This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Damn.... that is all.

#31JKatarnPosted 7/5/2014 7:47:28 AM
LordOfLegacies posted...
JKatarn posted...
I'm sure that was a very rewarding and personally fulfilling career for you.

Get pissy if you want, but he made 10 grand without leaving his computer. You can't argue with the results.

x_stevey_x posted...
just imagine if they had real jobs they could make 10,000 every two months instead of once total

Maybe your mom is still willing to support you while you carry a $5,000 a month job, but most normal people are on their own when they hit that level in their career. They have bills, expenses, lives, etc that eat up a very large portion of their paycheck. So to get an extra 10k in one single month to spend as you please? Yeah, that is a lot of f***ing money. Grow up.

x_stevey_x posted...
except most of them are full time streamers and have no jobs because they devote their time to streaming in hopes of donations

ITT: Making a living by dedicating a whole lot of time and effort into providing a service isn't a job.

Who was getting pissy? I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of OP mocking streamers getting donations (which is legally allowed by TWITCH etc.) when he made his little chunk of change exploiting bugs in games and violating the TOS selling accounts.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#32JKatarnPosted 7/5/2014 7:54:15 AM
Hi C posted...
JKatarn posted...
Hi C posted...
Kid got gifted $10k in that video and is like "this is the most money I ever saw".

I made that Ebaying level 50 accounts in Everquest in like a month in 1999 not counting individual items.

Success = (Income / work) = reward

Scrubs live by arbitrary rules like what does and does not constitute a "real career".

I think a good criterion is one that doesn't revolve around violating the TOS of an MMO and illegally selling accounts, but I suppose sitting surrounded by pizza boxes for days at a time unshowered is just as rewarding as say working as an architect, accounting, programmer, artist etc.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#33derratePosted 7/5/2014 7:57:06 AM(edited)
Wow Kotaku is years behind.

Also he isn't some mystery man. He's the same person that was supporting Nihilum in vanilla. He loves WoW for some reason. And Lea is a WoW streamer.

God Kotaku is terrible.
#34derratePosted 7/5/2014 7:59:00 AM
Shub posted...
SneakiestNeg posted...
Oh god I hate tipping. I always forget that people in NYC don't make a living wage. In my country you give 5 euro at most, most people waiting tables are students anyway.

It's not just NYC, it's an American thing. I wish it would go away.

Fun fact, in other countries the food is more expensive relative to in the US where you have to tip.

If tipping goes away, your food prices go up too. It isn't some magical trend that is free from the laws of economics.
#35InferiorPeasant(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2014 1:25:05 PM
JKatarn posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...
JKatarn posted...

Get pissy if you want, but he made 10 grand without leaving his computer. You can't argue with the results.

x_stevey_x posted...
just imagine if they had real jobs they could make 10,000 every two months instead of once total

Maybe your mom is still willing to support you while you carry a $5,000 a month job, but most normal people are on their own when they hit that level in their career. They have bills, expenses, lives, etc that eat up a very large portion of their paycheck. So to get an extra 10k in one single month to spend as you please? Yeah, that is a lot of f***ing money. Grow up.

x_stevey_x posted...
except most of them are full time streamers and have no jobs because they devote their time to streaming in hopes of donations

ITT: Making a living by dedicating a whole lot of time and effort into providing a service isn't a job.

Who was getting pissy? I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of OP mocking streamers getting donations (which is legally allowed by TWITCH etc.) when he made his little chunk of change exploiting bugs in games and violating the TOS selling accounts.

Since when have I been mocking streamers? Do you see any of my posts saying they don't do real work?
#36ShubPosted 7/5/2014 3:13:12 PM
derrate posted...
Shub posted...
SneakiestNeg posted...
Oh god I hate tipping. I always forget that people in NYC don't make a living wage. In my country you give 5 euro at most, most people waiting tables are students anyway.

Fun fact, in other countries the food is more expensive relative to in the US where you have to tip.

If tipping goes away, your food prices go up too. It isn't some magical trend that is free from the laws of economics.

I know, I come from another country, but I live in the US. I'd rather the whole tipping thing was abolished and service people were paid more fairly. Works fine where I come from.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#37blax34dmPosted 7/5/2014 3:21:40 PM
Shub posted...
derrate posted...
Shub posted...
SneakiestNeg posted...

I know, I come from another country, but I live in the US. I'd rather the whole tipping thing was abolished and service people were paid more fairly. Works fine where I come from.

Tipping in the service industry allows people who are truly good at what they do and work hard to be compensated far beyond what the standard wage would be. I've got a friend who is a bartender who usually makes 45$+ an hour, and another friend who used to be a waiter and could usually do 25$+ an hour. If tipping was removed in favor of a standard wage- the very most a bartender or a waiter could hope for is 15$/hour and that's fairly generous for work that requires no skill and can be instantly replaced.

Summary: Nobody in the service industry I know would want to trade tips for a typical wage. They work hard and are able to make far more than a typical wage because of it.
#38mattcorley1212Posted 7/5/2014 3:37:45 PM
blax34dm posted...
Shub posted...
derrate posted...
Shub posted...
SneakiestNeg posted...

Tipping in the service industry allows people who are truly good at what they do and work hard to be compensated far beyond what the standard wage would be. I've got a friend who is a bartender who usually makes 45$+ an hour, and another friend who used to be a waiter and could usually do 25$+ an hour. If tipping was removed in favor of a standard wage- the very most a bartender or a waiter could hope for is 15$/hour and that's fairly generous for work that requires no skill and can be instantly replaced.

Summary: Nobody in the service industry I know would want to trade tips for a typical wage. They work hard and are able to make far more than a typical wage because of it.

This guy must have never been to a bar.. making drinks requires skill..
---
"this fit like clothes made outta wasp"
Steam ID~Matthewcorley
#39LordOfLegaciesPosted 7/5/2014 4:42:35 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
I don't think you know how much money $5,000 a month is. That is more money than some married couples make combined.

You sure you quoted the right person? The person I'm arguing with is saying that 10 grand isn't that much money and I'm telling him he's full of crap.Tekken9292 posted...
Ten thousand every two months, huh? So what classifies as a real job, exactly? I could probably become a ballistics expert at NASA and still not make that much money. Do NASA employees not have real jobs then?

I think you'd be making more than that. My parents both work for the state and they make 70k a year each.JKatarn posted...

I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of OP mocking streamers getting donations (which is legally allowed by TWITCH etc.) when he made his little chunk of change exploiting bugs in games and violating the TOS selling accounts.

Where I'm from, that's a textbook example of getting pissy.
---
OUTSIDE NOW I'M TALKING TO JACK OUTSIDE NOW IT'S POURING OUTSIDE NOW WELL FINE OUTSIDE NOW NO I'M TALKING TO JACK OUTSIDE NOW IT'S POURING OUTSIDE NOW WELL FINE
#40ShadowThaReaperPosted 7/5/2014 4:44:31 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
In the usa most people waiting tables that is their full time job and they're not students. They make less than 3 an hour and live off tips. If you don't leave a tip they don't make enough to live.

Federal law states that if your tips + your normal wage don't bring your paycheck to what minimum wage would be, your employer has to make up the difference.

They make at least minimum wage.