This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bioware pandering to the LGBT community again

#411SwcloudPosted 7/3/2014 12:23:06 PM
HighOnPhazon posted...
JKatarn posted...

If you're making this big of a deal out of the announcement of a character in a video-game, yes, you seem to be a bigot/ignorant. Oh heavens, a character who happens to be gay is in my vidya games! Next I'll be forced to engage in endless gay sex!

It's due more to the fact that instead of making a really well written gay character, we have a clown with a Freddy Mercury mustache and eye liner who comes from an oppressed background. Edgy, progressive PANDERING.

You're so ******* annoying, like a fly.

He's from the Tevinter Imperium... Everyone from the tevinter imperium looks like that. It's got nothing to do with his sex.
---
Big announcement to make, I'm quitting gamefaqs forever. I have seriously had enough of you people. - krazyninjaman3
#412JaybirdXPosted 7/3/2014 12:25:55 PM
ThePaleRiderp posted...
JaybirdX posted...
ThePaleRiderp posted...
Askeladd posted...
ThePaleRiderp posted...
I'm all for video games being more inclusive but it has to be because the creators wanted to make their game that way.

I am pretty sure nobody made David Gaider include a gay character. That Bioware seemed to handle the issue in a clumsy, ham-fisted way is unfortunate, but another issue. I doubt this was something forced on them.

And I'm sure. But my post was regarding all video games. We're getting to that point to where if a game doesn't have a minority as a lead or main character then the devs just get a **** storm coming to them. IF a developer wanted to make a game of all black, white, asian, hispanic, gay or whatever characters then we as gamers have to either accept it or buy the game. If a person chose not to buy a game based on a character's race, gender, etc rather than having fun and enjoying the game then that says more about them than the developers.

No we are at a point where even including a minority is just "pandering" and all accusations of "cultural marxism" and other nonsense. This topic was never about the developers freedom to do what they want just people taking one article and bloating it with there own personal vendetta's.

Maybe so but that's what people need remember in the case of games and all works of art. If a game developer came out and said, "Main lead is a black male" the first question I would ask is, okay is the game fun and what does his race have to do with the game? As I said in my GTA V example the only thing I had in common with Franklin was our race and gender but it didn't change the fact I
found him completely boring and unrelateable.

I want the games to be fun first and foremost.

Of course games are a work of art and the people involved are invested in it which is why having gay main party member would be something important to one of the writers who is gay. I mean people are involved in making these so a little soft article is really should not hurt no body.

This article was just something more of a personal behind the scenes piece than anything made to really important. The problem is that people in these comments took the headline and ran too far with it.

Developers will continue doing what they want no one is going to stop them despite all this hysteria. I gurantee most that complain were not going to buy the game anyway so I highly doubt there is any stranglehold on developers.
---
3DS FC 5257-8859-8358
#413ArmyOfDarkness_Posted 7/3/2014 12:27:19 PM
Oh holy hell. I'm not going to read up on everything in this thread. I read a few pages and that's enough to male my head hurt. All I have to say to all of this is....who the hell cares? Honestly if you don't like don't support them.
#414king_gimpyPosted 7/3/2014 12:27:29 PM
SythisTaru posted...
Wait, you already can marry your sister I'm pretty sure.

Nowhere in the US can you marry a direct sibling, parent, child, etc. At most you can marry a cousin in one or two states, and only after you're so old that you can't breed anymore.
---
There's an old sayin' down on the bayou that goes- BLEAH!
#415JuliafanAMPosted 7/3/2014 12:33:33 PM
matu90rk posted...
JuliafanAM posted...
merqabah posted...
All this homophobic keywords: Shoving down our throats(faces), advertising their lifestyle......

its disgusting, especially those that say they have no problem with gays, but they should be on a dont ask dont tell policy.

That's kind of the feeling I get too. I mean, it's okay to be gay but never mention it or have it be anywhere near equal to the representation heterosexuals get...? How is that equality?

Because heterosexual people don't go around flaunting their sexuality like it's some life-defining aspect all the time. Also, you can't force people into acceptance like Cultural Marxists want you to believe. It needs to come from within.

