This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Divinity Original Sin

#11heeeee1eeeeePosted 7/3/2014 8:05:43 AM
Think of this game as Skyrim for old people.
If you were born after the 1990's you'll most likely hate it.
---
Who needs a SigNaTuRe!
#12SinisterSlayPosted 7/3/2014 8:23:48 AM
heeeee1eeeee posted...

well I'm 1987...
But still, it's a new gameplay type for me, without a demo I have no idea if I would like it.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#13revolverPosted 7/3/2014 8:24:45 AM
For me, this game is some serious competition for goty with dark souls 2 and I haven't had this much fun playing an rpg in a long time. I'm seriously stoked to get home from work and play it which doesn't happen very often anymore.
---
2500K @ 4.5 | GTX 670 | 8 GB | TX 650 | 128 GB ssd | CM 690 II
#14DarkLagunaPosted 7/3/2014 8:33:38 AM
The game isn't inherently hard, it just assumes you know how to put together a decent party, or know how to cheese the system (much like older CRPG's). It's not like newer RPG's where you can throw whatever you want in your party and make everyone a jack-of-all-trades. The game is cake with a couple of wizards and a tank, and then the "utility" character (lockpicking, blacksmithing, etc), but trying to go in with all melee characters, or even a well-rounded party with the wrong abilities, will make the game much more difficult.

It does play a lot like older CRPG's, but it still needs a bit of polish, especially the crafting system. And the persuasion minigame is horrendous and mostly luck based. The field magic thing is kind of gimmicky as well; there's patches of poison, fire, oil, etc. everywhere, and barrels full of the stuff in abundance, so it's kind of immersion breaking. An old, abandoned house on the outskirts of town shouldn't be filled with poison gas and a thundercloud for all eternity until you dispell it. =P

A fun game, if you can overlook it's flaws, though. I love the Tactical style of battles, reminiscent of the early Fallout titles, and Arcanum.
---
I feel a draft on my butt...
#15WilIDearbornPosted 7/3/2014 8:35:36 AM
DarkLaguna posted...
An old, abandoned house on the outskirts of town shouldn't be filled with poison gas and a thundercloud for all eternity until you dispell it.

i dunno man, would explain why it's abandoned
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#16AnimorganimatePosted 7/3/2014 8:38:48 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
heeeee1eeeee posted...

well I'm 1987...
But still, it's a new gameplay type for me, without a demo I have no idea if I would like it.

If your only problem with Divine Divinity is that it is real-time, then you might like Original Sin, which is similar to Divine Divinity, but with tactical turn-based combat instead.

It all depends on whether-or-not you like story-driven, engrossing, slower-paced, exploratory RPGs. If you've never played Baldur's Gate; Arcanum; the original Fallout; or even the Knights of the Old Republic series to an extent, then there really is no way to know if you'll like it.

It's a great game though, which you'll invest quite a few hours into as you progress. Find some Let's Play videos and see if the gameplay is appealing to you.
---
. . . methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
#17TanonPosted 7/3/2014 8:41:55 AM
I love it.
---
GT- Renarka.
TaCoS - All the gas. None of the TexMex
#18SinisterSlayPosted 7/3/2014 8:43:57 AM
Animorganimate posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
heeeee1eeeee posted...

well I'm 1987...

If your only problem with Divine Divinity is that it is real-time, then you might like Original Sin, which is similar to Divine Divinity, but with tactical turn-based combat instead.

It all depends on whether-or-not you like story-driven, engrossing, slower-paced, exploratory RPGs. If you've never played Baldur's Gate; Arcanum; the original Fallout; or even the Knights of the Old Republic series to an extent, then there really is no way to know if you'll like it.

It's a great game though, which you'll invest quite a few hours into as you progress. Find some Let's Play videos and see if the gameplay is appealing to you.

I hate the original fallout if that matters.

I am fine with the combat, but the exploration, time limit, and annoying pixel hunting puzzles turn me off the game very quickly.

But you say this new divinity has a good story?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#19greywolf00Posted 7/3/2014 9:01:31 AM
Love it. The combat is kind of slow and drags at times but easily one of the better RPGs I've played in quite awhile. Failing to strategically plan (ie use the environment / create element combos) can easily cost you fights. Their brand of humor isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea but I've enjoyed it so far.
#20heeeee1eeeeePosted 7/3/2014 9:14:49 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
I hate the original fallout if that matters.

I am fine with the combat, but the exploration, time limit, and annoying pixel hunting puzzles turn me off the game very quickly.

But you say this new divinity has a good story?

If you hated the original fallout then this game isn't for you. I am not sure about the in game mechanics but this game and fallout are the same gameplay wise.

What's the point of a playing a game with a good story if you aren't having fun.
---
Who needs a SigNaTuRe!