This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you deal with being spoiled?

#31InterfusorPosted 7/3/2014 11:40:11 AM
Hagan posted...
Pay it forward

Spoil the game/story for someone else. That is how the universe corrects itself.

Let him who is without sin cause the first spoiler.
---
I am not economically viable.
#32a_Wizards_BakerPosted 7/3/2014 12:58:53 PM(edited)
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
a_Wizards_Baker posted...
Nope, studies say otherwise.

"These studies prove your opinion wrong!"

-a_Wizards_Baker, 2014

Clever, but if you had bothered to read the post, what I was replying to was this: Sounds like a load of crap.

WilIDearborn posted...
a_Wizards_Baker posted...
Nope, studies say otherwise. Here's a guardian article that links to the research:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2011/aug/17/spoilers-enhance-enjoyment-psychologists

...did you completely miss that my post was calling out said studies about their generalization because there are numerous people that is not true for? >_>

and lol at a sample size of 30 people being used as proof to make such a generalization

What are you on about? The study not scientific law, it was saying that, on average, people are not bothered by spoilers (in fact, it actually enhances their experience). Just because you know 'numerous people' (a generalization) who aren't in line with the findings in no way invalidates the study.

No one is arguing that it doesn't ruin it for some people, but what was found is that most people (myself included) are not bothered by spoilers. I was merely providing a link supporting PhilOnDez's post.
#33Puckswack12Posted 7/3/2014 12:49:09 PM
Thought this topic was about how we live with ourselves being entitled, which made me laugh, and enter it.
---
Yup
#34VordraxPosted 7/3/2014 12:52:57 PM
If a plot is complex and compelling, having one element, no matter how crucial it is, won't rob it of its complexity. If a plot is wholly reliant on a single element, then it's not a plot worth experiencing fully (see: every M. Night movie every, except for Unbreakable.)

I'd prefer not to have a story spoiled for me, but I don't really get upset about it too much. Discovery is only a small portion of my enjoyment of any game, movie, or book. I'd go so far as to say that if a game, movie, or book becomes worse when a twist or story element is spoiled, then it really wasn't very good at all. I think people are bothered more by the feeling of having something spoiled for them than they are by the spoiler itself.
---
Miroku2235: Every time someone says the Mesmer reminds them of Naruto I die a little inside.
Groadergreen: I'm legally deceased because of things like this.
#35LvthnPosted 7/3/2014 1:08:27 PM
Lemur_H posted...
oh man, i thought this thread was about something else

Same, I was like "uh, I enjoy being spoiled, that's why I got a PC, only the best for the king baby."
#36johnny_payPosted 7/3/2014 1:28:41 PM
i read as many spoilers as possible so that by the time i get to that point i wont be happy or sad as i already know what happens