This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

question about using timewarner for new apartment

#1pairenoidPosted 7/3/2014 10:30:56 AM
So I move out on this saturday, and I am going to busy everyday for work, but I need internet asap. After doing research I wanted to choose DSL EXTREME but found that its an ATT area so I can't unless I have a landline, well I don't want a landline and so it seems timewarner is the option for me, as well as what the complex suggested.

What is the process for setting up time warner? can I call them now and just set it up and buy my own modem and router? I looked at their prices and they charge you monthly for a modem and router unless you use your own, so I will buy my own, but I want it to be 100% compatible so any suggestions?

also, what else is the process? I want to make sure I can have it up and running within a week on my own setup(modem / router). Do timewarner need to supply me with anything else or something? I heard if I use my own and I have problems setting up, they won't give me tech support.
---
[i5 2500k][haf 912][asrock z68 ex3][powercooler 6870][8gb g.skill ripjaw series][OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W][hitachi 500gb]
#2SnadadosPosted 7/3/2014 10:40:30 AM
https://www.google.com/#q=time+warner+compatible+modems&spell=1

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/buy-your-modem.html

For everything else about the process, call them.
They'll have a lot more answers than the people here can give you.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#3Sora_AnbuPosted 7/3/2014 10:40:30 AM
I think you can get a moto surf board. When I was with them I had one set with my router. No issues.
Just call and have them come by. If you're unable to figure out how to set up your own network stuff just pay for renting it. I never had issues while I was stationed in Fayetteville NC with their service.
If you are willing to learn how to fix and troubleshoot your own equipment it will save you cash. But with that, if there's a network issue it's still their responsibility to fix it.
As for what to get, call them and see what standards they use, then buy a modem from amazon that meets it.
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
#4r0ge00Posted 7/3/2014 10:47:52 AM(edited)
I'll give you my story. I recently moved and found out that Time Warner (TWC) was the only option in my area. I called them up and set up an appointment, telling them I was going to be using my own modem. I got a cancellation e-mail for the setup. They didn't bother calling me at all. At this point I saw that they had sent a bill already and were charging for a modem as well, after I already told them I would be using my own.

I called them back up and was juggled around to 3 or 4 different people before I found someone who could help me. He was able to tell me that there weren't actually installation slots open for that day and was able to set up a new appointment and waved the install fee (only nice thing they did). He also adjusted my bill to take off the modem charge. I get a new bill then and the price is $5 higher than what was agreed upon.

So I call them again and have to tell 4 different people that my bill is wrong and that they need to fix it. They finally decide to give me the number to my local office and let them deal with it. They can't even transfer me. 30 minutes later, I finally have my bill fixed.

The 2 install guys shows up and they brought a modem (why they needed two people to hook up a modem, I will never know). They hook mine up after I tell them I won't be using theirs for the 10th time and then we proceed to sit there while they wait for a call back from someone about the code they need to enter to authorize my modem. All in all, the 5 minute process took 25.

The internet is slower than it should be, although this could be my router, I have a newer one to try out this weekend to see if it goes away. All in all, I'm not very happy so far. Charter wasn't the greatest, but it was much better than this cluster fart .

TL:DR - TWC is dumb. I used a Surfboard 6121 and would advise against using them unless they're your only option.
#5pairenoid(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 10:49:42 AM
I was actually going to purchase the Surfboard 6121, thanks for the heads up. The reason I ask about the process is exactly as you described, I wanted to avoid customer service and paying them money to just 'plug it in' if I can do it myself. Also did not want trouble using my own modem and router, or get poorer speeds.
---
[i5 2500k][haf 912][asrock z68 ex3][powercooler 6870][8gb g.skill ripjaw series][OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W][hitachi 500gb]
#6r0ge00Posted 7/3/2014 10:55:09 AM
Well the 6121 is the same exact modem they brought, so there were certainly no compatibility issues there. The process was a painful experience, but hopefully that's all done with now. As far as having to pay them to plug it in, you could probably get your install fee waived since it is only $15 and they would rather have you on the hook for a year+ than have you not get the service due to that. They have to send someone out to hook it up unless the service is already in place and you're just installing a new modem IIRC. At least that's what they told me when I asked them the first time.
#7pairenoid(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 11:03:44 AM
Think ill buy the Surfboard 6121 then, a lot of conflicting reviews on amazon about people being able to set it up no problem, and others saying they refuse to activate service because its not supported, even though it says on their site it is. Do I have to worry about what type of router I buy or can I just buy any decent cheap one?
---
#8r0ge00Posted 7/3/2014 11:08:13 AM(edited)
That's really up to your budget, how much space you need to cover, how many devices you will be connecting, and what type of devices. Any $50 range router should be more than fine for an apartment. It's always a bonus if it's DD-WRT or Tomato firmware compatible.
#9Killah PriestPosted 7/3/2014 11:16:36 AM
Installation wise... have time warner cable and have always used my own modem, they hooked everything up no issue and waived the installation fee, never had an equipment charge on the bill and the internet speed was actually one tier above what I paid for.

They even offered the promotional gift card right after I signed up and when I called about it they credited my account 100 dollars without any hassle even tho I didn't sign up when the promotion was offered.

Now when I had issues with my service quality I did have to go through a few really poor customer service representatives until I got one that was helpful and not just trying to get me off the phone.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#10LvthnPosted 7/3/2014 11:32:23 AM
Jesus, this has been a lot of guessing at what should be a pretty straightforward thing to ask.

So far as installation goes, a TW technician will have to make sure there's actually signal to the wall plate you want, both by connecting it at the tap (outside) and verifying that internal wiring is acceptable. If you have your own modem, they'll probably ask for the SN and MAC and maybe some other information, to provision it for your account. If everyone involved is competent, this takes less than 10 minutes, but it's pretty much inevitable that someone will have to come out there to hook it up at the tap. Even if you choose an express install (nobody comes inside your home), if there are any problems with internal wiring, they'll have to come back out for a TC later.

Possible screwups:

- the work order is entered wrong and calls for a modem. Tech can fix this once you inform him you have your own.
- the tech is a moron and doesn't know how to (or even that you can) provision a retail modem rather than an in-house modem
- the phone operator is a moron, see above
- one or the other knows you can do this, but bungles the process horribly. Like a guy I saw who provisioned a damn wifi router

In short, what you want is easy and is done routinely, but in my exeperience you may as well prepare yourself for the distinct possibility of fail from all directions.