This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Upgrading a cheap gaming pc, need help on the CPU

#1ItchyIsVegetaPosted 7/3/2014 11:02:46 AM
This is just a back up computer, not my main one.

I found a good deal at a local shop on 2 used Intel CPUs:

A Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz for $60, or a Q9550 2.83GHz for $85?

Computer's motherboard only maxes out at 4GB of ram, so it's not like I am wanting to spend a lot of money on this thing. Just a back up for a project, but I would like to at least play Black Ops 2 on it.
---
XBOX Gamertag: ITCHYisVegeta
#2JiazhenPosted 7/3/2014 11:27:45 AM
they're both a bad buy since the Pentium anniversary can be had for 70 bucks.
---
FX 8320 | XFX 280X | 8GB | GA-990FXA-UD5 | EVO 250GB | 3TB | HX620 | Carbide 200r
#3BannedMomPosted 7/3/2014 11:29:32 AM
disgusting. both are crap.
---
I5-4440 - Asrock H81M - Zotac 750Ti - CM N200 = Future Emulation and Gaming Build @ 1600 x 900
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.
#4qeoijlijwPosted 7/3/2014 11:39:21 AM
you're pc gaming wrong
get atleast a 4770k
go big or go home
#5BogePosted 7/3/2014 11:58:19 AM
Jiazhen posted...
they're both a bad buy since the Pentium anniversary can be had for 70 bucks.

Yeah, but now you just bumped up the cost with a new motherboard and RAM, probably another $$80 or so right there, so instead of $85, it's $150.

Yes, I'd go with the $150 myself, but when you're trying to keep the cost down...
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#6ItchyIsVegeta(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 12:03:15 PM
qeoijlijw posted...
you're pc gaming wrong
get atleast a 4770k
go big or go home

Apparently I wasn't clear about "back up computer", like when my little nephew comes over to play a game with me, so we don't have to share my i7 3770 with my 256MB SSD and 670 GTX system.

I'm not going to go big for a back up computer. Just want the best bang for the buck on a simple upgrade on a back up computer that currently has a Pentium Dual Core E6700 3.2GHz in it.
---
#7qeoijlijwPosted 7/3/2014 12:34:29 PM
Apparently I wasnt clear.
Go big or go home.
even for a "back up computer."
might as well just go to consoles if you're not gonna heed my words of wisdom
#8BogePosted 7/3/2014 1:59:03 PM
ItchyIsVegeta posted...
qeoijlijw posted...
you're pc gaming wrong
get atleast a 4770k
go big or go home

Apparently I wasn't clear about "back up computer", like when my little nephew comes over to play a game with me, so we don't have to share my i7 3770 with my 256MB SSD and 670 GTX system.

I'm not going to go big for a back up computer. Just want the best bang for the buck on a simple upgrade on a back up computer that currently has a Pentium Dual Core E6700 3.2GHz in it.

http://boges.forumotion.com/t873-one-computer-multiple-users-softxpand

I haven't tried it myself, but I'm real curious as to how well it works. Try it and let me know.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#9ItchyIsVegeta(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 3:55:26 PM(edited)
Wow, so far, no help at all. I have enough consoles qeo, and they dont play MMOs for when a friend and I decide to do 2v2 arenas, or whatever. I am also not going to buy an entirely new setup for a friend or my nephew to play Gary's Mod, Minecraft, or us to LAN up on Black Ops or Counterstrike one weekend a month; especially when all my backup system is primarily used for right now is browsing the internet, and maybe going into my MAME cabinet at the end of the year. Your words have no wisdom because you fail to see what I am using this for, by placing what you would do with whatever pile of cash you must have lying around.

Boge, I googled for benchmarks last night to compare the two, or CPUs that were close to it atleast. Problem is, I only find benchmark program scores, or framerates with older games from old articles, before games were optimized for more cores, when some benchmarks of current games on those CPUs would be more of a help.

Anyone else have any input? Just a simple "go with that cpu over the other because of this reason" would be a big help.
---
#10Sora_AnbuPosted 7/3/2014 3:59:45 PM(edited)
Hmm well how much total would you be willing to spend? Or what resolution will it be running?

Also, what video card will it be running?
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack