This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bioware pandering to the LGBT community again

#31LoshadtPosted 7/2/2014 10:13:42 AM
GoIrish80 posted...
Yeah I agree, I mean can someone PLEASE tell me when game developers will start pandering to the straight white male community?

I feel like we've been GROSSLY overlooked since, you know...the beginning of time.

I think you managed to miss the point entirely, which isn't surprising because that seems to be a common theme with the subject matter at hand.

There's a world of difference between a gay character and a character who is gay. Bioware is the epitome of shoehorned equality and pandering with writing as subtle and nuanced as sexual intercourse with a woodchipper.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#32SpazH3dPosted 7/2/2014 10:14:06 AM
That reminds me of that Fantastic Four movie they wanna make, where they want the Human Torch be cast as a black person, but not his sister. Yeah hoorah, diversity! Except it makes no sense. That's apparently being racist.
---
- My vision is augmented
#33BannedMomPosted 7/2/2014 10:14:53 AM
There's a world of difference between a gay character and a character who is gay.

THE ****??
---
I5-4440 - Asrock H81M - Zotac 750Ti - CM N200 = Future Emulation and Gaming Build @ 1600 x 900
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
#34AlavardPosted 7/2/2014 10:15:54 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
GoIrish80 posted...
Yeah I agree, I mean can someone PLEASE tell me when game developers will start pandering to the straight white male community?

I feel like we've been GROSSLY overlooked since, you know...the beginning of time.

Tokenism should be insulting. Gays aren't something to be used as some sort of circus freak show.

"Come look at these gays in my game!"

Go on then. Show us how this character is nothing but a token gay character. Show us how there is nothing meaningful about them other than their sexuality. Show us how they don't do anything to further the plot, don't bring unique abilities to the party or offer advantageous
information. Prove that he's a token. Do it.
---
Too much idiot, not enough savant.
#35TehPwnzererPosted 7/2/2014 10:19:17 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
TehPwnzerer posted...
It's not homophobic or anti-gay to be a staunch opponent of affirmative action or political correctness.

In this brave new world, it is.

I was born in '89. Growing up I never had to worry about opening up my mouth the wrong way for fear that I might say something that might offend someone. In the lasy couple of years, it seems like it just magically happened over night where suddenly the world turned so liberally extremist that you literally have to think about what you say before you say it.
#36pothocketPosted 7/2/2014 10:20:01 AM
SpazH3d posted...
That reminds me of that Fantastic Four movie they wanna make, where they want the Human Torch be cast as a black person, but not his sister. Yeah hoorah, diversity! Except it makes no sense. That's apparently being racist.

WOW. Seriously, what's wrong with making Sue Storm black too?
---
http://i.imgur.com/aBZ2Gww.gif http://i.imgur.com/HnzWmt3.gif
#37ClashtonnPosted 7/2/2014 10:22:05 AM
It's not like they're pandering or targeting the game. It's just a designer who was happy he got to make a real homosexual character as he's gay himself and feels like he's helping make progress.
#38ShadowThaReaperPosted 7/2/2014 10:22:27 AM
Alavard posted...
Go on then. Show us how this character is nothing but a token gay character. Show us how there is nothing meaningful about them other than their sexuality. Show us how they don't do anything to further the plot, don't bring unique abilities to the party or offer advantageous

The fact that they think that being gay makes a more interesting character.

TehPwnzerer posted...
I was born in '89. Growing up I never had to worry about opening up my mouth the wrong way for fear that I might say something that might offend someone. In the lasy couple of years, it seems like it just magically happened over night where suddenly the world turned so liberally extremist that you literally have to think about what you say before you say it.

Liberals have turned into the book burners that they used to oppose. Beware of the left and the right, because they are both prone to becoming authoritarian.
#39LoshadtPosted 7/2/2014 10:22:30 AM
Alavard posted...

When he was announced, everyone said "yep he's gay", and sure enough later on he's announced as GAY. Why? Because Bioware's idea of a gay character is that first and foremost you have to know they're gay despite it carrying zero relevance.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#40God_of_GorePosted 7/2/2014 10:23:08 AM
Whatever his mustache is glorious and for that reason alone I look forward to using him.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/suicidelraccoon?feature=mhee
http://www.bestna.net/files/3913/6790/4044/Draven.swf