This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

question about using timewarner for new apartment

#11pairenoid(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 3:19:57 PM
thanks some more questions. I keep reading that they don't allow self install for first time customer(even though I see this option) because they need to send a tech out to test my cables ? ><...

I am picking up an sb6121 today and my dad will give me an old router. I also don't know anything about coaxial cables or splitters, would the technician come and provide me with those? I only want to avoid the monthly fees for modem and router so Ill purchase my own but I think ill end up having the tech come out to test my speeds and setup the cables. Only problem is I have to wait until next sat for them to send them out...wtf
---
[i5 2500k][haf 912][asrock z68 ex3][powercooler 6870][8gb g.skill ripjaw series][OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W][hitachi 500gb]
#12LvthnPosted 7/3/2014 4:00:09 PM
pairenoid posted...
thanks some more questions. I keep reading that they don't allow self install for first time customer(even though I see this option) because they need to send a tech out to test my cables ? ><...

I am picking up an sb6121 today and my dad will give me an old router. I also don't know anything about coaxial cables or splitters, would the technician come and provide me with those? I only want to avoid the monthly fees for modem and router so Ill purchase my own but I think ill end up having the tech come out to test my speeds and setup the cables. Only problem is I have to wait until next sat for them to send them out...wtf

That makes sense. As I said, if there were any internal wiring issues, they'd end up having a trouble call anyway and they dislike having that on their stats so first time they'll want a full install. Probably for your own benefit, if they're decent they'll reconfigure splitters if needed to get optimum signal on that outlet only.

Nothing you can do about appointments, though on a Saturday you may risk getting a contractor rather than a tech, depending on how that company operates.
#13foodeater4Posted 7/3/2014 4:13:31 PM
The company will provide all the cables and splitters you need. IF your moving to an apartment its probably pre wired and crap and theres a good chance the person before you was probably using it. It generally should be quick and painless.

I really lucked out when I got my modem, granted this was a in 2005 or so, so its possible I may need a new modem if I want faster speeds now, but with cox when I got my service they were selling the modem for 99cents with like a year long contract. So I went for it and have taken this modem to multiple residences and now with Comcast and cox again as I have moved.

It was never an issue having my own modem, I don't even think that was a problem when I set up my appointment, as Comcast and cox have always had free installation each time I moved to a new place and I always just told the guy I had my own modem and he was like ok, and did the job.
#14pairenoid(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 5:42:21 PM
thanks all. I actually just called my apartment to ask if it was pre configured and ready to go and they had me call a time warner rep that works with the complex, and he said they offer the same services for $40 but can set it up faster, so I decided to stay with my $35 and wait ~2 weeks.

He said they charge more simply because hes a different rep, made no sense lol. He also said I have to have a tech sent out regardless to configure a 'tap', I am not sure everything else he said cuz I was also dealing with a delivery guy but he said it will be no issue to buy my own modem and have them set it up.

Will prob end up buying the sb6141 instead since I heard the sb6121 might cause issues with being too slow.
---
[i5 2500k][haf 912][asrock z68 ex3][powercooler 6870][8gb g.skill ripjaw series][OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W][hitachi 500gb]
#15LvthnPosted 7/3/2014 6:17:47 PM
The tap is where your in-home cable connects to the trunk line, aka the main cable system. When an account is cancelled (like when the last tenant moved out) the line is typically disconnected at the tap and terminated, pretty much to force whoever moves in to call and pay for cable rather than be content with free basic cable.
#16pairenoid(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 7:22:42 PM
thanks your answers were extremely helpful and right on point
---