This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Shovel Knight is straight up a Nintendo game...

#11HighOnPhazonPosted 7/3/2014 3:06:36 PM
Boge posted...
Gosh dangit! I'm really 12 years old.

Dude you can get banned for this
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#12DawnshadowPosted 7/3/2014 7:11:06 PM
Boge posted...
I just don't understand this trend of making games with intentionally crappy graphics, sound, and music.... Why can't these games have updated sounds, music, and high resolution graphics?

Two reasons: first of all, the people who are designing games now grew up with pixel-based games. They have fond memories of the art style and the playstyle.

Secondly, graphics are EXPENSIVE, and not all indie teams have the money to hire a professional artist to do complex art. 3D is even worse than 2D, because low quality 3D graphics look a lot worse than stylized retro-style 2D. Same with music-- it's easier to do chiptunes than hire a professional orchestra or license music, and it typically sounds better than a synthesized MIDI
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#13kukukupoPosted 7/3/2014 7:24:19 PM
Boge posted...
I just don't understand this trend of making games with intentionally crappy graphics, sound, and music. If I wanted nostalgia, I'd just go play those TRUE old games.

Why can't these games have updated sounds, music, and high resolution graphics? I'm not talking Crysis quality, but at least forget about the pixels. Pixel art...there's a reason it was that way 25 years ago. It's because they could NOT do any better. Now people are intentionally making games with sucky graphics? I just don't understand the draw.

Shovel Knight is the best game of the year. Best graphics, sound, and gameplay. It narrowly beats out Mario Kart, IMO.
---
FC: 1091-8353-7458
#14sonicteam2k1(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 7:25:49 PM
kukukupo posted...
Boge posted...
I just don't understand this trend of making games with intentionally crappy graphics, sound, and music. If I wanted nostalgia, I'd just go play those TRUE old games.

Why can't these games have updated sounds, music, and high resolution graphics? I'm not talking Crysis quality, but at least forget about the pixels. Pixel art...there's a reason it was that way 25 years ago. It's because they could NOT do any better. Now people are intentionally making games with sucky graphics? I just don't understand the draw.

Shovel Knight is the best game of the year. Best graphics, sound, and gameplay. It narrowly beats out Mario Kart, IMO.

It's so good
---
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games
#15XtremeWRATH360Posted 7/3/2014 7:25:55 PM
Such an amazing game, i feel bad the amount of hate its been getting around these forums. Such an amazing game trying to recapture a special moment and time for us and people are hating on the look and price of the game. Damn shame people are going to miss out due to their ignorance.
---
Juan is........NUMBER 1!
XtremeWRATH-Gamertag
#16RavenoussdPosted 7/3/2014 7:38:01 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Boge posted...

Because it makes all these kids feel edgy and artistic when they play it

---
gamefaqs posters = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdwchohlMjI
#17DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/3/2014 7:46:04 PM
Boge posted...

The higher contrast lends it's self to picking out gameplay elements and relevant information more easily while also allowing for more abstract representations of information that can be associated more openly with concepts without the distraction of being deliberately abstract.

As for the sound and music, "8bit" chiptune/sounds sound nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUv-5iLZmFM
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#18PancettiePosted 7/3/2014 7:49:16 PM
Boge posted...

what's wrong with seeing what modern design could have created within old limitations
nothing wrong there, except you
#19PancettiePosted 7/3/2014 8:07:10 PM
pixel art hasn't stopped developing, this stuff gets beautiful

http://noirlacsourced.tumblr.com/archive/2014/6
#20jake-sfPosted 7/3/2014 8:19:28 PM
I'd take pixelated 2D graphics (much prefer the SNES-level of graphics, mind you) over cartoon style 2D, every single damn time.

The old style of graphics, just like a lot of style gameplay, is re-used because it actually works.

A lot of people think that old style graphics are just that, old. Or old style music just that, old. Limited technology made people create things far superior in my opinion than simple drawings, just like our old music created a sound that is absolutely unique.

Its absolutely sad when people can't see that about an art form like games. If you can't even appreciate why people like something like this, you really are just a fool.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/