This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

An individual whos personality is defined by their sexuality....

#21JKatarnPosted 7/3/2014 12:51:35 PM(edited)
Remember that statement the next time you get a spray on tan, gel your hair and head down to the local club to mack on younger girls TC. Also, I'm amused at the number of threads about a single character. Gay people exist in the world, take a deep breath, accept it, and move on.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#22rareware101Posted 7/3/2014 12:54:36 PM
HighOnPhazon posted...
Animorganimate posted...
These threads are awesome for knowing who to add "bigot" tags to. Social interactions are much easier when people wear their hate on their sleeves.

Yes, because if you don't agree, you're a bigot.

Nope. If you exhibit bigoted responses you're a bigot. Which you did in your other topic. A lot.
---
The Jeff Minter Llama360 Hardware Achievement - Unlocked after completing the Visualiser
#23Garage_ManPosted 7/3/2014 1:00:17 PM
JuliafanAM posted...
Garage_Man posted...
I do semi agree with you, I couldn't imagine letting my straightness define me...I am me. Take it for what you want, you know? The fact I like girls has NOTHING to do with me.

It does have to do with you. You can talk about your significant others in everyday conversation with 95% of other males and not really have to worry about their reactions. Dating is normal and expected. You get a wide variety of medium as which to view straight relationships from and relate with.

You don't really suffer from discrimination and a whole bunch of other issues LGBT have to deal with. All these things that straight people take for granted and don't have to worry about, gay people have to deal with. Even if you don't want it to be an issue, it'd be stupid to not conscious of these things and be aware that you have to do things differently from most people.

And ofc none of that is your fault. It's just different for different demographics. Somethings people aren't really aware of. Like some things I take for granted as a guy that women have to worry about. It's kind of the same thing.

I guess but I really don't judge people on it. I have a friend that is gay and so is my cousin. If they like other people who cares, point of life is to enjoy it with people you love. That is it.

See, I am also a little different, I don't talk to my friends about girls much..sexually or otherwise so these things really never come up in conversation.

I do however know most are judged a lot. Even my parents are a little more old fashioned. I do see where they are coming from. Hell, the fact this topic exists just goes to show how uneven the world is on the subject.
#24ssjsczrPosted 7/3/2014 1:00:35 PM
Animorganimate posted...
These threads are awesome for knowing who to add "bigot" tags to. Social interactions are much easier when people wear their hate on their sleeves.

They also bait nice amount of useless SJW who cannot handle any criticism without immediately resorting to tagging and labeling.If real world functioned like tumblr, then there would be no social interaction at all, because there wouldn't be a thing that you could say without "offending" someone (which is btw, the most ridiculous "argument" someone makes when they cannot debate on something).
---
With great power comes great responsibility, and a cool costume.
#25Sum_quod_erisPosted 7/3/2014 1:00:37 PM
JuliafanAM posted...
Sum_quod_eris posted...
JuliafanAM posted...
Stuff.

That's all well and good, but we're talking in relation to fictional characters and their personalities. Those aspects of oneself don't really apply here.

But fictional characters having romances in video games is very common, so it does relate. If a game were to completely remove or severely marginalize that aspect, I'd agree, but DA does not.

True enough. That said, Bioware writers are incapable of making it believable in the first place. That's why it really doesn't matter.

Believe me, I'd love for more games to actually explore the lives of their characters. It's just that it takes good writers to pull that off. For example, while not exactly what we're talking about, The Last of Us is great in that department. You get a good feel for the characters, their motivations, and their faults simply by progressing through the game. You even learn one of the characters is gay in the DLC and it fits right in with what the player knows of that character. Sure, it was decided after the fact, but it didn't take away from who that character is.

This Dragon Age one comes off as "So, hey, we made a gay guy because we hadn't had any gay guys before. Built him from the ground up as gay and then molded his background around the idea of him being gay." Like, what? How about you make the character's story first and see if him being gay makes it more interesting while you're doing so?
---
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Caidezes | http://www.goodreads.com/Caidezes | http://www.last.fm/user/Caidezes
#26WyzeGye(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 1:06:04 PM(edited)
JKatarn posted...
Remember that statement the next time you get a spray on tan, gel your hair and head down to the local club to mack on younger girls TC. Also, I'm amused at the number of threads about a single character. Gay people exist in the world, take a deep breath, accept it, and move on.

