This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it worth returning my FX 6300 for an i3?

#1fortehgoatPosted 7/3/2014 3:07:09 PM
I made a pc build and I was stupid and didn't bother to read details and the fact nobody likes AMD. Putting that out the window, is it worth changing my FX 6300 and motherboard to go with intel if I still can? I'll play on lowest settings regardless of what I can run, simply for the fact framerate > visuals. With that in mind, what do you guys think? Is it even a noteworthy difference?
---
Nichijou - Merry Christmas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PLwtM3_TTU
#2-CJF-Posted 7/3/2014 3:12:19 PM
Depends on the game, but personally I wouldn't go to all that to upgrade to an i3. The FX-6300 will run better in some games which use multiple cores such as Battlefield and it will be better at certain processing tasks. There is also the chance that newer games will utilize multiple cores and the FX-6300 would do well there. Just my opinion though.
#3smelly_boobPosted 7/3/2014 3:14:50 PM
so now there are two of this thread?
#4PhilOnDezPosted 7/3/2014 3:17:00 PM
What types of games do you plan on playing? The i3 will do a lot (50%+) better in MMOs, Starcraft 2, ARMA, Civ V, modded minecraft, PC exclusives basically. The 6300 will do a bit (10%) better in Crysis 3, BF4, and that's about it. Most games will be a wash but anything with a ton of units on screen or extremely demanding physics will do better on the i3.

If you mostly plan on playing console ports I wouldn't bother.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#5fortehgoat(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 3:17:35 PM
smelly_boob posted...
so now there are two of this thread?

No, you see mine is about changing something I've already done ;)
---
#6fortehgoat(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 3:19:18 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
What types of games do you plan on playing? The i3 will do a lot (50%+) better in MMOs, Starcraft 2, ARMA, Civ V, modded minecraft, PC exclusives basically. The 6300 will do a bit (10%) better in Crysis 3, BF4, and that's about it. Most games will be a wash but anything with a ton of units on screen or extremely demanding physics will do better on the i3.

If you mostly plan on playing console ports I wouldn't bother.

Most likely console ports (GTAV and Evolve) and Indie stuff or other non-demanding games. I guess then it doesn't matter.
---
#7PhilOnDezPosted 7/3/2014 3:24:43 PM
GTAIV was pretty CPU intensive due to its fancy crash physics. No idea how the GTAV port will be. Open world games in general tend to be pretty intensive. There's always the chance it'll be well threaded but there's no telling.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#8DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/3/2014 7:08:05 PM
If you're looking to bring your minimum framerates up, then yes, i3 is the way to go on that budget.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#9JiazhenPosted 7/3/2014 8:16:06 PM
Wait, you're thinking about switching because you think "nobody likes AMD"? the things people will do to fit in.

amd will be more than enough for your lowest settings
---
FX 8320 | XFX 280X | 8GB | GA-990FXA-UD5 | EVO 250GB | 3TB | HX620 | Carbide 200r
#10DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/3/2014 8:35:58 PM
Jiazhen posted...
Wait, you're thinking about switching because you think "nobody likes AMD"? the things people will do to fit in.

amd will be more than enough for your lowest settings

Quite the opposite; AMD is a bit **** if you plan to play lowest settings because CPU settings scale poorly in terms of performance, especially on AMD hardware.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross