This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Got new hard drives, questions about transferring data.

#1DisastersaurusPosted 7/4/2014 6:25:22 PM
So I managed to get a pretty good deal on a 512gb SSD and I had to get a new HDD because my old one was causing bluescreens and I didn't want to wait too long. I have a couple questions about transferring the stuff I don't want to lose; I'm using an External.

Sorry for any ignorance in my questions, first time doing this.

1. Is there any way to safely make sure I've successfully transferred over my steam game saves? I'd hate to lose my Witcher and Walking Dead/Wolf Among Us files.

2. Is transferring over installed games completely safe, or am I better off just reinstalling them on the new drives?

3. Any special precautions I need to take during the transfer?

Thanks!
---
video games are for children
#2Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2014 5:44:05 AM
Bump.
---
video games are for children
#3ivanwind15Posted 7/5/2014 5:52:13 AM
1. Check to make sure the files exist on your new drive...? I don't really understand the question. Save files in 99% of games exist in your Documents folder, so if you transfer that, you're good. Also, the games you listed are Steam Cloud enabled, so You don't have to transfer those saves anyway.

2. If they are Steam games, yes. Steam will see them and update your registry. Other games need to be installed again.

3. I answered these questions as if you're replacing your OS drive, since you weren't clear on that. But if you're not, make sure you map the SSD's drive letter to that of the old HDD.
---
My gaming Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ramblingtoad
#4DragnfyrPosted 7/5/2014 7:17:32 AM
In order to be sure that you transfer all your game saves over you have to search up the save game location for each game and copy them over. A lot of games do support cloud synching now but there are a fair amount that don't.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#5LordSeiferPosted 7/5/2014 7:30:58 AM
lets see.

copy game saves
make backup of originals
delete originals

are your saves working? if yes, cool. if no, restore backup
---
^ this