This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would any of these laptops be able to run RPG Maker smoothly?

#1JohnTheDropperPosted 7/4/2014 8:52:56 PM
It looks like fun. I just wanna make some games for fun. I was wondering if any of these laptops would be able to do that. The one I got now is not that great. It goes slow. Specially when I have Chrome open. But it still works so I don't wanna spend a lot of money. These are all used by the way.

http://tinyurl.com/nsycyop

PS

I absolutely do not have room for a PC and I need something I can carry with me anyways.
---
Philip's smart he beat the brain, I wonder if he'll beat us too someday.
But, I'm not gonna wait around to find out, I'll just keep on riding this wave.
#2Ivany2008Posted 7/4/2014 9:41:43 PM
Worse comes to worse, there are multiple versions of RPG Maker, so if one version has too high requirements you can choose to play a lower version of RPG Maker.

I think the newest one is RPG Maker XV: Ace, which in itself is 2 years old so requirements shouldn't be too difficult to match
#3DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/4/2014 11:01:30 PM
Get something with a screen size greater than 1366x768. That is a requirement. RPG Maker doesn't fit properly onto a screen of that resolution.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#4ChromaticAngelPosted 7/4/2014 11:28:30 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Get something with a screen size greater than 1366x768. That is a requirement. RPG Maker doesn't fit properly onto a screen of that resolution.

there is a workaround, but it's really inconvenient and impractical. It involves having your display extend beyond the borders of your monitor and you have to scroll around your display like an RTS map.
---
I am your savior. I am corruption. I am the angel, of your destruction.
I am perversion. Secret desire. I am your future, swallowed up in fire.
#5DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/4/2014 11:30:23 PM
You can also use a higher resolution and scale the image down, but that's not really a great solution either.
---
#6JohnTheDropper(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2014 2:30:19 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Would the 15 inch and up screens be big enough?
---
#7Tekken9292Posted 7/5/2014 2:42:22 AM
I used to work with RPG Maker 2000 and XP on a laptop that was horrible even for 2007 standards. I doubt VX would run that much worse. If you can't run these programs, then that's one hell of a potato machine you got there.
---
PSN ID: TekkenDevil9292
If it ain't broke... they'll break it.
#8JohnTheDropper(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2014 2:50:53 AM
It is an emachines that is like 5 years old. It does all sorts of weird stuff. Like when I open Windows Media Player for the first time in a while it will make a copy of every song in the song list. Also whenever I play Starship Trooper by Yes it freezes after like a second of getting into the acoustic part. Every single time. Doesn't do it with any other song. Plus the screen flickers now whenever I adjust it or it is touching something near its top.

I dunno much about system specs so I don't know which ones I would tell you about that are super bad.
It has 2 gigs of RAM if that is bad.
---
#9JohnTheDropper(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2014 2:59:34 AM
Hey I just checked and my laptop now is at that resolution. That seems like a good sign.
---
#10DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/5/2014 4:01:10 AM
JohnTheDropper posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Would the 15 inch and up screens be big enough?

Size isn't important. Resolution is. RPG Maker does not fit into 1366x768 on Windows Vista/7/8.

Tekken9292 posted...
I used to work with RPG Maker 2000 and XP on a laptop that was horrible even for 2007 standards. I doubt VX would run that much worse. If you can't run these programs, then that's one hell of a potato machine you got there.

XP/VX/Ace are definitely far more demanding than 98/2000/2003. Older RPG Maker programs were essentially PC RPG engines with an included development environment. XP/VX/Ace are ruby interpreter/game engine hybrids, and those ruby scripts can actually be quite demanding at times, especially large sort functions.
Newer RPG Makers also use a lot of expensive effects in software. No hardware acceleration at all, whatsoever. That blur effect when entering the menus? I made a HDR lighting effect using it, and it made every computer I tried it on chug down to single digit framerates.
Was a nice effect, though, if you could run it.
---