This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Don't know where to start learning how to Program

#11r7gerrabbitPosted 7/4/2014 6:26:36 PM(edited)
Try Python on codeacademy.
http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python

It's a decent program that teaches the basics of programming logic. All logic is more or less the same, learning a new language is fairly easy once you have basic logic down.

If you like that then look into Java/C# for more object oriented stuff. If you want to write smart phone apps, or are interested in doing anything like that then Java is a good place to start. Android uses Java, and you can get your first app up and running in 15 minutes or less.
---
Sig.
#12ClashtonnPosted 7/4/2014 6:25:52 PM
InferiorPeasant posted...
If you're going to college and majoring in CS shouldn't it all be planned for you? Talk to your consular... I wouldn't recommend trying to learn yourself until you start taking classes.

I highly disagree.

Programming isn't something everyone can learn easily. It comes natural to some, and near impossible to others. You need a very specifically logical mindset to excel at it. It's a really good idea to give it a shot before jumping into college for it.

Definitely give it a shot and see if it clicks. But don't expect it to fal into your hands quickly. It took me a book and a few tutorials before I even started to get the idea behind basic programming concepts, then once I had the first breakthrough it was all gravy.
#13ViolentAbacus(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2014 6:26:14 PM
If you're going to college and majoring in CS shouldn't it all be planned for you? Talk to your consular... I wouldn't recommend trying to learn yourself until you start taking classes.

Pal 080 posted...
I'd suggest leaving programming to other people as it seems entirely tedious, boring and unrewarding... though that's just my opinion!

Which is why you'll never get anywhere in life. Although, that is just my opinion. We're always going to need people to tell computers how to think (aka program).

It's really fun creating things.

Well, before I got my classes I had emailed the head of both the CS program at a few colleges and the head of the IT program at the CC I'm going to, and they both just said to take a lot of programming classes (not very helpful), and I don't get an advisor until after a few months into my first semester, so won't be able to talk to them about the CS degree until mid-first semester. I don't really want to wait that long, or longer, to learn how to program. I figure if I try to learn now I'll be able to go into college with a good foundation to build upon, or at least know some of the basic concepts.
---
While you bask in my glory, please try not to make me angry by writing words that don't exist in dictionaries.
#14r7gerrabbitPosted 7/4/2014 6:30:28 PM(edited)
Clashtonn posted...

I highly disagree.

Programming isn't something everyone can learn easily. It comes natural to some, and near impossible to others. You need a very specifically logical mindset to excel at it. It's a really good idea to give it a shot before jumping into college for it.

Definitely give it a shot and see if it clicks. But don't expect it to fal into your hands quickly. It took me a book and a few tutorials before I even started to get the idea behind basic programming concepts, then once I had the first breakthrough it was all gravy.

This post is correct.
Programming isn't something you can just learn. You either have a highly structured and logical mind, or you don't.

A bad programmer can still cobble something together, but someone that has the mind to do it can outpace them in every single way.

It is best to find out if you like it/have an aptitude for it before you go into a degree or any other training for it. Programmers that hate their job produce absolute crap code and us, the people that love programming, have to clean up that mess. You can tell when a developer is in it just for the money, or if they actually enjoy the logical though processes that come along with it just by looking at their code.
---
Sig.
#15MaxCHEATER64Posted 7/4/2014 6:32:25 PM
http://www.codecademy.com

Start with Javascript because it's easy to learn. Ya know how everyone says that once you learn a language (like Spanish) it's easier to learn other ones (like French)? Same thing, at least I hear, is true with programming.
But don't get hung up on the languages. Coding is a means to an end, and it's that end that's important. Yeah you should learn the basics, but at some point you need to figure out what you actually want to do and then figure out what you need to know to do that.

---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
#16ViolentAbacus(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2014 6:32:53 PM
r7gerrabbit posted...

This post is correct.
Programming isn't something you can just learn. You either have a highly structured and logical mind, or you don't.

A bad programmer can still cobble something together, but someone that has the mind to do it can outpace them in every single way.

It is best to find out if you like it/have an aptitude for it before you go into a degree or any other training for it. Programmers that hate their job produce absolute crap code and us, the people that love programming, have to clean up that mess.

Yeah, that's another reason I want to learn some before college (and the reason I'm getting the Associates in IT), because in IT there are other tracks I can specialize in if I don't like programming, and I won't be in the middle of the CS degree before I decide it isn't for me.

I think I can do the logical part (part of the reason I always loved math, even if I'm not the best at it), it just seems a bit overwhelming to try to begin with all the different languages and resources (main reason for this topic.)
---
While you bask in my glory, please try not to make me angry by writing words that don't exist in dictionaries.
#17r7gerrabbitPosted 7/4/2014 6:34:23 PM
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
http://www.codecademy.com

Start with Javascript because it's easy to learn. Ya know how everyone says that once you learn a language (like Spanish) it's easier to learn other ones (like French)? Same thing, at least I hear, is true with programming.
But don't get hung up on the languages. Coding is a means to an end, and it's that end that's important. Yeah you should learn the basics, but at some point you need to figure out what you actually want to do and then figure out what you need to know to do that.

Javascript shouldn't ****ing exist.
It's a necessary evil in the web today, but it is NOT a good place to start.
---
Sig.
#18InferiorPeasantPosted 7/4/2014 6:38:27 PM(edited)
I really hate when people imply that "you're either born with the ability to program or not"... it's really not that hard to learn these days given you have the dedication to do so and a love for computers and the ability to understand them for starters.. again, just my opinion.

Btw, I'm a CS major currently taking VB1, then VB2 & C++ 1 this fall.

Visual Basic is extremely easy so far and friendly, just design a GUI using a toolbox and let intillisense do the rest for you.
#19Orestes417Posted 7/4/2014 6:37:12 PM
Start with logic and flowcharts. Worry about language choice once you have the important part down.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#20InferiorPeasantPosted 7/4/2014 6:40:10 PM
http://csedweek.org/learn

Click on "Go".. now you're ready to be the next Bill Gates.