whereas Nvidia supports it all the way back to the Geforce 8 series

Solution: Stop using such a crap OS
---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
#7ThePCElitistPosted 7/2/2014 5:45:48 AM
Yes every single freaking time I"ve bought an AMD GPU I've had the exact same errors.

1. The drivers on the disk never work
2. The automatic driver detection software never detects the GPU
3. The driver has a 50/50 chance of not detecting the GPU
4. Driver fails somewhere during the installation and makes me start over
5. Driver issues in general with games. More so with Crossfire. Never again will I buy 2 AMD GPU's.
---
When I'm Miq'ote
http://youtu.be/h3LGf9SSWrU
#8PhilOnDezPosted 7/2/2014 5:45:48 AM
Just the occasional 'Display Driver has stopped working' error. I haven't used that system for more than a minute or two at a time in the last year (passed it on to my parents) so I'm not sure if it still happens. It usually fixed itself after a few seconds and only popped up when I was gaming which they don't do so I doubt they've had problems with it.

Two problems with my 670, one of which might just be a windows problem. The first was windows went to the default color scheme due to insufficient resources or something to that effect, the other is that GeForce Experience is a massive pile of crap that breaks driver installs 100% of the time if I don't manually intervene. That's not an issue with the drivers themselves, however.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#930aught6Posted 7/2/2014 5:50:21 AM
It's probably irrational at this point, but I don't buy AMD because of all the display-driver headaches I've gone through over the years.

I know they're much better than they used to be, but I've gone though so much **** with them in the past.
---
| i7-3930K | MSI BB-XP II | GTX 680 4GB X2 | CORSAIR DDR3 32GB | TT Grand 1200W | SG 240GB SSD | WD 4TB HD | Fractal XLR2 |
#10Killah PriestPosted 7/2/2014 5:53:43 AM
Before this year the only driver issue I had was the RAGE driver, that was really screwed up.

Haven't had good results since before 14.4+ I'd say, lots of atikmdag blue screens, display driver time out crashes, or ctds with 0 warning.

I think the issue is exacerbated by the fact that the 290x has a limited selection for drivers so you can't really go back and try an older version to see if it resolves issues with certain games.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.