This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is hyper threading really expensive to implement?

#1castrejon04Posted 7/5/2014 10:19:12 AM
An i7 is just an i5 but with hyper threading and a slightly bigger cache for $100 more. Is it really costly to implement the hyper threading technology to the chip or is it mostly just to make more money?
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#2Lemur_HPosted 7/5/2014 10:23:35 AM
This might be something that can only be answered definitively by an Intel employee that works in a department that has to do with the CPUs and hyperthreading.

Maybe it is costly. Maybe it is a process they have down to a science and it is ultra cheap.
#3fataliPosted 7/5/2014 10:25:17 AM(edited)
Here's something you may not know, Intel only makes i7s, the cost for them to make an i7, i5,i3, pentium or celeron is THE SAME, because they are all the same chip.

Binning the processors they make, checking for any imperfections and turning off features that are defective in some chips is how they determine how every processor can be sold.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#4Lemur_HPosted 7/5/2014 10:25:33 AM
fatali posted...
Here's something you may not know, Intel only makes i7s, the cost for them to make an i7, i5,i3, pentium or celeron is THE SAME, because they are all the same chip.

Similar to GPUs that weren't good enough to become Titans can be used for lower end cards.
#5r7gerrabbitPosted 7/5/2014 10:31:57 AM
fatali posted...

Binning the processors they make, checking for any imperfections and turning off features that are defective in some chips is how they determine how every processor can be sold.

This.
A lot of GPU's and CPU's are the same. But because they're so delicate a lot of them do not turn out perfect and will not run as they're intended to, so they're sold cheaper.
---
Sig.
#6castrejon04(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2014 11:11:07 AM
r7gerrabbit posted...
fatali posted...

This.
A lot of GPU's and CPU's are the same. But because they're so delicate a lot of them do not turn out perfect and will not run as they're intended to, so they're sold cheaper.

Is that how the I5 and I3 come from?
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#7Lemur_HPosted 7/5/2014 12:03:10 PM
castrejon04 posted...
r7gerrabbit posted...
fatali posted...

This.

Pretty much. It's a lottery. It's easier to get batches of chips to shoot for the stars and then determine which chips are suitable for which series.
#8DragnfyrPosted 7/5/2014 12:04:23 PM
castrejon04 posted...
r7gerrabbit posted...
fatali posted...

This.

Yeah. Sometimes they even intentionally burn out fully functional chips so they can be sold as a lower end model if there is more demand for the lower end chips.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#9arleasPosted 7/5/2014 12:28:15 PM
Dragnfyr posted...
castrejon04 posted...
r7gerrabbit posted...
fatali posted...

This.

Yeah. Sometimes they even intentionally burn out fully functional chips so they can be sold as a lower end model if there is more demand for the lower end chips.

I've heard of people "unlocking" cores before so I assume that whatever they do to disable the cores isn't permanent.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#10Lemur_HPosted 7/5/2014 12:29:25 PM
arleas posted...
I've heard of people "unlocking" cores before so I assume that whatever they do to disable the cores isn't permanent.

I think that is another lottery. Some chips may unlock, others won't allow it.