This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Has anyone here played the Hexen games? How are they?

#11InterfusorPosted 7/5/2014 2:21:00 AM
Most awesome sword in any game: Quietus!
---
I am not economically viable.
#12jake-sfPosted 7/5/2014 8:04:07 AM
kobalobasileus posted...
I played both Heretic and Hexxen back when they were new and cutting edge. They sucked then, and considering the vast amount by which the FPS genre has improved since their release, I can only imagine a first-time player literally dying from the concentrated awfulness. Stay away, TC.

I like hearing things like this because I then wonder -> What do you look for in games?

Hexen is so much more than any of today's FPS can even hope to be.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#13DiviDudePosted 7/5/2014 8:08:00 AM
jake-sf posted...
kobalobasileus posted...
I played both Heretic and Hexxen back when they were new and cutting edge. They sucked then, and considering the vast amount by which the FPS genre has improved since their release, I can only imagine a first-time player literally dying from the concentrated awfulness. Stay away, TC.

I like hearing things like this because I then wonder -> What do you look for in games?

Hexen is so much more than any of today's FPS can even hope to be.

Pretty sure he's just a troll; no one actually thought "Hexxen" sucked back in the day, and for good reason.
#14revolverPosted 7/5/2014 8:23:04 AM
Anywhere these can be had for cheap? Also which one would hold up best today? I'm actually surprised I missed playing these back in my doom/duke3d/quake gaming days and the rpg elements sound cool.
---
2500K @ 4.5 | GTX 670 | 8 GB | TX 650 | 128 GB ssd | CM 690 II
#15Orestes417Posted 7/5/2014 8:28:22 AM
Probably go on sale during Quakecon on steam. Heretic 2 is the odd man out, pretty hard to find last I looked.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#16DiviDudePosted 7/5/2014 8:30:44 AM
And in the meantime you can/should check out Strife, which is probably the most complex of the Doom-engine games. Plus it's abandonware, so finding a legit download is fairly easy. (Use with zdoom!)