I'm a bouncer at a club, if I wasn't I'd never set foot in a club otherwise.

I never said anything against gay people. I said stuff against people who wear their sexuality on the outside. Before they open their mouth, or within the first few sentences they shoehorn it into conversation... That is shallow regardless of your orientation. And exhibits shallow writing on bioware's behalf.
---
http://puu.sh/8IK8Q/8e25ebacb7.jpg [My Rig + Specs] - - - - http://youtu.be/cfh4MK6kW3w
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.
#27steveboblarryPosted 7/3/2014 1:03:08 PM
WyzeGye posted...
...Is a shallow individual.

GG bioware, fire your writers.

This isn't a crack at lgbt lifestyles, it goes for anybody.

The fact that people are applauding these characters in games says a lot about those people if they don't realize that.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gBOoWjU3wDI/UFdS9Y-9_wI/AAAAAAAADCQ/q-psML1GNqU/s1600/slow-clap-gif.gif
---
IceJFish is the next drake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_d8VSM0nw
#28AlexTheNextOnePosted 7/3/2014 1:04:27 PM
JuliafanAM posted...
AlexTheNextOne posted...
Funny how things like this have to be forced into games now, instead of building characters and their personalities around the story, atmosphere, and lore of the world that the developers are trying to create, whether it be fiction or nonfiction.

Are you making, for example, a horror game taking place in a small Polish village around 1900-1910, yet are being blasted by the gaming press for being racist by having too many white people in it? It's a game about Poland. In the early 1900s.

Likewise, are you making a murder mystery game set in a modern, urban setting, where the protagonist at one point has to travel to the "gay district" part of the city to learn a critical plot point tied relevant to that district, and progress the story, but are being called out by homophobes for putting in gay characters in your game? It's relevant to the game you're creating.

But this is America, where, as of late, everyone and everything is inherently racist, sexist, and overall discriminatory.

The character in DA wasn't forced. The writer wanted him in and they've always had gay characters.

Besides unlike race, which was historically separated by geography (bar a few exceptions), LGBT are almost always present in society. It's a facet of human sexuality that's common enough in the population.

As for the -isms there is still a good deal of it out there. Not that we haven't made huge strides but people are still stubborn on a lot of fronts in terms of equality. Like entertainment.

If the character for Inquisition is not forced, and him being a gay character actually has a meaningful impact on the story of the game, great. More power to the writers.

I suppose I'm really asking "what happened to characters built around the story" in a general sense, not specifically targeting Inquisition. Because this kind of thing is being talked about a lot over the last few years, and there are plenty of white knights and the like who are advocating having gay/bisexual characters in games "just because", paying no attention to how it may affect the story of the game.

Also, my last comment was sarcasm. Just sayin'.
#29DaedalusExPosted 7/3/2014 1:06:16 PM
JKatarn posted...

Out of curiousity, would you support the inclusion of an in-game option to disable the character/his homosexual aspects?
#30JKatarnPosted 7/3/2014 1:09:01 PM
ssjsczr posted...
Animorganimate posted...

They also bait nice amount of useless SJW who cannot handle any criticism without immediately resorting to tagging and labeling.If real world functioned like tumblr, then there would be no social interaction at all, because there wouldn't be a thing that you could say without "offending" someone (which is btw, the most ridiculous "argument" someone makes when they cannot debate on something).

In the "real world" most bigoted/intolerant people keep their mouths shut because they know there's a very real possibility of getting a punch in the mouth/being hauled off by the police by standing at a corner yelling out racist/homophobic nonsense. There is no good reason to be against characters of a certain sexual orientation/race etc. appearing in a game, merely flimsy justifications because the people making them feel uncomfortable being confronted with the reality that gay/black/asian etc. people exist and the world isn't populated merely by white anglo-saxon jarheads.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES