This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can you tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS?

#31godplaysSNESPosted 7/3/2014 11:07:22 AM
Yep. It's much more noticeable feeling the difference when you're actually playing though, rather than watching a clip.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#32bsballa09Posted 7/3/2014 11:13:04 AM
Can I tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS when they are being compared side by side? Yes. When I'm playing the game itself? No.
---
The 2012 E3 Watch Dogs gameplay demo was not PS4 footage. The PS4 version was never downgraded. Stop being stupid.
#33SonyHoundDawgPosted 7/3/2014 11:16:02 AM
I can easily tell 30 or 60fps. Im not real sensitive to dips, if something goes from 60 to 45ish and back to 60 it all looks pretty good to me still.

I am fine with games capped at 30fps like on a console, but I cant stand a pc game that would dip from 60fps to 30, that's a bit to jarring.
#34halomonkey1_3_5Posted 7/3/2014 11:24:12 AM
Yes. I can stand it in some cases(when 30FPS is the minimum FPS and not 30FPS max and drops to sub-20 at times) and I actually kinda get used to it when I go on vacation since my laptop isnt very good, but 60FPS is noticeably smoother and more responsive.

neroAngelo posted...
The only time I've ever managed to see a difference between the 2 is that counter strike example. But that's not representative of actual gameplay. You don't play CS by spinning in a circle as fast as you can. And if motion blur had been applied, the would have been no perceivable difference.

motion blur doesnt give you the fluidity in control that 60FPS(or even higher in Source games) does, and it looks leagues better running at 60FPS with motion blur(although motion blur in 99% of games is absolute garbage).
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#35BuburibonPosted 7/3/2014 12:15:56 PM
I can, but apparently some PC gamers cannot given the right environment/conditions. Long story shorter, my wife and I hosted a BBQ a little while ago during the Steam sales. My brother-in-law, a "fundamentalist" PC gamer, brought along one of his co-workers, also a PC gamer. Amongst other things, they wanted to try out some console ports on my system, built exclusively for gaming on the big screen, with a gamepad.

We began with a few ports running at a locked 60fps, standard vsync, and the default frame buffer (maximum pre-rendered frames) of 3. I then suggested they should pick-up Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon during the sale, and proceeded to showcase it to them. The thing is, I had previously set it to 1/2 refresh (30hz) vsync, 30fps frame limit, and frame buffer set to 1 in order to minimize any input lag. All via Nvidia Inspector.

So, I hand them the controller and the next thing I hear is, and I paraphrase "man, I don't like controllers but this is so smooth and responsive... gotta love PC gaming on a big Plasma TV." I smile, agree with their observation of how "ideally" that game had performed, alt+tab, and launch Fraps before going back to the game. Needless to mention, when the truth revealed itself they both looked a tad embarrassed, in major denial, and most definitely blown away. Granted, I specifically chose Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon for my little experiment because it is ridiculously smooth and responsive on a gamepad with the settings above. But, still, there's no denying that they were so impressed with that locked 30fps that it never crossed their minds it wasn't 60.

By the way, I don't think I would've been able to tell either. Not under those circumstances.
---
Now Playing: Child Of Light (PC) | Watch_Dogs (PC) | Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC) | Mario Kart 8
#36HomstarRunnerPosted 7/3/2014 12:33:08 PM
Buburibon posted...
I can, but apparently some PC gamers cannot given the right environment/conditions. Long story shorter, my wife and I hosted a BBQ a little while ago during the Steam sales. My brother-in-law, a "fundamentalist" PC gamer, brought along one of his co-workers, also a PC gamer. Amongst other things, they wanted to try out some console ports on my system, built exclusively for gaming on the big screen, with a gamepad.

We began with a few ports running at a locked 60fps, standard vsync, and the default frame buffer (maximum pre-rendered frames) of 3. I then suggested they should pick-up Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon during the sale, and proceeded to showcase it to them. The thing is, I had previously set it to 1/2 refresh (30hz) vsync, 30fps frame limit, and frame buffer set to 1 in order to minimize any input lag. All via Nvidia Inspector.

So, I hand them the controller and the next thing I hear is, and I paraphrase "man, I don't like controllers but this is so smooth and responsive... gotta love PC gaming on a big Plasma TV." I smile, agree with their observation of how "ideally" that game had performed, alt+tab, and launch Fraps before going back to the game. Needless to mention, when the truth revealed itself they both looked a tad embarrassed, in major denial, and most definitely blown away. Granted, I specifically chose Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon for my little experiment because it is ridiculously smooth and responsive on a gamepad with the settings above. But, still, there's no denying that they were so impressed with that locked 30fps that it never crossed their minds it wasn't 60.

By the way, I don't think I would've been able to tell either. Not under those circumstances.

That brother-in-law's name? Albert Einstein.
---
Yoshi's Story turned me into the jaded cynic I am today ~BringerOfPie
#37BuburibonPosted 7/3/2014 12:39:23 PM
HomstarRunner posted...
Buburibon posted...

That brother-in-law's name? Albert Einstein.

His middle name is actually Albert. Excellent guess, and thank you very much for your most valuable input. :-)
---
Now Playing: Child Of Light (PC) | Watch_Dogs (PC) | Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC) | Mario Kart 8
#38SinisterSlayPosted 7/3/2014 12:39:56 PM(edited)
Yes I can, but it blurs after 45.

Then I only notice in high speed racing games.

My driving ability drops dramatically if my framerate goes below 60. Which is why I don't bother with racing games on consoles.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#39chaoscontrol325Posted 7/3/2014 12:51:55 PM
I can, I just don't overly care.
---
PSN: Lazuri65 XBL:LazuriXIII
If you don't write you're from GameFAQs and what board in the friend request, you will be denied.
#40MrDietSodaPosted 7/3/2014 12:52:22 PM
Yes, I can tell, and yes, I can tell when I'm playing.
---
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.