This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Transporting a PC

#1commandox65Posted 7/2/2014 2:03:52 PM
I'm relocating to another state by plane and I'm just thinking of disassembling the whole thing and carrying the individual parts on the plane except the case. I'm not sure I want to leave it to the moving company to get it there intact. Anyone else with experiences transporting their PC to a new location?
#2SinisterSlayPosted 7/2/2014 2:05:36 PM
Yes, your safer with the moving company.
The airplane staff will certainly toss your bags around and wreck your computer.

Normally I suggest removing the video card as it can be very heavy and bouncing it around can cause problems.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3monkmithPosted 7/2/2014 2:10:51 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
The airplane staff will certainly toss your bags around and wreck your computer.

Normally I suggest removing the video card as it can be very heavy and bouncing it around can cause problems.

this, especially the bit about the gpu. you never want to ship a computer with the gpu still plugged in.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
#4Kad-ManPosted 7/2/2014 3:14:49 PM
Go to USPS get insurance for way more then what your computer is worth.Ship it they break it you take pictures send them into claim and boom new computer and then some.
#5DC07301981Posted 7/2/2014 3:21:19 PM
No way would I put electronics in a check in baggage. The TSA rummages through the suitcase sometimes and you'll risk theft/damage to your items. You never know if airport staff just toss stuff around behind the scenes.

I traveled to the Philippines a year and half ago and put two pairs of sneakers and my shaving cream, razors, etc. at the bottom of the suitcase. When I arrived there the sneakers were on top, the bag with my bathroom stuff was on the side, and some of my clothes were partly unfolded.

I'd get a box, put some padding in it, and seal it and pay the extra shipping if I needed to send a PC somewhere.
#6wildog2006Posted 7/2/2014 4:28:55 PM
commandox65 posted...
I'm relocating to another state by plane and I'm just thinking of disassembling the whole thing and carrying the individual parts on the plane except the case. I'm not sure I want to leave it to the moving company to get it there intact. Anyone else with experiences transporting their PC to a new location?

Geeze, can no one read?
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#7Tyranius2Posted 7/2/2014 4:34:31 PM
monkmith posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

this, especially the bit about the gpu. you never want to ship a computer with the gpu still plugged in.

Confirm this, I shipped my computer with the GPU plugged in and it was dead when I tried using it at my new location.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#8ShubPosted 7/2/2014 4:37:46 PM(edited)
Kad-Man posted...
Go to USPS get insurance for way more then what your computer is worth.Ship it they break it you take pictures send them into claim and boom new computer and then some.

That's called insurance fraud, FYI, but just to be extra clear, DON'T DO IT.
In any event, should your USPS-insured package -- or rather, its contents -- be damaged, and you file a claim, you must present evidence of the item's actual value regardless of how much it was insured for.
In any event (bis), good luck getting USPS to pay up.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#9revolverPosted 7/2/2014 4:44:20 PM
I just moved across the country in Canada and shipped my computer via Canada Post in the boxes the case and monitor came with. I covered it with packing paper and put $1600 insurance on both packages and it came to just over $100 cdn and arrived safe and in perfect shape.
---
2500K @ 4.5 | GTX 670 | 8 GB | TX 650 | 128 GB ssd | CM 690 II
#10LordSeiferPosted 7/2/2014 4:54:27 PM
best bet would be take out the gpu, wrap case in a blanket, and move it in a car with someone who is driving. or maybe in the cab of the moving truck if they will do that. that should be enough.
---
^ this