Um, heterosexuals flaunt their sexuality all the time...? As has been pointed out, romance on various mediums are abundant, so is sex and public displays irl are everywhere. What world do you live in?

Meanwhile in some places people get uncomfortable is two guys hold hands... and outright aggressive if they kiss. So yeah, no.
#416JKatarnPosted 7/3/2014 12:34:18 PM(edited)
TheNazzaro posted...
All sorts of crazy up in here. Seems like a huge amount of fuss being made over nothing. I'm sure this gay character is getting the same treatment as any other written character. These professional writers, I'm sure, will make them a well rounded character and not just a token gay dude.

They are not pandering to the LGBT community. They are obtaining press by talking about something that they would have done anyways. There have been gay characters in games before and there will be more going forward. I don't know how you can call adding diversity to a game "pandering" to any group, when games have inaccurately depicted actual demographics for decades.

Nice to see the odd intelligent/grounded person on GameFAQs once in a while, it's as rare as a snowflake in hell.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#417JKatarnPosted 7/3/2014 12:36:29 PM
HighOnPhazon posted...
I don't think people understand what I was saying in the very first post. I find it ridiculous that people are thinking I'm a homophobe. I think it's ludicrous that this character is begin developed, not that he's gay. Look at him, he looks like Freddy Mercury, not only are they writing him as the token gay character, but they need to accentuate that by using eye liner and a fabulous mustache?
As a couple of people have stated previously, there have been characters in video games who happen to be gay that have been written much more believable than this joke character. Arcade Gannon from Fallout: New Vegas. Vamp from Metal Gear. Didn't the Last of Us have characters who were gay, but it wasn't thrown in your face?

It's possible to write gay characters in a meaningful way, but Bioware doesn't know how to do this.

How do you know HOW they've written him, they've merely announced it. Then there's the fact that you created/continue to post in this thread revolving around a fictional character's sexuality. How does this effect you personally? If your most pressing problem in life is the sexuality of some character, you're pretty damn lucky.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
#418king_gimpyPosted 7/3/2014 12:43:03 PM
EvilCactus posted...
Let's come up with a list of games that handled LGBT characters much more maturely that Bioware has ever done.

Fallout New Vegas
Borderlands 2
Rogue Legacy
Divinity Dragon Commander

Not only did these developers not resort to using one-dimensional stereotypes, they also don't go around paying themselves on the back about it.

Who was gay in BL 2? I don't remember anyone and I beat the vanilla game. Are they in a DLC?
---
There's an old sayin' down on the bayou that goes- BLEAH!
#419JKatarnPosted 7/3/2014 12:43:22 PM
JuggaloJesus posted...
It is great to see how angry some people can get over a simple thing like a characters sexuality. It doesn't really matter in the end, it's just a game. On top of that, homosexuals aren't anything alien or wrong. They are just regular people who have a different preference in terms of sexuality.

The line of reasoning "They only included x character is because of pandering and their agenda to appeal to x demographic!" has been around forever.

Back in the 50s and 60s, if a minority character was on a television show, you'd have people just like TC chiming in, "Those damn execs only want to pander to the minorities now! Stop shoving it down our throats!"

Same stuff, just different group of people.

Oh man, good thing he wasn't there to see Kirk kiss Uhura, probably would have kicked over his TV and flew down to Paramount in a huff.
---
#420JKatarnPosted 7/3/2014 12:48:00 PM
HighOnPhazon posted...
JKatarn posted...

If you're making this big of a deal out of the announcement of a character in a video-game, yes, you seem to be a bigot/ignorant. Oh heavens, a character who happens to be gay is in my vidya games! Next I'll be forced to engage in endless gay sex!

It's due more to the fact that instead of making a really well written gay character, we have a clown with a Freddy Mercury mustache and eye liner who comes from an oppressed background. Edgy, progressive PANDERING.

You're so ******* annoying, like a fly.

That's the difference between us, on the rare occasion I encounter something I dislike/bothers me, I simply ignore it (if possible) and move on with my life. As long as someone doing something makes them happy and isn't hurting anybody, what do I care?
---