This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you deal with being spoiled?

#21PhilOnDezPosted 7/3/2014 8:57:56 AM
I think the disconnect here is that we have a different idea of what constitutes spoilers. Yeah, watching Donnie Darko with somebody explaining everything would suck. If somebody tells you that much about something you planned to watch without you stopping them that's your fault, or if you read an in-depth plot synopsis. My version of spoiling Donnie Darko is three words, Donnie is Jesus. Persona 4 would be a bit more, Adachi is the killer, Izanami is behind everything, with an added Marie is Izanami's true form for Golden. That may be what the whole movie is setting up but if that's all you care about you probably wouldn't have liked the movie in the first place.

Those are the destinations, that doesn't tell you anything about the motivation behind the characters' actions, the actions' consequences, or how you get to that point.

Don't get me wrong, like I said above, I don't go seeking out spoilers because I think the conclusion of the studies sounds as much like BS as the next guy. At the end of the day though, I've ended up loving every great movie or game that I've ended up having spoiled for me ahead of time and I don't think the spoiler mattered as much to me as people are saying it matters to them. Then again, if somebody starts going in-depth on something I wanted to watch I always "Ah ah ah, dude, spoilers!" so I've never had an entire story ruined for me.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#22XeedyofNamzyPosted 7/3/2014 9:20:00 AM
Rage, mark the person who spoiled the game(or flame them if outside of GFAQS). Be saddened, and then go back to playing the game.
---
Previously Billdough002/GTA4Wii
#23pwnater777Posted 7/3/2014 9:27:49 AM
Try to appreciate the rest of whatever was spoiled. For instance, I had Final Fantasy X spoiled for me. Luckily, I'm still able to enjoy the rest of the game because the ending was spoiled before I even started.
---
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#24a_Wizards_BakerPosted 7/3/2014 10:35:30 AM
WilIDearborn posted...
PhilOnDez posted...
According to a couple of studies that I'm too lazy to look up, having something spoiled for you actually increases your enjoyment of the piece overall. The studies were conducted with movies and books, not games, but I think it holds up.

Sounds like a load of crap considering there are a number of people who will put something off/down after having been spoiled. I don't doubt it's true for some people, but as a generalization I think it's BS. Being spoiled is different than experiencing something for the second time like you describe with BioInf. The "hah, that was what was going on?" isn't the same if you weren't blissfully ignorant before. With spoilers you just get the second "hah, i see" experience rather than both the fresh "wait what" and "hah i see."

Nope, studies say otherwise. Here's a guardian article that links to the research:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2011/aug/17/spoilers-enhance-enjoyment-psychologists

Personally I couldn't care less about being spoiled, especially in games. I generally skip all cut-scenes and dialog because i genuinely do not care one way or another about the story. Get me to the game / in the action as quickly as possible.
#25Pepys MonsterPosted 7/3/2014 10:36:28 AM
This is not what "being spoiled" means.
---
i7-4790K | EVGA GTX 780 3GB | 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1866 | 1TB Crucial M550 SSD | 4TB WD Black HDD | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Antec EA-650 Platinum
#26MaxCHEATER64Posted 7/3/2014 10:38:39 AM
a_Wizards_Baker posted...
Nope, studies say otherwise.

"These studies prove your opinion wrong!"

-a_Wizards_Baker, 2014
---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
#27rkpeaglePosted 7/3/2014 10:43:16 AM
It depends on how I was spoiled.

Was playing Wind Waker HD for the first time on the WiiU and messing around with the Tingle bottles that you can use to write to other people. My first time opening going a bottle ended up being a massive GoT spoiler. **** like that pisses me off.

But I"m not as bothered if I got spoiled by being on a game's message board then I had it coming.
---
FC - 5284-1505-9659
#28WilIDearbornPosted 7/3/2014 10:59:14 AM(edited)
a_Wizards_Baker posted...
Nope, studies say otherwise. Here's a guardian article that links to the research:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2011/aug/17/spoilers-enhance-enjoyment-psychologists

...did you completely miss that my post was calling out said studies about their generalization because there are numerous people that is not true for? >_>

and lol at a sample size of 30 people being used as proof to make such a generalization
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#29BogePosted 7/3/2014 10:58:18 AM
Humble - having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's own importance.

I try to do this. I wonder if I do it wrong though. I think sometimes I try to play down the "spoiledness", either make it less than it was in my head so I feel I can deserve it. Or keep myself down enough to where that one time of being spoiled sort of makes up for all the long time that I wasn't, kind of like averaging out the spoiledness.

Sometimes you are spoiled and all you can do is be thankful. Have you ever truly been thankful? That alone is such a powerful thing that it helps bring all of that into balance.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#30Bane766Posted 7/3/2014 11:00:42 AM
Yeah this topic title is misleading, lol.

But if it's for a game it's generally not a big deal. Usually the experience is worth playing it. If it's for a book or movie, then my motivation to read/watch it drops significantly-I prob won't go near it for several years.
---
Douleur Peur Mort