This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Has anyone here played the Hexen games? How are they?

#1Vue35Posted 7/4/2014 8:33:06 PM
I'm considering buying these, are there any older games games like these can be compared to?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-bmlMJw1Z8
I have perfect micro skills.
#2Orestes417Posted 7/4/2014 8:38:12 PM
Heretic/Hexen was high fantasy doom/quake.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#3DiviDudePosted 7/4/2014 8:52:02 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Heretic/Hexen was high fantasy doom/quake.

Although I will mention that Hexen is much more puzzle based than Doom or Quake or Heretic.
#4kelemvorPosted 7/4/2014 9:02:28 PM
Oh wow... trip down nostalgia lane with this topic.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#5Orestes417Posted 7/4/2014 9:03:13 PM
Well yeah and more strongly hub based. Great games, but still picture doom with sharp pointy things and you aren't all that far off
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#6LvthnPosted 7/4/2014 9:17:11 PM
kelemvor posted...
Oh wow... trip down nostalgia lane with this topic.

This.

Also yeah, it was strongly similar to Doom or Quake. Enough differences that they aren't literally the same game but more than passing resemblance.
#7Lord_VaderPosted 7/4/2014 10:08:48 PM
If you loved Doom and Quake you will love Heretic and Hexen, respectively. They use the same engines. Heretic is basically Doom in a fantasy setting with an inventory system. However it feels like a different game since Raven made it and there are obviously different level/monster designs.
---
Live long and prosper.
#8GTL581Posted 7/4/2014 10:44:43 PM
heretic 1 and hexen 1 are both among my top favorite games. hexen having the slight edge for changing up the usual doom style level design.

as mentioned from others they are both heavily doom-y in feeling given that they both use the same engine, just with a dark fantasy setting and the addition of a rudimentary item system. hexen 2 is along the same lines but uses the quake engine so everything is 3d and whatnot, still fun though. can't speak much for heretic 2 as i haven't played it.

i highly recommend hexen and heretic if you're into doom type fps games
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#9Sir_Meowcat_EsqPosted 7/4/2014 11:01:41 PM
Heretic (essentially Hexen 0) is pretty much Doom with a classic fantasy motif. Hexen is Heretic with a backtracking/hub structure and mild RPG-lite elements (classes, magic). Hexen 2 is Hexen with Quake/3D graphics and a slight bit more RPG qualities (xp).

Heretic 2 is... entirely different and more like a fantasy Tomb Raider.

All good. Hexen 1 was probably best... I personally always liked it better than Doom.
#10kobalobasileusPosted 7/4/2014 11:06:06 PM
I played both Heretic and Hexxen back when they were new and cutting edge. They sucked then, and considering the vast amount by which the FPS genre has improved since their release, I can only imagine a first-time player literally dying from the concentrated awfulness. Stay away, TC.