This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking into building a gaming PC, need tips/advice.

#1MagicSoulfire91Posted 7/4/2014 7:20:27 PM
I want to build a gaming PC for around $1000 that will play current games at high or highish settings. This is the build i have so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wh3fFT. Any advice on ways to make this PC cheaper or more effective for the money would be greatly appreciated along with any advice on individual parts if applicable.

Thanks in advance.
---
"At least your girlfriend treats all of her subscribers equally instead of giving them special mounts for bringing their friends." - bob the fish.
#2DAP1MP13Posted 7/4/2014 7:32:53 PM
Save over $100 by switching to i5-4690(k), lose the wireless adapter, USB network adapter, the case fans, and other useless stuff. Spend some more money on a better power supply.
---
NYC. The City never sleeps, it's full of villains and creeps, it's where I learned to do my hustle, had to scuffle with freaks.
PSN ID: DAP1MP13
#3MagicSoulfire91(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2014 8:54:40 PM(edited)
Rather new to building PCs (only built 1 before) but how will i cool my PC without fans?

Also, i was originally going to go with the i5-4690k but i was worried about performance loss/less lasting power. Is the difference between the i5 & i7 not enough to warrant the extra money?

Thanks for the advice so far i will look into other power supplies. is there something other than wattage that i should look for primarily? Also made me realise my motherboard has on board ethernet support (duh) thanks.
---
"At least your girlfriend treats all of her subscribers equally instead of giving them special mounts for bringing their friends." - bob the fish.
#4PhilOnDezPosted 7/4/2014 8:53:42 PM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GMTvqs

You'll likely be fine dropping all the fans as well, the case should come with some.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#52Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 7/4/2014 8:54:51 PM
Your motherboard has built in Ethernet and your case will come with fans. Most games now can't use the extra features the i7 gives
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#6CELTEKKPosted 7/4/2014 9:02:55 PM(edited)
Drop the fans, network adapter, sound card. Your motherboard has on board networking and sound. Your case will also have fans that come with it. You could probably drop the thermal compound also, you're processor will come packaged with thermal compound.

I'd recommend going with the i5. If you are just gaming an i5 will serve this build well. Withh the saved money, get a GTX 770 or upgrade your power supply.
---
i long to see their faces...
regardless of the decay
#7MagicSoulfire91(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2014 9:05:24 PM
Thanks for the quick replies :) looks like i will go with an i5 after all, also dropping all the useless adapters and a couple fans. Will my on board sound be fine for gaming & using with nice speakers? (im not very nit picky when it comes to audio i just dont want it to be poor quality/glitchy audio)
---
#8SuperemppuPosted 7/4/2014 9:06:16 PM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HvqYQ7

Here's a build with better gaming firepower and cheaper.

The case comes with 1 140mm fan in the front and 1 120mm fan in the back that will be enough airflow for your needs and the motherboard has networking (no wifi though), sound card and so integrated into it. Also by the time an top of the line i5 is going to suck, an i7 would be nearly equally outdated too.
---
If brute force doesn't fix the problem, you're not using enough of it.
#9SuigintouEVPosted 7/4/2014 9:08:33 PM
MagicSoulfire91 posted...
Also, i was originally going to go with the i5-4690k but i was worried about performance loss/less lasting power. Is the difference between the i5 & i7 not enough to warrant the extra money?

Depends whata kinds of game you play. CPU-intensive games that make heavy use of multiple threads might warrant the extra money, but I don't personally play stuff like that. Most games I play don't even let the CPU become a bottleneck before the GPU.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#10MagicSoulfire91(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2014 9:31:25 PM
Some games i would like to be able to play (have them on steam but my current rig wont play them well.) Metro: Last light, The witcher 2 & maybe 3, civ 5, Dishonored. One other thing i was wondering is how significant is the difference between a 770 with 2GB of RAM and 4GB.
---