This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you deal with being spoiled?

#11ClashtonnPosted 7/3/2014 5:59:17 AM
I honestly don't care that much.

Especially when it comes to games
#12WilIDearbornPosted 7/3/2014 6:13:39 AM(edited)
PhilOnDez posted...
According to a couple of studies that I'm too lazy to look up, having something spoiled for you actually increases your enjoyment of the piece overall. The studies were conducted with movies and books, not games, but I think it holds up.

Sounds like a load of crap considering there are a number of people who will put something off/down after having been spoiled. I don't doubt it's true for some people, but as a generalization I think it's BS. Being spoiled is different than experiencing something for the second time like you describe with BioInf. The "hah, that was what was going on?" isn't the same if you weren't blissfully ignorant before. With spoilers you just get the second "hah, i see" experience rather than both the fresh "wait what" and "hah i see."
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#13link510Posted 7/3/2014 6:16:10 AM
I try not to think about it and then avoid the game/movie/whatever for long enough that I forgot everything anyway and give it another go.
#14jestsman5ian(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 6:18:15 AM
I have no idea how being spoiled can enhance your enjoyment. The problem is it annoys and frustrates me so much that I lose motivation to keep playing.

If I do start playing again the experience is different since I know the endgame. It takes me out of the moment and my focus is interrupted.

Usually I try to will myself to forget or ignore what I learned and continue playing. I find a lot of the time I overreact initially and the game is still enjoyable once I get past the emotional part of being spoiled.

Still, it is very annoying to have what should be a pure experience ruined. It makes me wonder what I would have felt or thought had I been uninformed going into the endgame.
#15desertmanPosted 7/3/2014 6:24:44 AM
I keep playing to understand the context of the spoiler.
---
about:robots
about:mozilla
#16arleasPosted 7/3/2014 6:26:44 AM
I think the deal with saying spoilers enhance your enjoyment means that the story wasn't great EXCEPT for the spoiler and when you find that out at least you know that there's something good coming. For me, in most cases, hearing the spoiler ruins the reason to watch in the first place.

When it comes to video games, having the story spoiled is annoying, but unless the story is the only reason to play (like the TellTale Walking Dead Games) I'll probably still play it. I'll try to forget about whatever the spoiler is though. Sometimes that's not possible like with Final Fantasy 7. Those spoilers were so huge and blatant that the only way to forget would be to self-inflict brain trauma.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#17PhilOnDezPosted 7/3/2014 7:02:46 AM(edited)
desertman posted...

That's a part of it, plus you'll have a better shot at noticing all the otherwise meaningless foreshadowing.

Basically, it kills the anticipation of 'what's going to happen?' but lets you focus on the 'What leads up to that?', you'll notice a lot of things that seem trivial otherwise. Kind of a journey vs the destination kinda deal
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#18kingoffpsPosted 7/3/2014 7:00:59 AM
With games I don't really care. TV shows I'm much more bothered by, but generally as there is a lot of content for a tv show (dozens of hours) I can look past a spoiler and be excited about the uncertain path which leads to it.

Films however... if it's an important twist then it completely ruins it. A 90-120 min piece of entertainment that you can never discover for the first time ever again. All ruined because some **** put on his Facebook status or someone else's or had a loud public conversation that was impossible to ignore. Insensitive ****s who deserve to have their ***** removed.
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...
#19arleasPosted 7/3/2014 7:03:00 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
desertman posted...

That's a part of it, plus you'll have a better shot at noticing all the otherwise meaningless foreshadowing.

That's why I would watch it a 2nd time. If it's already spoiled well, then that's out the window. I DO sometimes watch/play things a 2nd time.

It'd be like if someone sat next to you and explained everything in Donnie Darko....I'd rather see it not knowing what the hell is going on and then watch it a 2nd time and figure it out. Having someone explain it to me doesn't really enhance anything for me.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#20WilIDearbornPosted 7/3/2014 7:09:57 AM
arleas posted...
That's why I would watch it a 2nd time. If it's already spoiled well, then that's out the window. I DO sometimes watch/play things a 2nd time.

It'd be like if someone sat next to you and explained everything in Donnie Darko....I'd rather see it not knowing what the hell is going on and then watch it a 2nd time and figure it out. Having someone explain it to me doesn't really enhance anything for me.

Yeah, this is pretty much my thoughts on spoilers. It doesn't ruin the work, but it ruins that first experience which you can't get back. Like with Persona 4, having that spoiled completely changes your thoughts and you don't go through the game trying to figure the mystery out. You do get to experience dramatic irony, but you would have gotten that on your second playthrough anyway.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg