This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Debating on buying an SSD! Is it worth it?

#11Garage_ManPosted 7/3/2014 2:03:27 AM
Get the Samsung. As far as I'm concerned they are the only SSD makers. They cost a few bucks more but it's added security in my eyes. I have a few of their drives and they keep chugging along even with many TB of data written to them.

Just be warned....you will need SSDs in EVERYTHING you use from now on. I have one in my ps3! It's quite a bit faster.
#12SuperemppuPosted 7/3/2014 2:46:25 AM
I bought a 120gb ssd couple years ago and the difference was mind bending. Just bought a 500gb samsung evo couple months ago for games, loading times are ridiculously low now
---
If brute force doesn't fix the problem, you're not using enough of it.
#13_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 7/3/2014 3:19:40 AM
How much it is worth it depends on what kind of applications you use and the extent to which they benefit from having an SSD.

Though I have to say, since the prices came down below a dollar per GB, I have to say that generally, yes it is worth it.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie EC1 Evo White | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | AKG k550 | Samsung S24A350H
#14SilentByNaturePosted 7/3/2014 3:44:09 AM
Lvthn posted...
Garage_Man posted...
God yes. How does a 2 year old install of windows 8 that boots basically as fast as day one sound?

If I could afford it I would do 1tb SSDs all around and get rid of my HD. Games load soooooo sllloowwww.

For me the big selling point really is just cutting down loading screens in-game. Nothing kills my mood more than seemingly endless load screens between zones in a game, and I also hate the idea that my gameplay decisions are being impacted by my desire to avoid the slowness of my hardware.

How much time is saved depends on the game, some games it saves little time (esp online multiplayer, not much point if the match requires everyone to load up first), in some games I literally saw 30 seconds drop from initial load and 15-20 seconds from every new area load, totalling 10+ minutes in some games not spent watching paint dry.

250GB+ is the only way to go, get it and game on it and reclaim your time wasted on loading screens to be more efficiently wasted gaming.

I see people saying this a lot about SSDs. I'm just curious what games you guys are playing? I'm still using a 500GB HDD, and of the games I'm playing my load times are never longer than 10 or 15 seconds.
#15Lemur_HPosted 7/3/2014 3:56:28 AM
10 or 15 seconds is painful once you have been spoiled by an SSD.

I'm running an all SSD computer now. I'm that crazy about it.
#16bkkorpsPosted 7/3/2014 5:19:17 AM
SilentByNature posted...
I see people saying this a lot about SSDs. I'm just curious what games you guys are playing? I'm still using a 500GB HDD, and of the games I'm playing my load times are never longer than 10 or 15 seconds.

take a game like Skryim, where over the course of a play through you see say 1000 (conservatively) loading screens, and the SSD saves you 10 seconds (again, conservatively) per loading screen, that is almost 3 hours of dead time that you dont have to sit through. Time is money, and with 3 hours saved I could buy another SSD with that money.

that is just one game and ignores the time saved from other applications opening up. It is annoying when I go into work and my computer is basically worthless for the first 5 minutes after I turn it on. It is safe to say that all future computer builds I do will have an SSD, at least until that is surpassed by some other technology.
---
Religion is like circumcision. If you wait until someone is 21 to tell them about it, they probably won't be interested.
#17ClashtonnPosted 7/3/2014 5:35:08 AM
SSD is great for booting fast and a few slow loading programs. But for the most part, ehhh.

I love it in my laptop. But my PC is always on and I rarely see a difference in gaming> And Id on't use my PC for anything else. So it was kind of a waste for me.
#18xcmon3yx2Posted 7/3/2014 6:13:46 AM
yes make sure read and write are over 450mbps. I recommend the Samsung 840pro or evo
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/xcmon3yx777, (Steam: xcmon3yx2), (XBL: HakudoshiV77360), (WoW: xcmon3yx2#1204)
#19arleasPosted 7/3/2014 7:58:52 AM
THE_WTF_PANDA posted...
I'm looking at this one

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE250BW/dp/B00E3W1726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404377100&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+840+evo

That's the one I have and with their "RAPID" service and other enhancements, I get faster speeds now than when I got it initially. My most recent benchmark shows 5273MB/second sequential read, 4870MB/Second Sequential write.

That blows hard drives away easily. The only thing faster would be a RAM drive and you can't boot up off of a RAM drive. Booting up takes just seconds; every action that relied on the hard drive is much faster. The "Samsung Magician" program they include with it will help make sure you've got everything set up properly for it.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#20CloneTheHeroPosted 7/3/2014 8:04:44 AM
My next build will def have an SSD or two, they're the future.
---
Currently Playing: Uncharted 3 (PS3), Shenmue (DC), Shadowrun (Genesis)