This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Transporting a PC

#11SinisterSlayPosted 7/2/2014 5:36:25 PM
Don't try and disassemble the system and put it in your checked baggage.
Security may destroy it looking for stuff. They recently found bombs in printers so they are on edge now.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#12TomNook20Posted 7/2/2014 6:04:23 PM
It's prolly better to disassemble it and have the moving company ship the individual parts, but in any case, shipping a gaming desktop is generally asking for disaster to strike. If it's an old computer you might just want to take a few parts with you and build a new one at your new location.
---
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/098/7/4/tom_nook_by_themerce-d3dhi0q.png
http://www.gameswagonline.com/uploads/9/0/8/9/9089979/1372277527.jpg
#13WerdnAndreWPosted 7/2/2014 6:33:00 PM
I wouldn't trust anyone with my pc, I'd pack it myself. Remove the gpu and heatsink from inside the case. Protect case with bubble wrap and extra cardboard and ship in a nice thick box.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#14ShubPosted 7/2/2014 6:38:55 PM
WerdnAndreW posted...
Remove the gpu and heatsink from inside the case.

Yep. I would also take the hard drives out and keep them with me, or at least have a good backup and keep that with me.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#15LvthnPosted 7/2/2014 6:44:09 PM
Best method is to remove GPU(s), remove HDDs, lay it mobo side down in the softest packaging you can manage, transport GPU and HDD separately, wrapped or boxed in a box full of either shipping blankets or packing peanuts. Also make backups of critical data.
#16Perfect LightPosted 7/2/2014 9:30:50 PM
If it were me, I would just disassemble it and wrap each part individually.
---
Now Playing: The Walking Dead
Waiting: Dragon Age Inquisition, Grand Theft Auto V, Batman Arkham Knight, The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt
#17BannedMomPosted 7/2/2014 10:34:20 PM
DC07301981 posted...
No way would I put electronics in a check in baggage. The TSA rummages through the suitcase sometimes and you'll risk theft/damage to your items. You never know if airport staff just toss stuff around behind the scenes.

I traveled to the Philippines a year and half ago and put two pairs of sneakers and my shaving cream, razors, etc. at the bottom of the suitcase. When I arrived there the sneakers were on top, the bag with my bathroom stuff was on the side, and some of my clothes were partly unfolded.

I'd get a box, put some padding in it, and seal it and pay the extra shipping if I needed to send a PC somewhere.

USA is f***. Went to Vegas and collected those pictures with girls(if u know what i mean) in it to give my dad as a joke, when I went home, it was gone. Wtf TSA
---
I5-4440 - Asrock H81M - Zotac 750Ti - CM N200 = Future Emulation and Gaming Build @ 1600 x 900
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
#18BeerOnTapPosted 7/2/2014 10:38:46 PM
I take my PC when i make a two hour trip to Richmond. I usually put it in the box. I'm ashamed i never thought about the whole GPU thing mentioned above. However, when i do it i gently place it in the box and then it just sits gently in my back seat (with GPU in it) never had a problem.
However, being shipped and tossed around would be a concern