This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

An individual whos personality is defined by their sexuality....

#31JuliafanAMPosted 7/3/2014 1:14:31 PM(edited)
I guess but I really don't judge people on it. I have a friend that is gay and so is my cousin. If they like other people who cares, point of life is to enjoy it with people you love. That is it.

See, I am also a little different, I don't talk to my friends about girls much..sexually or otherwise so these things really never come up in conversation.

I do however know most are judged a lot. Even my parents are a little more old fashioned. I do see where they are coming from. Hell, the fact this topic exists just goes to show how uneven the world is on the subject.

That's cool, I'm just commenting on how it's not like that for a lot of people. I'd love to be able to talk to most of my friends or family about my significant others... without feeling like I'm making them severely uncomfortable or that I'm over stepping any bounds. It's not just a luxury that I can enjoy atm.

But yeah, I do think sexuality seeps into everyday life a lot. People just don't notice it because it's "normal". When it's LGBT and something that makes them uncomfortable, then it all of sudden it's too much (well that's what it looks like my pov).

True enough. That said, Bioware writers are incapable of making it believable in the first place. That's why it really doesn't matter.

Believe me, I'd love for more games to actually explore the lives of their characters. It's just that it takes good writers to pull that off. For example, while not exactly what we're talking about, The Last of Us is great in that department. You get a good feel for the characters, their motivations, and their faults simply by progressing through the game. You even learn one of the characters is gay in the DLC and it fits right in with what the player knows of that character. Sure, it was decided after the fact, but it didn't take away from who that character is.

This Dragon Age one comes off as "So, hey, we made a gay guy because we hadn't had any gay guys before. Built him from the ground up as gay and then molded his background around the idea of him being gay." Like, what? How about you make the character's story first and see if him being gay makes it more interesting while you're doing so?

That'd be the ideal. Most of my favorite characters are straight, despite my sexuality. And that's because I do appreciate story and personality above sexuality. One note characters are never any fun. That said, I don't know if this guy is just going to be his sexuality. Zevran and Lilania were not. I don't know about DA2, never played that, but I'm hoping this guy won't be as well.

Also I don't have a lot of respect or admiration for EA/Bioware either, it's more like that I'm just happy that it's being acknowledged at all. I get that drawing attention to like this is just a marketing ploy, and that irritates people, but I still prefer there being options as opposed to not even getting anything.

If there were more developers willing to gives us gay characters, I'd feel differently.
#32LoshadtPosted 7/3/2014 1:25:48 PM
JuliafanAM posted...
but I still prefer there being options as opposed to not even getting anything.

If there were more developers willing to gives us gay characters, I'd feel differently.

And I think that is where a lot of the divide is. I don't think many people here have a problem with characters being gay, but it becomes a problem when their sexuality defines them, and if I had my choice I'd rather have no gay characters than have a couple of hamfisted and poorly written ones for the sake of diversity alone. In the case of Bioware games though it's not really a big deal since ALL of the characters are shallow and poorly written.

Fallout New Vegas did it right for the most part, where the companions were actually fleshed out characters that also happened to be gay. The only problem I have with it was with Arcade mentioning his homosexuality in a situation where it just doesn't make sense, because for some reason you HAVE to know he's gay.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#33ThePaleRiderpPosted 7/3/2014 1:28:14 PM
I just want the game to be fun.
---
Valar morghulis
#34WyzeGye(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 1:32:20 PM
Loshadt posted...
it becomes a problem when their sexuality defines them, and if I had my choice I'd rather have no gay characters than have a couple of hamfisted and poorly written ones for the sake of diversity alone.

Whoop, there it is.
---
http://puu.sh/8IK8Q/8e25ebacb7.jpg [My Rig + Specs] - - - - http://youtu.be/cfh4MK6kW3w
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.
#35JuliafanAMPosted 7/3/2014 1:38:00 PM(edited)
Loshadt posted...
JuliafanAM posted...
but I still prefer there being options as opposed to not even getting anything.

And I think that is where a lot of the divide is. I don't think many people here have a problem with characters being gay, but it becomes a problem when their sexuality defines them, and if I had my choice I'd rather have no gay characters than have a couple of hamfisted and poorly written ones for the sake of diversity alone. In the case of Bioware games though it's not really a big deal since ALL of the characters are shallow and poorly written.

