This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How well does pc gaming work on plasma tvs?

#1eagles5769Posted 7/4/2014 8:12:21 AM
With plasma tvs slowly going out, there are some great deals and the picture quality is arguably better than most of what's offered with LED TVs. I want to hook my desktop PC up to a 60" plasma tv with controller for controller compatible steam games. Is pc gaming good on plasmas with little to no lag?
---
XBL/PSN/Steam: eagles5769
E8400 - Gigabyte UD3P - 4GB RAM - 4870 512mb 1080p - 600W PSU - Centurion 5 Case - 750GB HDD
#2SuigintouEVPosted 7/4/2014 10:55:34 AM
It's fine for gaming if you ask me. I have a 65" Panasonic ST60 and a 46" Panasonic TH-46PZ80 and they're great. The only real issue with the desktop is that I prefer not to use them for browsing and everyday usage. I've never even had image retention issues with games, with the closest thing being a slight afterimage being perceptable on black screen after long sessions of Ninja Gaiden Sigma, but nothing notable and that went away.

As far as input lag goes, it's only really competitive online gaming where that might screw you over and even then connection lag is worse. In most other games, you simply learn to time your button presses ever so slightly differently. And none of these are much better than an LED. So unless you plan on playing competitive fighting games, I wouldn't even think about input lag. Plasma TVs have great motion resolution and beautiful picture quality.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#3SinisterSlayPosted 7/4/2014 10:58:42 AM
Works fine for my on my cheap 55inch visio.
Just watch out of static images, you might get bad image retention or even burning.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4Killah PriestPosted 7/4/2014 10:59:08 AM
I get really bad image retention on my plasma when gaming but I put up with it.

The response times are pretty decent, not as good as my monitor but not to the point where you notice unless you're counting.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#5PhilOnDezPosted 7/4/2014 11:35:56 AM
I can't get browns/blacks to look right on mine. Console games and movies look fine but brown is way too dark and black may as well be an empty void when I hook my pc up. The blacks would be great if that was what it was supposed to look like but it even does it for heavy shadows.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#6SuigintouEVPosted 7/4/2014 12:04:51 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
I can't get browns/blacks to look right on mine. Console games and movies look fine but brown is way too dark and black may as well be an empty void when I hook my pc up. The blacks would be great if that was what it was supposed to look like but it even does it for heavy shadows.

Sounds like an issue with your graphics driver setup.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#7TheWayOfTheGunPosted 7/4/2014 1:48:42 PM(edited)
Works well for me. I gamed on a Panny VT50 and now I am gaming on that last true plasma, the Samsumg F8500.

I have mine ISF calibrated so the gamma for games with lots of dark scenes look amazing. The input lag isn't as good as LCD but plasma doesn't have motion blur. I play Left4Dead 2 often so I do have to rename the input to PC to get down to 45ms but that's good enough for me.

I care more about color accuracy and blacks than I do sharpness, peak brightness, and response time so plasma is a no brainer for me.
---
When asked if I am working hard or hardly working, I always respond in truth. I am simply working hard at hardly working.
#8TheWayOfTheGunPosted 7/4/2014 2:00:01 PM
PhilOnDez posted...

Check the color space. Your GPU is sending out the full 0-255 RGB signal so if you don't adjust for that on the set you will severely crush blacks.
---
When asked if I am working hard or hardly working, I always respond in truth. I am simply working hard at hardly working.
#9revolverPosted 7/4/2014 2:11:02 PM
They're great for single player games, but most plasma TVs have horrible input lag, even going up to 60-70ms vs 8ms or less on most desktop monitors.
---
2500K @ 4.5 | GTX 670 | 8 GB | TX 650 | 128 GB ssd | CM 690 II
#10LvthnPosted 7/4/2014 2:16:08 PM(edited)
It's good for any console port, and good for most games that don't have persistent UI, or drop them regularly for scenes. Latency isn't a big problem, at least no worse than it would be gaming from a console, and image burn-in hasn't been a problem for me, but I only play the above types of games.

Do not play MMOs, RTS, or 4X type games on TV, you're begging for UI burn in.

Also, FPS and other PvP games, the latency may bother you.