This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are the days where we could "never have too much RAM" behind us?

#11samurai1900Posted 7/3/2014 9:31:02 AM(edited)
ReRAM will be available "shortly"

If I were to buy some, 6TB would be the absolute minimum by 2016/17, though I slightly doubt it will be available in such quantity by that time.

Maybe 2020/21?
---
For Shuppet fans and lovers - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ShuppetForLife
For Meloetta fans and lovers - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/MeloettaForLife
#12JonWood007Posted 7/3/2014 2:14:08 PM
I think the need for ram has declined in recent years...but that can be said of technology in general. PC tech is growing much more slowly than it did in the past, and the need for more is also growing slowly. I mean, 4 GB RAM was "good enough" for like, 4-5 years after it became the standard. We've only seen a shift to 8 GB recently, and it will likely stay there for a few years. CPU tech has stagnated. While it exploded up through the late 2000s, it has stagnated in recent years. Take the fact, for example, that an i5 is not even twice as powerful in most scenarios as my 5 year old Phenom II CPU. Look at what was being used 5 years before that....Pentum 4s and Athlon XPs.

GPUs are the only field in which tech seems to be growing at a consistent rate. We generally see an improvement of 40% a generation/year, and that means we see double the power every 2 years or so. Like, seriously, the only aspect of computing where moore's law seems to be applying is GPUs. CPUs are stagnating, and RAM needs are too. We still see improvements, mind you, but it's way slower than Moore's Law at this point.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#13monkmithPosted 7/3/2014 2:27:11 PM
...but i want a RAM disk.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
#14BogePosted 7/3/2014 3:06:59 PM(edited)
Nope. We could never have too much RAM. That means NEVER, which means we will always have use for more RAM. As long as technology keeps advancing, we'll need more RAM...maybe not RAM per say, but, some sort of memory like technology.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#15kingoffpsPosted 7/3/2014 4:02:34 PM
JonWood007 posted...
I think the need for ram has declined in recent years...but that can be said of technology in general. PC tech is growing much more slowly than it did in the past, and the need for more is also growing slowly. I mean, 4 GB RAM was "good enough" for like, 4-5 years after it became the standard. We've only seen a shift to 8 GB recently, and it will likely stay there for a few years. CPU tech has stagnated. While it exploded up through the late 2000s, it has stagnated in recent years. Take the fact, for example, that an i5 is not even twice as powerful in most scenarios as my 5 year old Phenom II CPU. Look at what was being used 5 years before that....Pentum 4s and Athlon XPs.

GPUs are the only field in which tech seems to be growing at a consistent rate. We generally see an improvement of 40% a generation/year, and that means we see double the power every 2 years or so. Like, seriously, the only aspect of computing where moore's law seems to be applying is GPUs. CPUs are stagnating, and RAM needs are too. We still see improvements, mind you, but it's way slower than Moore's Law at this point.

I think if we had more need for parallelism on CPU intensive tasks then they would increase. Quad core has been standard for a while now. Increasing the speed of a single thread is really hard now at this point,

But there doesn't seem to be any need to "parallelise" the vast majority of CPU intensive applications beyond what they are now. At least not in the general consumer market. It will be a while before 8, 16, 32 core etc.
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...
#16Lonestar2000Posted 7/3/2014 4:16:37 PM
I have 16Gbs because I got it for the same price as 8GBs after rebate. The most I have ver used is 7GBs so I would have been fine with 8GBs.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#17Enigma149Posted 7/3/2014 4:22:21 PM
Yes, you can have too much RAM.

Of course, I would define that as being more than twice the total storage of your system, not counting the Windows installation (which, unfortunately, increases as you add more RAM). Since this is pretty much impossible to get, it's not really an issue.
---
"The winner is the gamer who gets to play all of the games, and the game developer who is recognized for the great games they made." -Retroxgamer0
#18Sora_AnbuPosted 7/3/2014 4:51:22 PM
Enigma149 posted...
Yes, you can have too much RAM.

Of course, I would define that as being more than twice the total storage of your system, not counting the Windows installation (which, unfortunately, increases as you add more RAM). Since this is pretty much impossible to get, it's not really an issue.

Photoshop wants to talk to you. In a rig with 32 gb of ram it was hitting 25-26 in usage.
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
#19AmirygonPosted 7/3/2014 4:52:57 PM
On a Windows 32bit system, it is true since you can only officially have 4GB at best. For a 64bit system, obviously the only con to having more than enough RAM is the COST.

Really, that article had to be written by an amateur.
---
It is the fact you are offended, quite frankly, that offends me.