This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Don't know where to start learning how to Program

#21ClashtonnPosted 7/4/2014 7:42:14 PM
r7gerrabbit posted...
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
http://www.codecademy.com

Start with Javascript because it's easy to learn. Ya know how everyone says that once you learn a language (like Spanish) it's easier to learn other ones (like French)? Same thing, at least I hear, is true with programming.
But don't get hung up on the languages. Coding is a means to an end, and it's that end that's important. Yeah you should learn the basics, but at some point you need to figure out what you actually want to do and then figure out what you need to know to do that.

Javascript shouldn't ****ing exist.
It's a necessary evil in the web today, but it is NOT a good place to start.

lol

Have you not used it in like 15 years or something? Javascript is great now.

Not the best starting point, but it's a great language.
#22r7gerrabbitPosted 7/4/2014 7:43:29 PM
Clashtonn posted...
r7gerrabbit posted...
MaxCHEATER64 posted...

Start with Javascript because it's easy to learn. Ya know how everyone says that once you learn a language (like Spanish) it's easier to learn other ones (like French)? Same thing, at least I hear, is true with programming.
But don't get hung up on the languages. Coding is a means to an end, and it's that end that's important. Yeah you should learn the basics, but at some point you need to figure out what you actually want to do and then figure out what you need to know to do that.

lol

I do database work, and API's for a living.
Whenever I have to touch javascript/html/css I cringe and die a little inside. It's a horrible way to present/manipulate data.
---
Sig.
#23NoncasusPosted 7/4/2014 8:36:34 PM
If you want to start with a language I'd suggest C++. Once you got that down go with Javascript then Python.

Here's a book I heard is pretty good:
http://javascriptbook.com/
---
"but taking on Austin is like a small child trying to fight an army of Mike Tysons." - WWEPropaganda
#24a_Wizards_BakerPosted 7/4/2014 8:55:55 PM
r7gerrabbit posted...
Clashtonn posted...
r7gerrabbit posted...
MaxCHEATER64 posted...

lol

I do database work, and API's for a living.
Whenever I have to touch javascript/html/css I cringe and die a little inside. It's a horrible way to present/manipulate data.

Disagree. Javascript brought about JSON which is about the easiest, most flexible way to create and manipulate data. I've written countless SOAP applications using XML and believe me, if I had to choose I would pick JSON every time.

That said, because Javascript is sort of the 'jazz' of programming languages, I'd probably start with C or C++. Learn either one and you have a very solid foundation, which will enable you to pick up just about any other modern language.
#25sonicteam2k1Posted 7/5/2014 12:03:02 AM
Pal 080 posted...
I'd suggest leaving programming to other people as it seems entirely tedious, boring and unrewarding... though that's just my opinion!

I'd say the same about University in general :p

Based on previous topics like this though... expect a LOT of different answers and suggestions on where to start!

---
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games
#26InferiorPeasantPosted 7/5/2014 3:36:56 AM
Noncasus posted...
If you want to start with a language I'd suggest C++. Once you got that down go with Javascript then Python.

Here's a book I heard is pretty good:
http://javascriptbook.com/

I just don't understand why someone would recommend starting (with no previous programming experience) at C++ then Python?
#27KalammerPosted 7/5/2014 4:50:25 AM
Orestes417 posted...
Start with logic and flowcharts. Worry about language choice once you have the important part down.

This is the core, and often most difficult part of programming that pretty much every amateur overlooks.

Languages are the easy part. Being able to efficiently break down a problem into its fundamental building blocks, so that you can build a solution that is not only functionally correct, but easy to test and verify at every step, is what sets apart the good from the code monkeys.
---
"My job isn't to offer help in the way that you mean." - Boogiepop
#28ElementalWindPosted 7/5/2014 5:58:46 AM
Programming isn't something everyone can learn easily. It comes natural to some, and near impossible to others. You need a very specifically logical mindset to excel at it. It's a really good idea to give it a shot before jumping into college for it.
Also most schools are pretty bad at teaching the thought process behind programming.

Javascript brought about JSON which is about the easiest, most flexible way to create and manipulate data.
It also comes with a bunch of weird, ad hoc rules for implicit coercion that make even the implementors/standardizers have to stop and think about what a piece of code does. It will probably never get away from having to be backwards compatible with design mistakes Eich made in his rush to get _something_ out the door. Having a nice notation for serialized data doesn't really make up for all that given that you can serialize with that notation in any mainstream language.
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero
#29TI_FourPosted 7/5/2014 8:33:05 AM
Pseudocode. Seriously... Learning a programming language is pointless if you have no prior knowledge or experience with programming logic and design. You will just get lost and confused or you will learn bad programming habits or you will only be able to create buggy programs filled with flaws.
---
Yes, I am wasting time on these boards. Does that make me any less of a person? Well, just consider the fact that you are here doing the same thing.
#30stalker_sanPosted 7/5/2014 9:38:38 AM
Learn C first and then, afterwards, learn the object-oriented concepts of C++/C#.