Fallout New Vegas did it right for the most part, where the companions were actually fleshed out characters that also happened to be gay. The only problem I have with it was with Arcade mentioning his homosexuality in a situation where it just doesn't make sense, because for some reason you HAVE to know he's gay.

I see it as a "foot in the door" scenario. It's progress, not great, but hopefully moving somewhere better. Most minorities on entertainment medium like on film and tv were caricatures at first as well, before getting better as time went on.
#36RosencroitzPosted 7/3/2014 1:43:36 PM
whose*
---
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.
#37LoshadtPosted 7/3/2014 1:44:41 PM
JuliafanAM posted...
I see it as a "foot in the door" scenario. It's progress, not great, but hopefully moving somewhere better. Most minorities on entertainment medium like on film and tv were caricatures at first as well, before getting better as time went on.

From your point of view you see progress, but a lot of people just see it as hamfisted nonsense that actively brings down the medium. I think it's important for video games as a whole to explore new themes, but Bioware and EA do it because they use gay people as a shield from legitimate criticism and as such the characters are just a bunch of garbage that nobody (not even other gay people) can actually appreciate. That does nothing to advance the medium, it's just mindless pandering.
---
#38JuliafanAMPosted 7/3/2014 2:02:20 PM(edited)
Loshadt posted...
JuliafanAM posted...

From your point of view you see progress, but a lot of people just see it as hamfisted nonsense that actively brings down the medium. I think it's important for video games as a whole to explore new themes, but Bioware and EA do it because they use gay people as a shield from legitimate criticism and as such the characters are just a bunch of garbage that nobody (not even other gay people) can actually appreciate. That does nothing to advance the medium, it's just mindless pandering.

How is it bringing down the medium? It's not taking away from anything. It's getting blown up because topics like these are controversial, but in-game wise it shouldn't take anything up beyond what normal romance options do.

This isn't going to protect them from criticism. Few people are going to rally behind this game solely because it has a gay characters. DA has had LGBT in them since the beginning and DA2 was largely hated. I appreciate the effort to be inclusive, but no one's saying that precludes them from making a half-@ssed game.

Ideally we'd have both, but obviously a good game is what takes priority here.
#39LoshadtPosted 7/3/2014 2:06:26 PM(edited)
JuliafanAM posted...
How is it bringing down the medium? It's not taking away from anything. It's getting blown up because topics like these are controversial, but in-game wise it shouldn't take anything up beyond what normal romance options do.

This isn't going to protect them from criticism. Few people are going to rally behind this game solely because it has a gay characters. DA has had LGBT in them since the beginning and DA2 was largely hated. I appreciate the effort to be inclusive, but no one's saying that precludes them from making a half-@ssed game.

It brings down the medium because anything that is lazily or poorly designed does. In most cases though crappy things tend to repel people, but shallow gay characters for some reason attract tumblr nuts who latch onto it because it's progressive, and then they stir up s***storms everywhere else because they're vultures who feed off of other people's misery.

You would be amazed what idiots can do. You are not the average person, you can see through that kind of bulls***, but I swear to god I have seen people defend Mass Effect 3 (and by extension its ending) by saying I hate gay people. That's a level of insanity I can't fathom.
---
#40BuburibonPosted 7/3/2014 2:09:31 PM
I see where you're coming from, Wyze, but I'm afraid it's not quite that simple when your sexuality's had a major impact on how you chose (or were forced to) live your life. Question, have you already relocated to B.C.? As I'm sure you already know, the LGBT community here in Vancouver is pretty significant, and I'd say a great number of them do “wear their sexuality on the outside" for good reason.

Sadly, the horror stories of having to endure hell being discriminated, physically assaulted/abused and humiliated, ridiculed and shunned by family and "friends" are too common here. Many have had to change their legal names and leave their hometowns, provinces, and even countries in order to seek acceptance elsewhere and avoid persecution (sometimes death). So, my point is that it's fairly easy to understand why some would define themselves as LGBT first, because, after all, they've spent their lives fighting for the right to be just who they are. Besides, everyone knows it's the life that you lead that defines who you are... yeah, that's my two cents on this subject. :-)
---
Now Playing: Child Of Light (PC) | Watch_Dogs (PC) | Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC) | Mario Kart 8